What's this rating thing?

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by Chris Martin, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Chris Martin

Chris Martin Well-Known Member

Under my user name there's an apparent rating counter. No one else seems to have one I can see. Am I being incredibly dumb and missing something obvious?

2. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just noticed this below my name today... Please someone tell me I'm not going crazy and this IS new and I've not just been missing it since I've been on the RPF? :confused

[attachmentid=3030]

3. Gman666

Gman666 Well-Known Member

How the hell are you seeing those? They do not appear on my screen.

Greg

4. Gman666

I take that back, they do now. Weird, they did not show up until I replied.

Greg

5. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Greg, check one of your own posts

I just noticed it as well. Look like it's a user only viewable.

And if you click on the center 0 it'll pop up a new window that basically tell you (if yours is a 0) that you've had 0 warnings logged (or something like that)

So - what is the deal?

6. Gman666

Click on them, they are a warning log. New feature? I can't see yours, only mine.

Greg

7. Gman666

Yeah you're right, I see only mine. Anybody got info?

Greg

8. SurferGeek

So now we get to be "branded" with the number of warnings we have and that's supposed to keep the unruly in check? Cute... :p

9. Chris Martin

I just started a similar thread about this in the Technical Support section. What's it all about?

10. Magic Man

Magic Man Well-Known Member

We had a similar option on another board a while back where everyone rates eachother and it did nothing but cause problems.

Brad

11. Chris Martin

Not to mention the possibilities of misuse..

I can almost see the ten pages of arguments in the off topic section already.

12. SurferGeek

I can't see of any way to rank anyone, including yourself. It's likely an Admin tool that they can use to "warn" a member and you can monitor your "warnings" so you can't say that you didn't know you were one warning away from being kicked/banned. Seems kinda cheesy to me... :p

13. SurferGeek

Mods... If you post an answer here, please cross-post to the OT section as there is a bigger thread discussing this there. Or merge the two...

14. exoray

exoray Master Member

I see it as well, it's some sloppy fubar'd code snipet in the script...

It appears the powers to be turned on the scripts "member warning" option... Basically a quicker and more automated way for the staff to ban or revoke your posting privileges... The system allows the mods/admins to give you warnings that are logged by the forum and when you reach a certain level the script autobans... It also gives single click banning options to the mods/admins as well...

In other words big brother is tightening the grip around here...

15. Chris Martin

Seems kinda unnecessary to me.

16. Chris Martin

Er...Why? Am I the only one starting to feel nannied?

17. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:rolleyes Oh Boy. :rolleyes

I know a few that will have a field day with this and rightly so.

18. atacpdx

atacpdx Well-Known Member

Where do we get in line for our microchip?

19. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

You haven't got your chip yet.

Oh crap - here come the prop police...

20. exoray

exoray Master Member

It's not a ranking option at all, it is along the lines as stated above it's an automated admin/mod option to make it easier to revoke your posting privileges... When enabled (like it has been) the mods/admins now have a new control panel option to issue warnings and one click bans, blah blah blah...

21. kimncris

kimncris Well-Known Member

Perhaps you should give the mods & admins a chance to reply before you start feeling too oppressed. :)

Kim

22. exoray

exoray Master Member

Really no need for a reply there is a SINGLE reason for the system being turned on, to ban or revoke posting privileges... It has no other features...

23. Gman666

I just see it as reminder of how many warnings you have. That way if you get banned you can't say that you were never warned. It would be right under your avatar and only you can see. I have no problem with it, just would of been nice to have been told in advance. This doesnÂ’t mean that I didn't miss a post by the staff.

Greg

24. atacpdx

Geez, I was chip free and ya had to make a ruckus. Seriously, My initial reaction is that this is just unnecessary control and a way to further curb speech and thought that is deemed "unwanted" by those who decide such things. I'm anxious to see what the official word is.

25. Gman666

Can't it be used as a warning log for evidence that a member has been warned? Only that member can see the warning and would have no excuse for not knowing if the staff had warned them.

Greg

26. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Why was this instituted NOW? There was no reason for this. There hasn't been an increased number of problems, and the only problems I've seen lately are between other people and ONE particular person. This is a load of garbage, and Big Brother Mod doesn't need to be watching over us.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, I might think that they were trying to make it easier to ban certain people that they feel are "disruptive". If that's the case, there is one person who should receive a warning and to my knowledge has NEVER been warned about his disruptions. He derails threads, insults people, and never gets a warning. But the mods seem to like this guy, so nothing happens. Meanwhile, someone like Moogy gets a suspension because he asked too many questions. This is ridiculous.

I've never been one to stir the pot too much around here, but this is really going too far.

27. Gman666

How is this control if this is only a log of any warnings you recieve? I do not understand this. It is the same as your post counter. Lets you know the number of warnings you have. Am I not correct?

