Wicked Witch of the West's Hat

What makeup are you guys using? It looks a little too dark and too even if that makes sense. That was about the only criticism I can give here. Unless you don't bring them back out this year at D*Con. Then I'll criticize you for that. :)

We used PAX - a mixture of Creatix and medical adhesive. Goes on great over the appliances, doesn't rub off like grease paint, but a b!tch to get off of your skin. We probably won't be doing that again!

Great costume! Love the broomstick, too! I've been trying to make one for years but the correct broom straw has eluded me. Some have suggested I use raffia but it doesn't seem to fall like it does in the movie. Others have said they imported special grass from overseas. May I ask what you used? I had the stick portion made several years ago but I still need the two silver rings as well as the straw. Your help would be greatly appreciated! I do have a full-size reproduction of the witch's hourglass which was made by an artist on the west coast. The detail is fantastic!

I can't find/see the original pic :cry
somebody clue me!!!

MGM1060FAN, please post pic of your hourglass if you have some!
That was the scariest moment in the movie for me when I was wee.....
when the witch slammed the hour glass in front of Dorothy and told her she was gonna die!!
Yeah, red sand nightmares for a while after that!!!

Shylaah

Great costume! Love the broomstick, too! I've been trying to make one for years but the correct broom straw has eluded me. Some have suggested I use raffia but it doesn't seem to fall like it does in the movie. Others have said they imported special grass from overseas. May I ask what you used? I had the stick portion made several years ago but I still need the two silver rings as well as the straw. Your help would be greatly appreciated! I do have a full-size reproduction of the witch's hourglass which was made by an artist on the west coast. The detail is fantastic!

The broom straw was a real issue to find. I got very lucky tho - I was walking by a Pottery Barn and they had bunches of grass displayed in vases. They were on close out, so I only paid about $3/bunch. As I remember the grass was imported from China.

The metal "rings" are made of aluminum sheeting I bought at a hobby shop. I cut long strips that would overlap at least an inch and rounded off the corners to make them less lethal. I drilled two small holes in each end and threaded 16 guage wire through the holes and twisted the wire. You have to be pretty close to see it - it doesn't show for photos.

somebody clue me!!!

when the witch slammed the hour glass in front of Dorothy and told her she was gonna die!!

Shylaah

I'm afraid I lost the hat pictures when my hard drive crashed. You can see some more of it in the official costume pics from the Dragon*Con costume contest here Costuming Contest

Thanks MaulWalker. Can't make out the dress, but the hat and broom are certainly awesome!!! Great Job :thumbsup

Also, that sleeve you describe I believe is called a leg of mutton sleeve, or gigot sleeve.....if anyone else is looking for a pattern or to mod one.....

Shylaah

Thanks for letting me know where you stumbled upon the grass for the broomstick. I keep looking in the craft stores but haven't found anything yet. When I have come across what I think is the right grass it's about half the length it should be! I've been looking for YEARS! I also like your solution for the silver rings.

I will post some pictures of the hourglass as soon as I get a computer at home. I've been emailing from the library and from work.

Another witch prop I've been looking for is the large crystal ball. Last year I finally found a company that manufactures clear acrylic spheres so I ordered a 22" one with an 8" opening. When it arrived I was disappointed to see a line (not a seam) going around the entire ball. It must be from the mold. It's too distracting as it interferes with the clarity of any image I place inside the ball. A frustrating experience but I did get my money back and was able to keep the ball.

somebody clue me!!!

Shylaah

I'd be glad to send photos of the hourglass via my cell phone but I'm not sure how to exchange our information privately on this forum.

The cone is 14" high; the brim to crown measurements are 5 1/2" in the front, 8" in the back, 5" on the left, and 5 1/2" on the right.

Hello

what is the overall diameter of the brim? Just from looking at those measurements seems it wouldn't be a circle.

Thanks

It isn't a circle, more of an oval. I marked the head size and then marked the points on the brim from the head size. I then connected the dots with a smooth line.

Lynn

Yeah that is kind of what I came up with using CAD software looked really odd. Going with the 20" diameter one that I think the second version of the hat.

Wow, it's been more than a year since my last posts on this thread! I'm glad RPF sent me a reminder email!

After countless visits to local craft stores I STILL have not found the right straw for the broomstick! If anyone can lead me in the right direction please let me know.

Just this week I found something that might work for the 2 metal rings. Google "tart rings" or "baking rings." They come in various sizes, small enough to use for this prop, I think.

I'd like to make the Wicked Witch's hat some day, too! I watched "The Wizard of Oz" every year on TV when I was growing up in the 70s, and she was the one character I most looked forward to seeing. I was actually a little sad when she melted, knowing that I would not be able to see her "beautiful wickedness" again for a whole year. As an adult I have discovered so many other OZ fans out there who felt the same way. I love it!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back