Question Why are my posts being moderated? (answered)

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by Mathius, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Mathius

Mathius New Member

Moderation of new member posts (answered)

I read that new members posts are subject to moderation before they are actually posted. I posted something last week and it still isn't posted. How do we know if our message has been reviewed or not? I don't even see any record that I DID post the message? There has been at least one post in the thread since I remember posting.

2. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

re: Moderation of new member posts (answered)

All new member posts in the Junkyard are placed in the moderation queue and reviewed. Some new member posts in all the other forums are flagged, placed in the moderation queue, and reviewed.

Moderated posts are almost always reviewed within 24 hours of being posted. If the post is within the posting guidelines, it will be approved and show up on the forum, it it is not within the guidelines it is rejected and deleted. Because of the sheer number of posts that are moderated, the member is not notified regarding the results of the review. That is why it is important for new members to familiarize themselves with the Member Guidelines and Junkyard Forum Guidelines so as to avoid having their posts rejected.

3. Akin

Akin Active Member

I see the message at the top of the screen about how I'm a new member... but I've been with the RPF since 2007 and I used to have a lot more posts than it gives me credit for now.

While it's true that I went for a long time without posting and only came back a few months ago, I don't understand why my post count dropped to zero and I went on to new member status...

Thanks...

4. Montagar

Posts in the OT and Junkyard forums do not count toward your post count total.

5. Akin

Akin Active Member

Yeah, I know that.

That still doesn't explain why my post count dropped to zero. Like I said, I used to have a lot more posts than I do now... five years ago when I joined, I was quite active... then I was away for a year or two, now that I've returned, my post count had dropped to zero. So, I'm a "new" member who joined five years ago...

Back when I was active, in 2007-2008, I wasn't a new member. Well, I was at the beginning, but that didn't last long...

6. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

It probably has something to do with the move to this new server.

7. Akin

Akin Active Member

What new server? Because of the domain theft? It was going on before that happened.

If there was another move before that, before I became active again, did EVERYONE drop down to zero posts and become new members again?

8. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

Is there a thread that you can show us that you've posted that's in the time range you are referring to?

9. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Sr Member

I seem to recall something a few years back where yes, everyone's posts were wiped, but we were invited to let the mods know how many posts we used to have, and our numbers were manually adjusted. I'm guessing you were gone during that time.

10. DRD 1812

DRD 1812 New Member

I hope it's okay if I also ask a question here. I didn't want to start a new and somewhat similar thread.

I am also getting the new member message, even though I have enough non-Junkyard/OT posts. For me, it is a bit different, because my status was never upgraded from new member. My post count hasn't dropped to zero, either.

If anyone could help me out as well, that would be great.

11. Akin

Akin Active Member

12. Montagar

You are listed as a full access member, so your posts should not be getting moderated. Are you sure your posts are still being moderated?

We lost some posts back when we changed forum software (early 2007 I think), but we never wiped or zeroed anyone's post count. If you had attained full access member status previously, you would not have been switched back to a new member even if posts had been lost/deleted.

Right now you have 24 posts, 2 of them are from back in 2007, 1 from 2010. How many posts do you think you had back in 2007?

13. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

14. DRD 1812

DRD 1812 New Member

I don't think they are being moderated (since they come up right after I post), but I am getting the "you are a new member" message at the top of the forum. Since I am listed as a full member, is there a way to get ride of that message?

15. Akin

Akin Active Member

I don't have a listing of my posts from back when, so I can't say that the post where I said this and that, from this date, is missing. All I know is that I was fairly active in threads dealing with Firefly stuff back then, and that I don't recall my posts being moderated after a brief while when I first joined. I know I had more than two in 2007, plus I was active in 2008...

If we keep talking about it, I guess I'll exceed twenty again... hehehehe...

16. Montagar

We did not moderate new member posts back then, that is why you don't remember it.

17. GoGators

GoGators New Member

Haha... I agree about that message but I am actualy new to the forums... I was on TDH a while B4 I found RPF.

18. Akin

Akin Active Member

That would explain that, then...

Sooooo... what else can we talk aout in order to get my post total back over twenty, eh? *grin*

19. DRD 1812

DRD 1812 New Member

Whoa, the new member message is gone now...Neat.

20. nolatron

nolatron New Member

Moderated Posts - How long to approve?

Just wondering how long it normally takes for someone to approve moderated posts.

I posted a reply to a seller in the Junkyard yesterday and it still hasn't posted.

