When is the Polar Lights NX-01 large model coming out?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Betamin, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Anyone have any info on this? Seems like it's taking forever to be made available for sale......

2. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I hear that only the very first kits have been received in the states, the bulk of them are on the boat from China.

I'd say... a few more weeks? [​IMG]

- karl

3. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

I'm pretty sure I read in a recent issue of Toy Shop that the large scale (1/350) 1701 from TMP is due 4th quarter 2004, and the large scale (1/350) NX-01 has been put on indefinite hold to to some molding problems. I read a bunch of model mags last night, and cant't remember which one It was in. Like I said, thought it was Toy Shop.

4. phase pistol

I have it on good authority that the above "rumor" is absolutely not true. The kit is definitely in production, has been for a couple of weeks, and they should be on the shelves in the not too distant future.

No delay due to "molding problems".

This is out of an email from the guy who designed the kit. [​IMG]

- Karl

5. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Cant wait!

6. Naked Brain

Naked Brain New Member

The kits are supposed to hit the states/distributors around the 12th of April, according to Dave Metzner of Polar Lights...

Yes, a long time coming, but I'm sure it will have been worth the wait. [​IMG]

7. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

I thought I heard it was supposed to be out last summer. At leat it will be in time for the shows cancellation. [​IMG]

8. Mr. E Man

Mr. E Man Well-Known Member

Should be on hobbyshop shelves by mid-April. Mail-order sites may have it slightly earlier than that, according to PL.

E

9. Betamin

Cool! Thanks for the info, everyone. I definitely want to get one when it finally hits the stores. There's a Hobbytown USA near me that carries some good kits, and they have the Bandai and PL stuff there. Unfortunately the Bandai kits are usually priced VERY high, so I found it's probably better to hit Ebay and try to snag any of those kits at a lesser price. I'll keep my eyes open for the NX-01 when it gets there to see what they price it at.

This is probably old news, but it looks like they have pics of the unpainted kit on monstersinmotion.com.

10. Naked Brain

Naked Brain New Member

11. phase pistol

I preordered mine from Scalehobby... on June 09, 2003! [​IMG]

- K

12. Betamin

Thanks! [​IMG]

13. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

Just ordered my kit from Megahobbies. Ship date 04/09/04. Woo-hoo.

14. phase pistol

15. Betamin

Nice! Thanks, Phase! [​IMG]

16. phase pistol

Some people over on Starshipmodeler BBS reported getting the kits in hand, so it won't be long now! [​IMG]

- Karl

17. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

18. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Got mine in today and all I can say is *...

This is going to take me FOREVER to finish.

The trick will be lighting it. Do you go with lightsheet, a slew of LED's, or perhaps something more old school like custom interior Neon Tubing?

So many possibilities... [​IMG]

-Gary

19. Barnstormer

Barnstormer Well-Known Member

This is a big kit. Really big.

Excellent, kit. Just a few years ago, I thought that science fiction modeling had bottomed out as a hobby, with the 2 biggest licenses (Star Trek and Star Wars) both dropped. Now, between Polar Lights and Fine Molds, this is the best time ever to be a science fiction model builder. For hobbiests who want a well engineered, carefully researched, truly acurate kit, the NX-01 is a landmark.

20. PHArchivist

Time to go shopping...! Is it in retail stores yet?

21. phase pistol

22. phase pistol

BTW last weekend Scalehobby screwed me... they retroactively upped the price of this kit $10! [​IMG]

You had to pay them the extra, or else cancel the kit. I went ahead and PAID... [​IMG]

Anyway, while you're waiting for kits, check out these super detailed reference images at the Polar site! [​IMG]

HUGE pictures!

http://www.playingmantis.com/pl/color/color.php

= k

23. Naked Brain

Naked Brain New Member

All of us who ordered from Scale Hobby got screwed...

Steve's excuse was that Polar Lights raised the cost at the last minute, but that's BS, because it's not supposed to happen (and HASN'T) until the second wave of shipments.

Every other retailer on the web still has the price at $41.95 and $42.95. I cancelled my order and asked for a refund. I turned around and ordered from Mega Hobby for $41.95 and should have it on Friday.

