where to find a monkeys paw?

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
it occured to me that with all the other junk i have on the walls and on the shelf, why not branch out into books i dig? this is the basis of one of my favorite short stories, but even with a google search the closest i can come up with is a taxidermy site to buy a monkey.

which, while its cool, i just need the paw.

so.... anyone have any ideas? i havent been feeling the love from google lately so theres a chance i missed something.

thanks in advance.
chris

:eek

Why not stalk, catch and rob a monkey of his paw...name him, "Lefty" and keep him as a pet?

wow.... lotta posts with little help :p

yes, this story has been adapted into a ton of other media (simpsons, obviously). for such a popular story though, im actually a little shocked that no one has a monkeys paw on the desk somewhere.

appreciate the link juno, itll help if i end up having to build one. i really dont want to try and sculpt this out of sculpey though. fake fingernails, skeleton hand (child size) and some fake fur would work, but i was hoping some place had talismans for sale.

chris

I put monkey paws in the same catagory as Ivory, Rhino Horn and Elephant feet furniture.

This is a replica prop forum. Replicate one.

I asked for one once, as a birthday gift around 1994 or 95 - the closest I got: a mummified paw my parents saw in Egypt that was out of the price range for a joke gift. So I have a mummified crocodile paw, which was apparently just as creepy bit way smaller/more affordable. I might not even have it any more - haven't seen it in years, and it might not have survived the various moves I've made since then.

In New Orleans (close to you, right?) you can get the dried up alligator paws - they look pretty freaky deaky.

Stupid Flanders.

Well, really, would you want something that's actuually sold as a talisman? Wouldn't that give you just the tiniest bit 'o the creeps? I knew someone that had two Native American skulls her father, an archaeologist I guess, had givern here: one was a woman, and the other was a child, and it was TOO creepy. However, I have a plastic skull that looks totally real sitting on a shelf, and it doesn't bother me one bit. If you touched it, though, you might thinkn it's real. It was for a prank I never ended up pulling, but someday I may. And when that day happens, I'll enlist the aid of my fellow RPFers...but more on that later. ;)

I wrote you a PM...let me know what you think.

-Eddie

actually, let me clarify.

I DO NOT WANT AN ACTUAL MONKEY PAW. i really dont want an animals body part sitting around my house.

i just want a replication of the monkeys paw (ala jedirick mentioned).

sorry for the confusion on that part.

the iconic "in my head" paw would be the paw, and a small brass or silver endcap on the wrist, like a talisman shop would have done to one. not something really for a necklace, maybe a keychain or something instead if you follow that direction of thought.

again, sorry for any confusion. although, i gotta admit im a little disturbed that someone could think i would want to kill an animal for a dust collector on the prop shelf. hence the mention of taxidermy shops in the original post. fake monkeys. fake monkey fur. etc etc.

chris

Yeah, the Native American skeletal artifact bit creeps me out as well. Museum specimen for research and study, fine. Collectibles, nope. I have a couple Cherokee friends in Virginia that make a practice of quietly acquiring such human tissue artifacts from collectors in trade for points and other stone tools and then make an annual pilgrimage to the Cherokee reservation here in North Carolina and bury them on sacred ground. This includes scalps, bone, preserved decorated flesh, ears, fingers, teeth and other "trophy" body parts.

My Step Fathers Brother used to have 2 REAL Shrunken heads on display as you entered his house.

Back in the 80's I tryed making a miniature Howling werewolf hand out of latex over a cotton, toothpick and wire armature with styrene sprue nails.
For the hair I painted on the last coat of latex than pressed more cottom balls into it.
Once the latex was dry I gently pull the cotton until it looked like hair.

I used to keep it in my car and everyone thought I had a real albino monkeys paw on the dash.

I think it was about 4" long.

Fair amount of work but it looked cool.

D6

"Here's a place I plan on using in the future...who knows, maybe she could whip something up for you?

Anyway, here: http://www.customcreaturetaxidermy.com/"

holy crap...that is the awesomest website ever to be an awesome website...not only can i get a half dozen skinned squirrel heads for $30...but i can get feejee mermaid......oh my god...how bad do i need a feejee mermaid? (my birthday's coming up in like 7 1/2 months...hint hint :D )...skott

I got a human skull on my desk, not sure who it came from. It was a woman for sure. My pops got it while in medical school. It is sawed off from the forehead back so you can take the "scalp" part off and see inside.

When I was in college I use to get drunk and put the "scalp" part of the skull on my head like a yamaka and dance around. My friends would always get creeped out saying I was going to hell.. but I already knew that. hehe

It'd be sweet/creepy if you made it "twitch" in the users hand after you say somthing, like a "wish", voice activated or somthing.. Just like in the short story.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsbspidey @ Apr 20 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]1230043[/snapback]</div>
"Here's a place I plan on using in the future...who knows, maybe she could whip something up for you?

holy crap...that is the awesomest website ever to be an awesome website...not only can i get a half dozen skinned squirrel heads for $30...but i can get feejee mermaid......oh my god...how bad do i need a feejee mermaid? (my birthday's coming up in like 7 1/2 months...hint hint :D )...skott
[/b]

Later on, I was thinking about doing up a Victorian room, like those old, "Museum of Oddities," places and getting things like the chimera, etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtsbspidey @ Apr 20 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]1230043[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

Yeah, who can go without a Fiji Mermaid in their collection??? Not me.... :p

I actually got mine from Sarina about 2 years ago, and can't stop looking at it every time i'm in the room.. She does awesome work, and guys, she does not harm nor kill any animals creating any of her display pieces....

" Yeah, who can go without a Fiji Mermaid in their collection??? Not me.... tongue.gif

I actually got mine from Sarina about 2 years ago, and can't stop looking at it every time i'm in the room.."

sadly the wife nixed the mermaid...she said it'd be too creepy (and yet she's ok with the finger*...weird)....skott

* - for my birthday a couple years ago a friend of mine gave me the ring finger from a woman's skeleton...weirdest berthday present ever

ps - sorry for the slight hijack...but to bring it back on topic...if you decide you want a real paw let me know....there are a lot of occult shops in philly...i might be able to find one (it would probably be really expensive though)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back