Greg

28. SurferGeek

Would be even nicer if they had put out a notice prior to implementing some new controls... Don't 'cha think? :unsure

29. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Yes, but it implies something greater, and if I'm not mistaken, allows things like one-click bans, which are really unnecessary.

30. exoray

exoray Master Member

Sure you can put any type of spin on it you want, but the RPF staff has long had a private forum to log activity of this type...

31. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Perhaps the mods and admins should tell the members of this board what they plan to do BEFORE they turn on a feature on which appears "big brotherish" in nature...

I smell a "clean slate" in the works. How convenient for some...

-Gary

32. SurferGeek

Oh please, it can't be that bad if you at least attempt to follow the forum guidlines. It's like locks, they only keep the honest people honest... :lol

33. Gary Weaver II

Gary Weaver II Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I said it over at Doc's OT and I'll say as much here...

How convenient...

Why institute a watch system for bans? Especially now?

Will the staff go in an retroactively put in warnings for current members? Doubtful.

Most likely we are looking at another clean slate setup here on the boards. Mighty ironic that its happening NOW considering how certain member(s) have been drawing and ever larger bulleye on their actions with nearly every post.

I can help but also look at the pleads of the mods/admins to have patience regarding someones possible ban until the first of this week. Funny, that rather than address some blatant abuses and poor actions they would rather spend their time prepping and instituting this "system" blindly without so much of a peep of it before hand.

As I said before I have every feeling that this will be a clean sweep and yet another "system" to continue an enforced civility here at the RPF.

The fact that a major trouble maker will be let off the hook right at the last possible moment is only a plus for some people...

-Gary

34. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

I've never been warned, although I suspect one is coming, so it has nothing to do with that. They've already banned AT LEAST one guy from the board because they didn't like him, what's to stop it from happening again? This just makes it easier.

35. Malbona

Malbona New Member

I think Gary hit the nail on the head. :(

36. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

No need for cloaks and daggers, guys. :)

Rob and I were looking at some of the forum controls and that was something I toggled "on."

There is a warning system built in to the Invision software and it's something we've never used and I was taking a look at how it worked.

As I understand it no one can see individual panels, just your own, correct?

No policy change is planned, and the controls accessed via that warn panel are exactly the same as the ones we use now, except they are visible to the invidual member with that one box checked.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to turn on the spin machine in the rumor mill...just looking at some of the features.

:)

Matt

37. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

38. SurferGeek

:lol Paranoia runs rampant when "Big Brother" is watching. :lol

39. WinstonWolf359

WinstonWolf359 Sr Member

40. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

Now that the question has been answered maybe this thread should be merged with the "Conspiracies" thread. :lol

41. moogybaby

moogybaby Well-Known Member

Generally, one gets a license before they're allowed behind the wheel, Matt.

You folks should take a look at the responses to this as an indicator of the faith people hold in the current leadership.

Just saying. That's all.

42. atacpdx

So does that mean that this feature you just toggled on is going to remain on? I think if this is going to remain a "feature" then you should address it and amy policies associated with it and let the population know the plan. That will reduce the "rumor mill". Your statement implies it was almost an accident and it won't be remaining. So which is it?

43. moogybaby

Actually, I like the idea.

It's easier than actually moderating the board. ;)

Boo. :lol

[​IMG]

44. moogybaby

For some odd reason, I can't see my threat level, but I would be interested in knowing if this experiment is over and whether we can expect a downgrade in the color coded alert system?

It would also be interesting to know what other tests we, in the petri dish, should expect.

Thanks.

T.

[​IMG]

45. Chingon

Chingon Well-Known Member

I would say that's quite an overstatement when you look at how many active members there are on this board and how many people actually got all worked up enough to post about this issue.

You seem to have quite a flair for the melodramatic. I hope you are looking into being paid for those talents. Quite frankly they are being wasted on those of us on the board who get to witness it for free.

46. Darth Bill

Darth Bill Well-Known Member

Yeah, probably because Invision is charging you an arm and a leg to not provide pages of material explaining exactly how the features work. :confused

*snnniiiiiffffffff*

Ahhhh, I love the smell of "pants on fire". :lol

(Hey, guys... wanna bet my ((now invisible but still on)) warning meter gets bumped to '1' after this post?? :lol :lol )

Russ

47. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i havent noticed any new labels under my nick. maybe its a glitch in the system or something.

chris

48. moogybaby

El CooKoo (sp?),

If by "flair for the melodramatic", you mean common sense and intelligence, you would be correct.

Now please go back to the living room and let the grown-ups talk.

Newbies... :confused

Hugs and kisses,

Gavidoc

49. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I still can't see it

50. exoray

exoray Master Member

You can no longer see it, the warning level that was visible earlier was,

1. Turned "off" as a whole

or

2. Still "on" but hidden from the normal 'members' view