I won't be ordering from Scalehobby again. [​IMG]

24. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

Well. I just joined the ranks of the Polar Lights Enterprise NX-01 owners. I just ordered it from MegaHobby.com. It was less than $50 shipped. So if you are going to get one I would suggest MegaHobby. I think the price will only increase as sales pick up on this kit.

Just my opinion!

Can't wait to get it![​IMG]

Kenny

25. PHArchivist

This will find its way to retail stores won't it?

26. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

Hey guys, I have an update on this kit as to where the lowest price is. I get this info now when I ordered mine this morning!!!!

Anyhoo, modelroundup.com has them for $39.90. I just recieved an email from them just moments ago. I didn't think that they would have it since they didn't carry the Klingon D-7 by PL. But, the have it in stock now.

PHArchivist, why wait for the price to go up or run the risk of the stores not carrying it at all. You will pay in the neighborhood of $40-50 for it even if it does come to the stores. Ordering if from one of these online stores all you are paying extra for is the shipping!

Just wanted everyone to know!

Kenny

I am always a day late and a dollar short, I tell you what...I..don't ....know ...what ..the world.......................

27. PHArchivist

Good points! [​IMG]

28. TheSt.LouisKid

TheSt.LouisKid Sr Member

My local hobby store has the NX-01 for $60. When I was a kid I made models that I bought with my allowance. Either some kids are going to miss out or allowance is a lot more than it used to be.

29. Spellbinder99

Spellbinder99 Well-Known Member

Depends how long ago you were a kid. I used to get $2 a fortnight when I was a teen. A big Airfix kit cost $5-$6.

I know some kids at home get $100 a fortnight now or have to get jobs at McD or KFC like my son has.

Now and then is apples and oranges when you talk about such things and personally I think $40-$60 is peanuts for a kit like this.

Cheers

Tony

30. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

OK, I gotta ask..... Whats a fortnight?

Is that after a turdnight? No, really what is it?

31. Spellbinder99

Spellbinder99 Well-Known Member

2 weeks....[​IMG]

32. Smiling Demon

Smiling Demon Sr Member

I recieved my kit today and this thing is friggin huge. It is really a cool kit. It has a lot of clear parts makes for easy lighting. Even the port windows are in clear plastic!
    The ends of the nacelles are made with holes in them for LEDs it seems. Now if someone could put their talent to work and make the nacelle lights that would be great!

Kenny

33. Betamin

Well, I swung by the Hobbytown USA here in town and they had 3 of the kits sitting up on the top shelf! I looked at the price, and expected something really high, and saw "retail price $59.99. Hobbytown price $49.99." So........... I now have a really huge kit sitting in the living room and a lot of paint to buy.............

34. Betamin

Any tips on the best way to attempt to paint the "aztec" panels? I was thinking some kind of low tack material to put over the base coat and cut out the areas. Any tips anyone could offer?

35. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you can hold off on painting this kit rumor has it a company will be making templet masks for this kit.

This company in fact
    http://www.meteorprod.com/

36. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

I just had a look at the kit the other day in the hobby shop I frequent...its quite large...very impressive...I like it.

37. PHArchivist

Got mine today... $49.99, retail store.

38. Betamin

Anyone know of a good place to get lighting kits and such for attempting to light this puppy? With all those windows set up and ready to go, this thing begs to be lit up. Not sure about how to do the engines though...... It also looks like you have to paint a lot around the clear side segments of the nacelles. No fun!

39. PHArchivist

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Betamin wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    With all those windows set up and ready to go, this thing begs to be lit up.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Agreed!

40. SSRN Seaview

SSRN Seaview Well-Known Member

41. Betamin

That's cool on the template and the light kits. I'll just hold off for a bit and see what comes up before diving in to the kit full bore.

42. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

I picked up this kit at the Chiller show for $45. This is worth every penny! It is an awesome kit - BIG and detailed. I'm not an officianado on this ship but it looks pretty accurate to me [​IMG] I agree painting this guy is going to be a bear. I was thinking of scaling the pics that PL gave us of the ship for referecento the actual size of the model then printing out the pics and using them and rough templates, and least as a guid for laying down greasepen lines to paing it later, but a true template would be awesome!

Jedi Dade

43. Betamin

I was thinking about using a projector with an overhead and underneath pic of the saucer area, sized up and projected down onto the model to use as a template to pencil in the shapes to paint. It'd probably be a major job to do it though.....