Why is the RPF not incorporated?

J.Max

It seems to me that the RPF should be incorporated as a non-profit, especially if the staff is going to ask for donations from the members. Has this ever been explored?

Is it necessary to be a non-profit to ask for donations from members? No. In fact, looks like we even have non-members donating. If someone only wants to donate to non-profit organizations that's understandable. Everybody has a different criteria for how and where they spend their time, effort and money.

Non-profit was looked at after leaving Prop-planet. IIRC 501c3's process is time consuming and meeting non-profit requirements takes some additional husbandry over that of other small corp options.It appears that an LLC may serve our forum well and keep operation simpler and not as time demanding. Both donations spent on operating this forum and time spent staffing this forum are voluntary. Hopefully legal staffers like Obi Sean Kenobi and Squirk who have helped us before, can guide us there.

There is a huge advantage to incorporating as a real non-profit corporation...

First the donors (members) can claim a legit tax deduction for the donation... As it stands now if they attempted to claim the donation it could lead to audits...

Second the RPF "owners" don't have to claim the donated money as income and pay income tax on it...

Third protection of personal assets of the RPF "owners" or at least the person handling the money...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(exoray @ May 25 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]1250808[/snapback]</div>
There is a huge advantage to incorporating as a real non-profit corporation...

First the donors (members) can claim a legit tax deduction for the donation... As it stands now if they attempted to claim the donation it could lead to audits...

Second the RPF "owners" don't have to claim the donated money as income and pay income tax on it...

Third protection of personal assets of the RPF "owners" or at least the person handling the money...
[/b]

Yes, there are advantages, but as Rick said, there are costs and administrative headaches to weight against that. He would know more about the amounts of money involved as far as "donations" go. I would hazard a guess and say that the tax benefits, overall, would be minimal.

As far as protecting personal assets, that's a legitimate point as well. There's a good bit of emerging case law insulating board owners and moderators from liability for the posts of its members. I'm not sure how far that protection would extend to our unique circumstance.

It's not a bad idea, but pros and cons definitely have to be weighed, especially given the somewhat transient nature of the people behind the scenes here. What may seem like a great idea to some might be an administrative hassle to someone else who appears on the scene later.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(squirk @ Jan 25 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]1404635[/snapback]</div>
I would hazard a guess and say that the tax benefits, overall, would be minimal.[/b]

Tax benefits for the staff no, but tax liability yes...

$1000s of dollars of unclaimed, untaxed income (the donations) funneled through personal accounts?

Wouldn't want to be there in an audit...

Annual RPF accounting and tax filing are handled through a CPA.

Pretty cut and dried. All income comes in through the Paypal account and and all the "out go" is paid to software companies and internet servers through paypal.

Flexibility of an LLC is much more attractive to the needs of the RPF.
Than the non-profit process. I'm involved in 2 non-profit organizations now and have served on boards of other's previously. It ain't a cake walk especially for the first couple years..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedirick @ Jan 26 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]1405328[/snapback]</div>
Annual RPF accounting and tax filing are handled through a CPA.

Pretty cut and dried. All income comes in through the Paypal account and and all the "out go" is paid to software companies and internet servers through paypal.

Flexibility of an LLC is much more attractive to the needs of the RPF.
[/b]

Well I seem to have missed the announcment that the RPF was now a LLC and that the accounting and tax filings were being handled by a CPA... If this is the case then all should be good...

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back