White Jumpsuit patterns...AND NOT ELVIS!!!

BB43MAN

I'm looking for a good standard jumpsuit pattern and I thought this might be a good enough place as any to ask.

Standard design, belt at the waits that's sewn in, zippered front, pockets, you know....the standard jumpsuit.

Anyone have any ideas where I might get one of these badboy patterns?

Thanks in advance! :lol

Green Pepper patterns has a jumpsuit pattern but it needs alterations to the sleeves and arm holes to make it the standard look. Honestly, for all flightsuit I've ever made I use an Elvis pattern and alter it. The sleeves simply need to be narrowed so there is no bell.....same as the legs - I just take them straight down from the knee where they start to flare out. And the collar can be altered easily. Other than that it's a very basic pattern and a well fitting jumpsuit. Once you alter the pattern you never have to worry about altering your fabric. It's easy after that to add on whatever pockets or extra stitching you may need. I've never found another pattern. And let me tell you...I looked for a LONG time when they stopped making the Elvis pattern. There may be some out now that I haven't seen, or Green Pepper may have a new design. But the altered Elvis pattern is my go to every time.

Well that's easy enough to fix. Or are you looking for something that would be made like a catsuit-ish?? More fitted? If so.....Kwik-Sew makes a basic catsuit pattern that I use a lot as well. It would be easy enough to cut out larger so it wasn't super tight. If you can let me know what you're trying to build I could be of more help.

Agreed. If we know what you are trying to build we can more easily point you in the right direction. A jumpsuit implies a coverall or flightsuit style garment like the Fett man wears. Kwik sew has a pattern for this that I like better than the green pepper. http://www.kwiksew.com/catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3389

I'll also second the catsuit info. They also make the best, easiest to use patterns for dancewear, catsuits, and the like.

Edit. Found it on the Kwik-Sew sight. Not out of print.

Last edited:
OK. Didn't want to say yet but, you pried it out of me! (he he).

A jumpsuit of the type from The Black Hole. Like Robert Forester wore. The material type eludes me (still trying to figure out what type that is) but, it's the pattern I also need. Thanks to Bradleyfett's awesome PALOMINO patches, I just found my costume for Wonderfest!

Post pics. The higher quality the better. I can identify me some fabric by sight better than most.

Its hard to be secretive and get help around here. We have a lot of really knowledgeable folks on this board that are always willing to lend their advice, but they need information to do so. Its also helpful to post pics as not everyone may be familiar with your costume and probably aren't going to look for the reference themselves.

Here are some pics that I have so far. I'm not too worried about the turtleneck but the material of the jumpsuit itself, and the pattern, has got me.

Any help is appreciated, if I haven't said anything before. :)

Looks like either the Kwik-Sew coveralls or the Green Pepper pattern will work for you with some alterations. The KS I'd start by cutting the pattern a size smaller than you are. Not sure about the GP sizing, but most patterns tend to run large. Mock it up in cheap muslin first to get the fit right.

The fabric looks almost like upholstery. Looks like a cotton or cotton blend, but nothing I'm familiar with offhand. I'd check home decorator stores. It doesn't look like something you'll find easily though. Good luck!

Actually, I dont think the uniforms were jumpsuits, but pants and a separate jacket much like the later STNG costumes. I'll see if I can screen cap some pics tonight.

Brian

Oh wow....that IS some odd fabric. I agree with Darth Mule.....I'd be looking at upholstery....maybe even drapery fabric.

Hey BB43MAN,

Did you get any further on this? I'm interested in making one of these unis myself, so please keep me in the loop.

For anyone asking about those Palomino patches you mentioned, I'm hoping to do another run if I can get enough orders. Take a look at this thread for more info:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/palomino-uniform-patch-black-hole-101857/

5224297508_d14f98a152_o.gif
5223709951_173db59628_z.jpg

M

I'd look into quilted fabrics like this as well

Quilted Solids - Unbleached Quilted Muslin

its not exact Im pretty sure because those are fine diamonds and the jumpsuit seems to be almost....mmmm.....herringbone patterned?? It's hard to tell as its all white and kind of blurs. But if you can't find anything else something like that might do.

oh and I just found this fabric in my collection of fabrics that I have....all I know is it is a heavy cotton that has an almost "smooth/silky" feeling to it. I don't think this is considered quilted. In the pic I have it folded over so the left side is the "wrong" side of the fabric and the right side is the "right" side. I found fabric like this at Mood Fabrics in L.A. in the apparel section. One pic is with flash to show the color and the other without to show more of the pattern. Don't know if that helps you at all but thought just in case I'd show it to give you an idea of some fabrics that are out there.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back