What's up with all the fighting?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by TheNuclearHorror, Jan 30, 2006.

1. TheNuclearHorror

TheNuclearHorror New Member

Hi,
    Noticed several threads where people are being openly nasty to each other.
    Mostly with no cause.
    This is not limited to the crazy helmet threads where everything is on Def Con 4.
    So what is irritating people so bad that they feel the need to strike out at people that could be friends?
    We are here for our common interest.
    This is just a hobby and is supposed to be fun.
    Pi$$ing contests, in general, are not fun.
    Anyone every hear of a concept called "unity"?
    Or "Brotherly love"?
    Or "Love thy neighbor as you do yourself"?
    Just wondering.

2. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Sh*t happens sometimes :p

3. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....I think there's a lot of history between some of the "old timers" :p ...that us newer guys are not aware of.....hence the friction....then again, some guys just cruise around looking for a scrap.....

....at the end of the day tho, you just have to sit back and realize that we're just talking about lumps of resin here....it's not the end of the world... :)

4. LeMarchand

LeMarchand Sr Member

you should have seen the EZboard days, There were times then there was so much flamin', that besides mods and admins, we also had a firebrigade :lol

5. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I don't know what you mean. Compared to other boards I visit, it's very civil.

I have seen Moderators at other boards curse and dog people. What type of enviroment is that?

This place is pretty tame. If there are really peoblems, maybe we can set up cage matches at the conventions.. :D

FB

6. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

IIRC we tried that... "Flame Pit" comes to mind...

Curious -- is there a trend as to who is being indignant? Is it more so us old farts? Is it the new users? Is it a general mix?

(edited for typos)

7. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Nuclear, are you looking to pick a fight about fighting?? HUH?? WHAT? Don't start nuthin' ya can't finish.... :angry

:love

I kid. :angel

Every message board has it's moments but this is a pretty civil place 90% of the time. Just don't say the r-word and you'll be OK. :)

Njc------------------

8. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

....definitely a mix....however, some old wounds seem not to have healed with some of the "lifers" and when ripped open...that's when things get real nasty.....

9. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

Whats the R word? :D

10. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I think it mainly comes down to too many people believing:
    - two wrongs make a right.
    - do unto others as they have done unto you.
    - gang up on and dogpile anyone who doesn't agree with you.
    - anyone who is not your friend is an enemy to be hated.
    - you are right, appointed by God himself, and untouchable. Everyone else is dirt, stupid, and liars.
    - the other guy MUST have some diabolical secret agenda.
    - your worth is determined by the information you have and sharing that info reduces your worth. It must be guarded at all costs. Sharing is BAD BAD BAD.
    - this board's single purpose is for you to show everyone else how great you are and the ONLY way to greatness is through showing how dumb and worthless those around you are.
    - it is not a community or a hobby. It is a race and if you are not #1 then you are nobody.

Whew. Think that about covers it.

11. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

:lol ....Braks..ya gotta get t-shirts made with all of that on it and sell them in the JY......I'm in for one. :p

...nail on the head.

12. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll take a half dozen or so. I want to send them out as gifts to few members.:D

13. Gytheran

Gytheran Sr Member

recastededed

14. Kris

Kris Sr Member

A word that most even can't spell right. :D

15. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

i wondered the same thing apon first coming here, then i went to far with my questions, and now im not allowed to leave. :cry

no matter how many times i ad ed to the end of a word. :angel

16. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STARTING A THREAD LIKE THIS, YOU DANG NEWBIE......

THAT'S how fights get started. :lol

17. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some of the fighting has to do with "off topic" Posts being put in the prop forum. I suspect your thread will be moved soon.

Having said that; this is an established prop community and some of us have been here for over half a decade.

Many of of us tend to be a little short on patience when we see a seemingly predictable thread taking shape. What's new to you may be a dead horse to some making the mood of a given thread look, pissy.

There are also a number of children at the RPF mixing it up with the adults. The 2 can clash and we have no, "Adult Swim" here...

Then again, someone else already put it best.

Sometimes Sh*t just happens. :rolleyes

Besides, who are you to question us with all of a few posts under your belt? Your post does read rather like a "one love" self righteous stoner who just smoked a bowl. Wait till some wack-job rips you off for three or 400.00 and see if your mood changes.

Kidding...sort of. :unsure

18. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

Amen, brother.

19. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

boy oh boy.

i echo the ezboard days comment.

this board is on prozac, valium and lithium compared to those days :lol

it all boils down to one thing. no real life payback for typing out what you feel, i.e. keyboard cowboys.

feelings get hurt, items get recasteded again, and generally people fall into "camps" of "im right, you are wrong, and i hope you die".

i think the best ever way to express this is that red vs blue short of "real life vs the internet".

tossup between :
    best quote ever - (Sarge) "YOU SUCK, AND I HOPE YOU GET RAPED. TWICE."
    and
    (Church (iirc) "HEY, GIVE ME THAT ALBUM NOW, JERK. ITS NOT ILLEGAL IF I DON'T WANT IT TO BE."

all in all, this place is the same as any club, bar, or general get-together of people in the same hobby. cept in real life if you called someone a recasting bastard you would probably get socked in the jaw. here you just "debates" that rehash old irritations.

chris

20. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I consider myself an old timer, but I don't ever know WTH is going on with most of these "problems" either. :lol

21. Rylo

WOW...Sarge said that? Priceless. :thumbsup
    I may use it in a signature.

22. p0sitr0nic

p0sitr0nic Well-Known Member

My God I hate to see that... Post count does not ever equal worth.

There have been a lot more LARGE post count people banned (for good reasons) than there have low post counts (who are usually troll like).

Tho my post count may be low, and my "reg date" isnt as early as some, I was a part of the EZboard RPF (swvstitanic was a part of that URL, if I remember) and have been a part of this great and unusually fun hobby for many years.

... where was I going with this?

Oh yeah... Post count does not equal worth. I swear, George L himself could sign up here, say "this is how it was done" and youd be all "you have 1 post, you know nothing, no matter who you are."

And i guess thats why people on this board seem to bicker... we all have our own opinions and beliefs, and they dont always match or mesh.

I think thats all.... for now.

23. jedeyenight

jedeyenight Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Boy I just Realize I've spent 5 years of my life with you *.

;) and if I could do it again, I would, where else do you get to drink 'til 3:00 am with a pair of dial calipers in your hand????

Love this place.

24. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan New Member

its old history among old friends reguarding old props...

It gets old... but its all in prop fun.

25. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

:lol :lol I almost just spit Coke all over my screen. :lol :lol

26. Rylo

I love this, man.

27. Rylo

Hey, now...easy, easy, Tex.

Let's work on that sense of humor big-guy. Many a tangle on the RPF have been due to humorless, fragile pups who jump before taking a second look at things.

Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything. :angel

28. p0sitr0nic

p0sitr0nic Well-Known Member

Lol, i think its more a generalization of the entire internet population.

Its not just here i see that attitude. Actually, mostly, around here I find the most ammount of sanity and maturity. (* contests not withstanding)

29. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

I wouldn't worry too much about in fighting it's generally the same people digging at each other. If you don't want to get involved in flaming then don't. The people doing the flaming tend to concentrate on each other and are oblivious to all others.

Nobody will get hurt and nobody will die.

The brave guys hurling insults at each other are sitting in their homes with their cup of hot chocolate and pyjamas on, throwing insults at each other from the all corners of the globe safe in the knowledge they will never have to meet each other.

If they do ever meet they should be made to fight to the death for their sins on the RPF :lol

Don't take it too seriously.

Cheers Chris.

30. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The hell you say. :angry

- Karl (note post count)

:lol

Actually he who has the bigger post count, is he who has too much free time. :$

31. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed.
    Look at my post count, and I don't know sh/t.

32. Rylo

Beat me to it...I was gonna say the same thing.

About me... :p

33. TheNuclearHorror

TheNuclearHorror New Member

Hi,
    About my post count. Please look at my signature. ;)

I have seen fights before, been in some. Just was wondering the source of this one.

34. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Woo, I remember that place. That lasted about a hot minute, right? A lot of the newer folks miss the "Anti-OT" rants as well. That one in particular was rather...chafing.

35. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I actually hope to meet all of you someday ;) :lol

I always enjoy a healthy discussion ;). I think as long as we can all respect each other and enjoy the hobby, that's the main thing. At the end of the day if this forum didn't exist I would still be enjoying my collection. But it is nice to share common interests with this group and I continue to learn a lot from my interactions with many great people here.

:cheers,

Thomas

36. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

That's exactly how I feel. I stay away from the flaming, I have no time to waste on it. I am here to learn about this hobby and I spend enough time reading informational posts that I don't have the time (or patience) for reading any bickering.

37. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

summed up in one sentence :lol

38. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Actually if you look at any discussion concerning the Prequels, people already do that. :lol