What's this rating thing?

Chris Martin

Under my user name there's an apparent rating counter. No one else seems to have one I can see. Am I being incredibly dumb and missing something obvious?

I just noticed this below my name today... Please someone tell me I'm not going crazy and this IS new and I've not just been missing it since I've been on the RPF? :confused

[attachmentid=3030]

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Jul 24 2005, 08:13 PM
I just noticed this below my name today... Please someone tell me I'm not going crazy and this IS new and I've not just been missing it since I've been on the RPF?  :confused

[attachmentid=3030]
[snapback]1041291[/snapback]​

How the hell are you seeing those? They do not appear on my screen.

Greg

Greg, check one of your own posts

I just noticed it as well. Look like it's a user only viewable.

And if you click on the center 0 it'll pop up a new window that basically tell you (if yours is a 0) that you've had 0 warnings logged (or something like that)

So - what is the deal?

Originally posted by Talisen@Jul 24 2005, 08:17 PM
Greg, check one of your own posts

I just noticed it as well. Look like it's a user only viewable.

And if you click on the center 0 it'll pop up a new window that basically tell you (if yours is a 0) that you've had 0 warnings logged (or something like that)

So - what is the deal?
[snapback]1041296[/snapback]​
Yeah you're right, I see only mine. Anybody got info?

Greg

So now we get to be "branded" with the number of warnings we have and that's supposed to keep the unruly in check? Cute... :p

We had a similar option on another board a while back where everyone rates eachother and it did nothing but cause problems.

Brad

I can't see of any way to rank anyone, including yourself. It's likely an Admin tool that they can use to "warn" a member and you can monitor your "warnings" so you can't say that you didn't know you were one warning away from being kicked/banned. Seems kinda cheesy to me... :p

Mods... If you post an answer here, please cross-post to the OT section as there is a bigger thread discussing this there. Or merge the two...

Originally posted by Chris Martin@Jul 25 2005, 01:08 AM
Under my user name there's an apparent rating counter. No one else seems to have one I can see. Am I being incredibly dumb and missing something obvious?
[snapback]1041290[/snapback]​

I see it as well, it's some sloppy fubar'd code snipet in the script...

It appears the powers to be turned on the scripts "member warning" option... Basically a quicker and more automated way for the staff to ban or revoke your posting privileges... The system allows the mods/admins to give you warnings that are logged by the forum and when you reach a certain level the script autobans... It also gives single click banning options to the mods/admins as well...

In other words big brother is tightening the grip around here...

:rolleyes Oh Boy. :rolleyes

I know a few that will have a field day with this and rightly so.

Originally posted by apollo@Jul 25 2005, 02:00 AM
:rolleyes Oh Boy.  :rolleyes

I know a few that will have a field day with this and rightly so.
[snapback]1041336[/snapback]​

Where do we get in line for our microchip?

Originally posted by SurferGeek@Jul 25 2005, 01:44 AM
I can't see of any way to rank anyone, including yourself.  It's likely an Admin tool that they can use to "warn" a member and you can monitor your "warnings" so you can't say that you didn't know you were one warning away from being kicked/banned.  Seems kinda cheesy to me...    :p
[snapback]1041320[/snapback]​

It's not a ranking option at all, it is along the lines as stated above it's an automated admin/mod option to make it easier to revoke your posting privileges... When enabled (like it has been) the mods/admins now have a new control panel option to issue warnings and one click bans, blah blah blah...

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back