Why Vader does not let Boba shoot Chewy???

Jamesfett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I love everything about the ESB Carbo scene and I love that Vader does not let Boba Fett shoot Chewy when he starts chucking Stormies off the edge but I always wondered why Vader did it.

Thoughts??? Is it ever explained in the novels? I read the OT novels numerous decades ago but I don't remember anything about it..

The reasons I always figured about that were...

1. He doesn't want Leia or Han accidentally shot.
2. He could use Chewie's life later on as a bargaining chip to coerce Leia to work against the Rebellion and that's more valuable than a couple of stormies.
3. Firing blasters inside the chamber might have been dangerous.
4. He wants everyone alive including Chewie to draw Luke out.

It's a cool character moment for Fett that he's side stepping Vader's authority by taking matters into his own hands and Vader ain't havin' it.

Last edited:
As long as we're at it,here's another mindbender for you:
during the final assault on the Deathstar , Red Six (Porkins) gets hit; over the intercom you can Red Three say:"Eject! Pull out!".I couldn't believe my ears.Use the ejection seat? In space?

Last edited:
My first reaction to the eject call was WTF but as I thought more about it I also figured maybe the whole cockpit ejects. I have come to realize in the many years since it first came out that since they were replicating dogfights from WWII they probably didn't even think about it and had it in for the dramatics of it.

Didn't some of the original screen tests for the Rebel Pilots in ANH have Breath Masks, kind of like modern pilots, and that is what the grey hose from the chest box was originally intended for? I swear i saw it mentioned, with a shot from the costume screen test photoshoots, with e mask in a thread on here, but for he life of me can't find it now. If my memory isn't failing me, that could be another explanation for the "Eject," that the pilots would have been able to be sealed in their flight suits and survive a limited amount of time in Space, until the masks got dropped for ease of seeing the actors faces and the line was left in.

40810019552_eb627f741e_c.jpg
X-Wing Full Face Prototype_zpstloivcmf.jpg~original.jpg
783_845x485p.jpg

The reasons I always figured about that were...

1. He doesn't want Leia or Han accidentally shot.
2. He could use Chewie's life later on as a bargaining chip to coerce Leia to work against the Rebellion and that's more valuable than a couple of stormies.
3. Firing blasters inside the chamber might have been dangerous.
4. He wants everyone alive including Chewie to draw Luke out.

It's a cool character moment for Fett that he's side stepping Vader's authority by taking matters into his own hands and Vader ain't havin' it.
Good question, but I think it centers around #4. Vader is only there for Luke and is obsessed with finding him. Killing Chewie (or possibly Leia) in that situation would be felt by Luke and throw off Vader's plan to draw him into his trap (possibly).

The main reason is likely Vader didn't want to lose bargaining chips, ie needed hostages to draw Luke out as everyone has said.

I'd always assumed a firefight in such close quarters would have been messy was another reason.

Plus Vader is in charge there, not Fett, so it very well could have been a means to put the bounty hunter in his place when dealing with a Sith lord.

As long as we're at it,here's another mindbender for you:
during the final assault on the Deathstar , Red Six (Porkins) gets hit; over the intercom you can Red Three say:"Eject! Pull out!".I couldn't believe my ears.Use the ejection seat? In space?

So, it's EU stuff, but pilots could eject. Imperial pilots had no internal life support in their craft, so their suits were always sealed.

Rebel pilots, or other pilots without sealed environment suits, had VERY small field generators in their gear (likely part of what's in the chest plate) that would seal around all or a portion of the pilot (potentially just the exposed head and neck areas, and the rest of the jump suit sealed to itself) to provide a survivable atmosphere when they ejected (the same way the field generators on a starship docking bay worked). The same tech would keep air filtered and heat generated to keep the pilot alive. They had to be picked up before their system ran out of power though, and I want to say that for that reason, they weren't kept very warm, to save on energy. so it was a survivable process, but not an enjoyable one.

Because he remembered that time Chewbacca saved his former padawan, Ahsoka, from Trandoshan slavers. And slavers give Vader an even shorter fuse than failing admirals.

Maybe singed Wookiee hair smells really bad, even for Vader?
A smell not even a self contained filtration system can filter.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back