What would be the easiest way to...

Egon Spengler

Master Member
What would be the easiest way to make a mold of the face of my ultracal bust of myself? I want to mold it and then cast it in silicone.

Thanks!

If I understand well, you already have the UC bust of yourself. The easiest way would be to mold in silicone and cast in silicone with the correct release agent.
Alginate+plaster or plaster bandage could be another option, perhaps the cheapest. Probably there could be some distortion depending on different things. No release needed, one single copy most probably. And you would have to cast right away to prevent the alginate from shrinking. And probably more small defects could appear.

Since it is ultracal, you’d want to use a soft material like silicone, backed with a support shell.

There is a vast number of silicone rubbers and support shell materials you could use, but if you wanted to do it super easily and quickly, you could buy the Body Double silicone trial kit from smooth on, and some fast set gypsum bandages. Build the silicone up in 4-5 layers or however much you can get away with using the kit, and then use the bandages to make a two piece support shell. Depending on how far back the mold goes, you may be able to get away with a one piece shell, but for safeties sake, I would recommend splitting it into two. I would split it down the middle of the face, lay one half up right on the center line and then release the edge well. Apply the other half slightly overlapping that first edge. Let it set, remove the shell and silicone, and you should have a good mold. Alternatively you could use something like rebound 25/40. It would give the mold a longer library life, but it also extends your molding time by a few hours.

I like to use dish soap as a release when I cast silicone into silicone. Ivory soap in particular. Adding a little 99% isopropyl alcohol will stop it foaming.

Last edited:
That´s what both of us are saying actually. If you are going to cast platinum silicone in it make sure you don´t use tin silicone for the mold, it will cause inhibition in the casting. Use platinum silicone, Mr Mold Maker gave some examples. Any plat silicone that can be used for brush up molds (that can be thickened or is already thixotroped) will do. Don´t forget the release agent in any case before casting.
The alginate idead, will not be durable, just one copy. Worth to make a silicone mold.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back