What's your biggest prop regret or guilt?

Ugh.

I regret being generous, or gullible- whichever fits. Seventeen years ago I found out through the old SciFi magazine about lightsabers and graflexes, kobolds and MPPs and King Sols. I went on a whirlwind tour of every camera shop in Riverside and San Bernardino county and snapped up a dozen different flash guns. I said something on a board about it, and someone asked politely if he could buy one. Feeling sympathetic, I sold him a King Sol for $15, I think. I even cracked a joke about Vader polishing the Smiley sun face on the butt of the handle.
The guy received it and immediately came on the board and bragged about how he 'swindled some idiot ' out of the handle, then STOLE my Vader joke like he wrote it himself!

Man that still gets me.

Not a regret, just a disappointment, and half my fault.
I ordered a custom lightsaber hilt from Randomsabers, back before he/they/whatever got backlogged to death. I sent a turnaround view of my design, and specified that it was supposed to be hollow. Then the representative sent me a render of the design in a file format I couldn't open. He asked if the design was correct, and I said yes assuming he hadn't screwed up my design, since it was pretty simple and straightforward. Lo and behold, he made it solid, without a hollow interior, a fancy paperweight.

Home Depot used to stock some heavy wooden dowels of some kind of red colored wood. It wasn't redwood the species, because redwood is very soft and light (in terms of weight). But the wood in question was dense and heavy like oak, and red like redwood. Anyway, they stopped stocking it years ago, much to my disappointment.

There used to be a Baker Plastics in town that sold scrap sheets of acrylic, PVC, and delrin. Then they restructured as glass-only suppliers. Another disappointment for me.

A few years ago I bought a recast of a Power Rangers morpher, but with custom modifications that I requested, so that it was unlike anything that is generally available. The recaster did a beautiful job. The disappointment came later. I royally ****ed up the paint job, and wound up giving it away to a fellow Power Rangers fan. So it wasn't a total waste. Just to clarify, the morpher was not simply the only recast I've ever bought, it is to this day the only custom prop I've ever bought in general. So it was 1 recast, and I gave it away. I hope that puts me in the clear.

I have two...
The regret- Not buying a Serenity browncoat when i had the chance.

Guilt- Not a prop but Doctor Who related. I took Matt smith and Karen Gillan's paper cups they they drank out of durring the filming of Angels in Manhatten and a stick Matt Smith was digging around with while waiting to film the next scene. They walked away and I took them. I felt like such a creeper but i'd do it again.
matt-smith-on-location-in-central-park-filming-another-episode-of_3823119

Hilarious that Matt Smith was "digging around with" a stick. He somehow manages to become more and more interesting all the time. Oh and I would have done the same thing if I was in a similar position. Amelia's cup.....oh my.

Last edited:
Fantastic thread. Someone else mentioned this but I regret getting into this hobby as late as I did. I was only 15 when MR started up but I could have received some awesome Christmas gifts over the years. I would give a kidney to be able to have been there for the Y-wing, Falcon and AT-AT preorders. I don't even know what the old MR site looks like....

I had pre-ordered an MR 'Signature Edition' Millennium Falcon but cancelled my order just a week before it was due to ship. I just felt I couldn't justify the cost for something that I was not able to display at the time. I still wouldn't have room to display it now but I still kinda wish I had one. I could have always pulled it out of the closet and looked at it once and while. Now they are selling for somewhere around 4k.

Last edited:
Well mine is an odd one.....way back in 1997 or so I taught Matt Smith (Dr Who) at Northampton School for Boys.
Shame I didn't keep in touch!
I do get to tell all my new classes that I taught Dr Who though!
He he

I bought a MattMunson multi-pass kit and promptly lost it. Still in the ziplock bag somewhere. I regret that.

I feel guilty because I saved and saved to buy an engagement ring for my girlfriend. Then I used that money to build a Tardis. And now that Tardis is in 25 pieces and stuffed in my shed and will only come out once or twice a year.
Clearly the RIGHT decision! *waits for high five*

*still waiting*

Mine goes back to about 1976 or 77 when I went to a local convention in Richmond Virginia. There were these two guys in the huckster room whose names were Brad Nelson and Bill Hickey. Bill was selling uniform shirts and patches as well as some communicator kits. Brad was selling Phaser Two's with lights and sound. The Phaser sold for $100.00 and since I had saved all summer and had that amount plus a little more I felt that it would be a waste to spend that much money on a Phaser as there was so much more to buy in the room. I just had to have a Tribble and some posters and such. I did however buy a patch from Bill which I still have today.
Looking back I should have bought the Phaser. That Phaser today would really mean something to me. At least I have the command patch I bought from Bill and a great memory.

about acquisition,it's the collector duality...

