Question Why are my posts being moderated? (answered)

Re: Moderated Posts - How long to approve?

Just wondering how long it normally takes for someone to approve moderated posts.

I posted a reply to a seller in the Junkyard yesterday and it still hasn't posted.
Please refer to post above yours for the general answer... but, with the issues that we are having at the moment, it may take longer (assuming that it's a valid post).

Re: Moderated Posts - How long to approve?

Please refer to post above yours for the general answer... but, with the issues that we are having at the moment, it may take longer (assuming that it's a valid post).

Thanks for info. Stupid me didn't think about the current issues causing additionals delays eithers :facepalm dur.

Thanks!

New Members' Posts and the JY

I'm currently running an interest thread in the JY and for some reason some posts from new members weren't showing up on my screen.

I got a PM from at least one requesting to be added to the run saying he posted, I just figured there was a glitch or he pressed the back button or something.

...but now, today, those posts magically appeared, timestamped as of yesterday, but not visible to me until today.

Is there some moderation queue they went into? Is there some procedure I don't know about? Or am I just losing my marbles?

I just don't want to skip over anyone who's interested because of this.

-Nick "Probably Losing My Marbles" Fox

Re: Moderation of new member posts (answered)

Sorry, but the 24 hour period really isn't happening. I've submitted two posts to a Junkyard thread and neither have appeared. I'm just glad the seller PMed me so I could get in on the order.

(And there were per the request of the poster to clarify an order so if that's not a valid post I'd love some clarification on what's valid.)

Re: Moderation of new member posts (answered)

Sorry, but the 24 hour period really isn't happening. I've submitted two posts to a Junkyard thread and neither have appeared. I'm just glad the seller PMed me so I could get in on the order.

(And there were per the request of the poster to clarify an order so if that's not a valid post I'd love some clarification on what's valid.)
Hence the "almost" in "almost always reviewed within 24 hours". :)

Just to be clear though, the purpose of the RPF is not to give people a place to buy and sell stuff. The Junkyard is offered as a "perk" to registered members, but it's not the reason for our existence or our main focus.

Re: New Members are AUTOMATICALLY but NOT INSTANTANEOUSLY promoted after 45 days/20 p

Can I just say, it's annoying there's a delay on the junkyard. Everytime I post something to ask to be added to a list it has to be vetted. Granted I understand there's rules but, when I ask to be listed it's completely missed and I don't get added to any lists making it difficult to buy anything since my post is ignored since more people have posted in the interim period. It's just frustrating everytime I want to be added as an interested party I'm missing out and I don't want to spam the post. Granted I've not asked to be listed on many things but it's frustrating none the less.

We are always looking for, and working on ways to better handle the day to day functionality of the site. We are working on changes to the Junkyard that may change the present situation, but either way, you can always use the personal messaging system to contact the seller.

New member posting a thread?

Hi, I was wondering if you have to have a certain post count to simply post a new thread? I tried posting a thread showing off a sculpture I just finished, but it said it needed a mod's approval and I haven't seen it pop up yet. Maybe a mod just hasn't gotten around to it yet?

I read that you had to have a certain post count to advertise or sell, but I am not trying to do either in my new thread nor was it mentioned.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, I was wondering if you have to have a certain post count to simply post a new thread? I tried posting a thread showing off a sculpture I just finished, but it said it needed a mod's approval and I haven't seen it pop up yet. Maybe a mod just hasn't gotten around to it yet?

I read that you had to have a certain post count to advertise or sell, but I am not trying to do either in my new thread nor was it mentioned.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Please refer to the second post in this thread.

Ahh thank you for the help. So according to the 2nd post, it may take up 24 hours to be reviewed? And as long as I wasn't attempting to advertise or sell anything, I'm in good shape?

Thanks again

Ahh thank you for the help. So according to the 2nd post, it may take up 24 hours to be reviewed? And as long as I wasn't attempting to advertise or sell anything, I'm in good shape?

Thanks again
That is correct and if you take a look, you will see that you thread has already been approved. :)

moderation of new member posts in the Junkyard

One policy/feature that I have found difficult to swallow is where new member posts in the Junkyard must be approved before they are displayed. What I really don't like about the way it works right now is that after the post is approved it is inserted into the thread at the time the post was submitted which can be a few days later. This can cause confusion and makes it look like the thread starter is ignoring members or selectively responding. I think that either the policy needs to change or the way this feature works needs to change. I know that other members feel the same way.

So if there is a way to make the post appear at the end of the thread when it gets approved then the policy is no problem. If not, then maybe it should be made so that new members either can't post in the Junkyard right away or that their posts don't have to be approved before they show up. We could rely on our members to report posts that are inappropriate in the latter case. I imagine that this would free up some of the moderators time as well.

Any other input on this or suggestions are welcome... this is just how I see it.

Re: moderation of new member posts in the Junkyard

One policy/feature that I have found difficult to swallow is where new member posts in the Junkyard must be approved before they are displayed. What I really don't like about the way it works right now is that after the post is approved it is inserted into the thread at the time the post was submitted which can be a few days later. This can cause confusion and makes it look like the thread starter is ignoring members or selectively responding. I think that either the policy needs to change or the way this feature works needs to change. I know that other members feel the same way.

So if there is a way to make the post appear at the end of the thread when it gets approved then the policy is no problem. If not, then maybe it should be made so that new members either can't post in the Junkyard right away or that their posts don't have to be approved before they show up. We could rely on our members to report posts that are inappropriate in the latter case. I imagine that this would free up some of the moderators time as well.

Any other input on this or suggestions are welcome... this is just how I see it.

We moved your post from the "New RPF Sites Issues - Post problems and bugs here" thread because it wasn't related to issues created as a result of the site upgrade. This thread has a couple of posts (quoted below) that directly address your question/suggestion.

The purpose of the RPF is not to give people a place to buy and sell stuff. The Junkyard is offered as a "perk" to registered members, but it's not the reason for our existence or our main focus.

We are always looking for, and working on ways to better handle the day to day functionality of the site. We are working on changes to the Junkyard that may change the present situation, but either way, you can always use the personal messaging system to contact the seller.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back