Vader Tour Suit.

jedimaster

Sr Member
Just wondering if anyone here won this ebay auction in july 08 ? It was located in melbourne Australia for pickup only. It had its original flightcase and was stamped 20th Century fox 1979. The story was that this ladies husband played vader when the promo tour was on.

Whoa...ANH too..love to hear details if this was legit..

It was legit alright. Her husband had recently passed away and she was clearing out the stuff. It was listed on ebay australia with local pickup only due to the size and weight of the box. I placed my bid and watched for 3 days. it was listed under "darth vader costume". I only stumbled across it as i was looking for a cheap rubies supreme edition. On the final day of the auction i placed my final bid and took my r2 to a local con for the 501st. The auction ended at 7pm. the same time as the con. Confident that i had won the
"HOLY GRAIL " of star wars costumes , i was ready to organise a courier the next day to collect and ship my goods.

on returning home from the con i was devastated to find that someone had beaten me. I thought i had entered ten times the amount that it went for but looking back at my highest bid , i had missed a zero off the end and lost the suit.

to this day i have a deep resentment for anything 501st and kick my droid every time i think of it. It is only now after 19 months that i am able to speak openly about it.:cry

How do you know the suits the real deal though ?
Did you view it ? see any decent pics ? i mean anyone can make a story up saying it's their deceased husbands suit.

How do you know the suits the real deal though ?
Did you view it ? see any decent pics ? i mean anyone can make a story up saying it's their deceased husbands suit.

there was another pic with the close up of the 20th century fox 1979 plaque , but i cant find it , sorry. Looking at the wear on the suit it looked pretty old and worn. Maybe Gino or sansweet can id this suit.

Wow! I remember this auction.. I actually bid on it too.. Can't remember how much it went for.. Know that it was more than I put on.. Definitely looked like a legit auction.. Though didn't save pics from it.. Would be nice to know where it ended up.. I even told them I didn't mind what shipping was to Sydney..

Wow! I remember this auction.. I actually bid on it too.. Can't remember how much it went for.. Know that it was more than I put on.. Definitely looked like a legit auction.. Though didn't save pics from it.. Would be nice to know where it ended up.. I even told them I didn't mind what shipping was to Sydney..

Are you ready for the price? Warning!! this may cause a disturbance in the force.

Ah that's why I didn't win.. Think I only had something like $455 or around that.. Pity you missed out, been looking at doing up my own Vader suit with bits and pieces, just trying to find the better parts so i can work out pricing..

:cry:cry:cry what a sad story.
Sorry you didn´t win. Would have been very intertesting to see such a treasure on this board.
I had nearly the same story when I was bidding on a Freeborn Yoda head on Ebay and had my friend bid for me, because I had to got to Celebration Europe.
My friend forgot the time difference between Germany and America:confused:cry

:cry:cry:cry what a sad story.
Sorry you didn´t win. Would have been very intertesting to see such a treasure on this board.
I had nearly the same story when I was bidding on a Freeborn Yoda head on Ebay and had my friend bid for me, because I had to got to Celebration Europe.
My friend forgot the time difference between Germany and America:confused:cry

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry Would love to know exactly what this would be worth to a high end collector though. Could you put a price on such a rare piece of movie history?? on second thoughts i dont want to know. I may need more therapy and i dont know if my r2 can take to many more kicks.

that freeborn yoda head would have been nice. Is the guy still your friend or is his body lying in a ditch waiting to be found?

Tour suits are not considered very rare (when compared to say any of the Vader costumes seen on screen).
Most of them don't match the screen used costumes anyway. Depends on the individual component.

Last edited:
They are actually quite rare and are collectors items, much more so than replica suits/costumes. Take it from someone who actually collects original props.

If this were to come to auction again it would fetch a lot more than $7,500. Great piece of history if it could be confirmed as authentic.

Jez did a review of one on www.starwarshelmets.com and to quote Jez an expert in his field, who advises the big auction houses.

Every now and again something really interesting crops up and this July ('08) I received info from a long-standing collector of a recent acquisition - a near complete promotional Darth Vader costume. Now stuff like this is a rare find, but this particular costume - and especially the helmet looks like it will create a lot of interest within the prop community...

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
july 08 thats the same one. he got that for $755AUD. ******! sorry in the nicest possible way. i'm just the other bidder who lost out. He would have probabally gone higher than $7500 anyway. Now i feel a little better.

Yes, I think that's the one from Jez' website. So that's where it is coming from.

There is a theory that the helmet is the one seen on the ESB movie poster. If this is true, it would be a quite valuable item. I would say that this authentic tour costume is worth a lot more than what the ebay winner has paid for.

Yes, I think that's the one from Jez' website. So that's where it is coming from.

There is a theory that the helmet is the one seen on the ESB movie poster. If this is true, it would be a quite valuable item. I would say that this authentic tour costume is worth a lot more than what the ebay winner has paid for.

^ Agreed...something that's tied to even the promotion of the original production(s) would have great value. Considering most quality fan made helmets alone go for more that what this whole costume sold for....helluva find! Cool piece of Vader history.

After reading Jezes article and looking at the pics its definately the same suit. I was so close to that. I'm going to kick my droid.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back