-choose a "not to bad" choice,to have something in collection...then,obtain a average quality specimen.

-wait for perfection,that may never come,and keep a flawless dream in the head,or something that could do the job.

With experiment and knowledge,I think everyone begins with average stuff and try to increase for better stuff,more detaled,more accurate,rarer,or vintage.
It's not easy to be greedy as a collector,especially for a beginner.

As far as I remember,this is how I do:
-I discover a leisure,and I buy,with a few knowledge only
-then,I own,and own more,time for buying what can be bought...and in the same time it's time to see what exists,and I begin to see some differences.
-then knowledge and experience help to choose the best,and be very difficult with new items,and it makes me sell the first items I bought...
-and when the hobby "dies",when it happens,I mean,when I stop the collection,because of place or money,I keep only the knowledge,and I am happy to see similar items some years later,and it's time to share memories.

Two things that have tarnished my mind and the first being the ultimate. I'm an Aussie and many years ago on eBay here in Australia there was an original ANH Vader tour suit for sale complete with the original metal case. I had about $5,000 in my budget but went out the night it ended and didn't place a bid and the damn thing sold for about $1,200 AUD I think, bugger! I also had many years ago the Celtic Touch ESB Vader helmet and sold it to buy another motorbike and looking back now should've kept it. The same helmet can be viewed on Star Wars Helmets.com site and it now resides in Canada. The best thing is that the guy who now owns it loves it which doesn't make me feel so bad.

Mine would have to be not nabbing a metal sandman blaster from a friend before he went overseas. Did not fire but was nice to look at and felt like a real weapon when I held it. Second was not nabbing a Coyle sandman blaster years ago when I had the money. Wish the heck I would have grabbed it.

I have only the general regret that I came late to the party in discovering prop and costume collecting and some of great pieces from some of the great movies and franchises of the past have all been scarfed up by other collectors and may never again see the light of day on the market in my life time, and if they do, I doubt I'd be able to afford them.
Dan

Two things that have tarnished my mind and the first being the ultimate. I'm an Aussie and many years ago on eBay here in Australia there was an original ANH Vader tour suit for sale complete with the original metal case. I had about $5,000 in my budget but went out the night it ended and didn't place a bid and the damn thing sold for about $1,200 AUD I think, bugger! I also had many years ago the Celtic Touch ESB Vader helmet and sold it to buy another motorbike and looking back now should've kept it. The same helmet can be viewed on Star Wars Helmets.com site and it now resides in Canada. The best thing is that the guy who now owns it loves it which doesn't make me feel so bad.

The tour suit sold for just over $700.00

http://www.therpf.com/f9/vader-tour-suit-78269/

Last edited:
My really lousy Headpiece of Ra is one... lucky for me it was really cheap, otherwise I'd have a real Sad over that one. (It's not even round!)

And a piece I bought, and found out after the fact, while I was awaiting shipping the guy was a big re-caster. If I had known before hand I wouldn't have bought from him, and knowing now, I feel guilty I bought from him anyhow, even tho I didn't know.

My main regret is having sold my LOTR Anduril limited edition replica from Unitled Cutlery.
I did obtain a great price from it, and was indeed needing the cash badly at that time, but it was such an awesome piece that i'll ever regret it.

I have no guilt spending lot of money on props now anyway ^^

(also regreting not having found this forum earlier tho)

My biggest regret was paying Dinosaur Josh 500.00 dollars over 2 years ago for a Velociraptor head bust and not getting anything from him. Apparently this guy screwed many of people and joined the military so is impossible to get a hold of now. :-(

My biggest regret is not seeing the Stargate auctions sooner on e-bay, I could have bought more props :)
, 2nd regret was when I bought the very last Destiny scrubber panel from VIP for 455 dollars just to get the "hero" light panel for my existing one.
I didnt want to pay the 200 bucks to have the whole panel shipped, so just had them send me the electronics and told VIP they could do what they wanted with the panel ... they later sold on e-bay for a grand ... but it does have a happy end, as the guy who bought it later purchased one of my 3 pieces of the "Destiny" Stargate which I decided to sell rather than it gather dust
... 3rd regret was not sniping high for the Destiny countdown clock or the Atlantis "Aterro" device
... but "Happy Ending" was later having enough dosh to acquire the SG1 Hero DHD, the Atlantis DHD Glypys (they just interchanged the SG1 dialing glyphs for the Atlantis ones when filming Atlantis episodes as they only ever made one hero DHD), and then also having the spare cash to acquire the Ori Mother Ship Control Chair ...... Have spent in total over 150k dollars on props but looking at what happens to banks these days, I'm glad Ive spent all my cash to buy something everlasting and value holding rather than have it in a bank account where someone [like the government] can take your savings at will if the country goes down the toilet

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back