21. Montagar

Re: Moderated Posts - How long to approve?

Please refer to post above yours for the general answer... but, with the issues that we are having at the moment, it may take longer (assuming that it's a valid post).

22. nolatron

nolatron New Member

Re: Moderated Posts - How long to approve?

Thanks for info. Stupid me didn't think about the current issues causing additionals delays eithers :facepalm dur.

Thanks!

23. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

New Members' Posts and the JY

I'm currently running an interest thread in the JY and for some reason some posts from new members weren't showing up on my screen.

I got a PM from at least one requesting to be added to the run saying he posted, I just figured there was a glitch or he pressed the back button or something.

...but now, today, those posts magically appeared, timestamped as of yesterday, but not visible to me until today.

Is there some moderation queue they went into? Is there some procedure I don't know about? Or am I just losing my marbles?

I just don't want to skip over anyone who's interested because of this.

-Nick "Probably Losing My Marbles" Fox

24. Montagar

25. xcelsior

xcelsior Active Member

Re: Moderation of new member posts (answered)

Sorry, but the 24 hour period really isn't happening. I've submitted two posts to a Junkyard thread and neither have appeared. I'm just glad the seller PMed me so I could get in on the order.

(And there were per the request of the poster to clarify an order so if that's not a valid post I'd love some clarification on what's valid.)

26. Montagar

Re: Moderation of new member posts (answered)

Hence the "almost" in "almost always reviewed within 24 hours". :)

Just to be clear though, the purpose of the RPF is not to give people a place to buy and sell stuff. The Junkyard is offered as a "perk" to registered members, but it's not the reason for our existence or our main focus.

27. trueogre

trueogre New Member

Re: New Members are AUTOMATICALLY but NOT INSTANTANEOUSLY promoted after 45 days/20 p

Can I just say, it's annoying there's a delay on the junkyard. Everytime I post something to ask to be added to a list it has to be vetted. Granted I understand there's rules but, when I ask to be listed it's completely missed and I don't get added to any lists making it difficult to buy anything since my post is ignored since more people have posted in the interim period. It's just frustrating everytime I want to be added as an interested party I'm missing out and I don't want to spam the post. Granted I've not asked to be listed on many things but it's frustrating none the less.

28. Montagar

We are always looking for, and working on ways to better handle the day to day functionality of the site. We are working on changes to the Junkyard that may change the present situation, but either way, you can always use the personal messaging system to contact the seller.

29. puckface

puckface New Member

New member posting a thread?

Hi, I was wondering if you have to have a certain post count to simply post a new thread? I tried posting a thread showing off a sculpture I just finished, but it said it needed a mod's approval and I haven't seen it pop up yet. Maybe a mod just hasn't gotten around to it yet?

I read that you had to have a certain post count to advertise or sell, but I am not trying to do either in my new thread nor was it mentioned.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  30. Montagar

Please refer to the second post in this thread.

31. puckface

puckface New Member

Ahh thank you for the help. So according to the 2nd post, it may take up 24 hours to be reviewed? And as long as I wasn't attempting to advertise or sell anything, I'm in good shape?

Thanks again

32. Montagar

That is correct and if you take a look, you will see that you thread has already been approved. :)

33. puckface

puckface New Member

Oh wow, I haven't noticed. Thanks, pal. I appreciate all the help!

34. darkside501st

darkside501st Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

moderation of new member posts in the Junkyard

One policy/feature that I have found difficult to swallow is where new member posts in the Junkyard must be approved before they are displayed. What I really don't like about the way it works right now is that after the post is approved it is inserted into the thread at the time the post was submitted which can be a few days later. This can cause confusion and makes it look like the thread starter is ignoring members or selectively responding. I think that either the policy needs to change or the way this feature works needs to change. I know that other members feel the same way.

So if there is a way to make the post appear at the end of the thread when it gets approved then the policy is no problem. If not, then maybe it should be made so that new members either can't post in the Junkyard right away or that their posts don't have to be approved before they show up. We could rely on our members to report posts that are inappropriate in the latter case. I imagine that this would free up some of the moderators time as well.

Any other input on this or suggestions are welcome... this is just how I see it.

35. Montagar

Re: moderation of new member posts in the Junkyard

We moved your post from the "New RPF Sites Issues - Post problems and bugs here" thread because it wasn't related to issues created as a result of the site upgrade. This thread has a couple of posts (quoted below) that directly address your question/suggestion.