What have I to fear? - Loki Avengers build

Dude this is looking good, how do you plan on doing the gem in the staff?

I am aiming to use some sort of blue clear plastic and adding this LED light for the glow effect. I found these smaller water bottles that are a decent clear blue that I am going to remove the bottoms and glue them together.

Had a snafu with the scepter yesterday, forgot that I didn't have a brush to apply another layer of resin, but I will at least try and get a new pic up by the morning. Not to mention, my second viewing of Avengers made me spot some details my current reference pics don't have, so, I have to gander at that too.

Some more work on the armor:

Armor1.jpg

And more work on the scepter:

septor2.jpg

Progressing rather well. Over the weekend I got the sleeves done. I am currently working on the detailing on the armor pieces, those will be coated with resin soon. The scepter is in the painting process, I got the gold painted, and tonight will probably be painting the silver.

Only other thing that remains for sewing is some detail pieces on the boots, and the metal square pieces on the vest and leg. I am still figuring out what I am doing with that.

Ok, so I have been slightly busy with the build. Got the armor just about ready to paint, and the scepter is rolling right along...WITH POWAH!

septor3.jpg

If I may ask, what are you using for the metal trim around the edges of the overcoat? I've seen people claiming they found some sort of clamp-on metal squares but I can't find such a thing anywhere online or in stores. Thanks!

I've looked all over and couldn't find anything that is a perfect match. I searched for crimps, and found a few potentials. I went with this:

Lots 500 Pcs Bronze Color Cord End Beads / Crimp Beads 6*3mm | eBay

I got like...2500 of the little buggers, had to cut each one of those stupid rings off, than crimp them all around the thing. Only downside, they like to grab some cloth items. Meaning, I may have to watch my distance sometimes. Good news to that, though, is they don't grab stuff for long. It was the closest thing I could find, and I don't have the patience to make them from scratch. About 3-4 hours to snip them all, and another 3-4 to add it to the tunic.

I've looked all over and couldn't find anything that is a perfect match. I searched for crimps, and found a few potentials. I went with this:

Lots 500 Pcs Bronze Color Cord End Beads / Crimp Beads 6*3mm | eBay

I got like...2500 of the little buggers, had to cut each one of those stupid rings off, than crimp them all around the thing. Only downside, they like to grab some cloth items. Meaning, I may have to watch my distance sometimes. Good news to that, though, is they don't grab stuff for long. It was the closest thing I could find, and I don't have the patience to make them from scratch. About 3-4 hours to snip them all, and another 3-4 to add it to the tunic.

Brilliant, that's the best match I've seen so far. I've been shopping for similar things. What do you think of the size of the squares? Is it about right? I'm having a hard time judging dimensions based on the reference shots I have. Are they about 3mm on a side? :wacko

I took some pics yesterday of my close to done setup. Give ya a idea of what they look like size wise.

Forgive the lighting, there is only a few decent places to take pics outside, and it would figure that the spot is in funny lighting.

Mine5.jpg

Mine6.jpg

Mine4.jpg

Mine7.jpg

This may be relevant to your interests. I know you already made yours (and I just ordered something similar to what you used before I found the zipper stops) but just for future reference and such.

This may be relevant to your interests. I know you already made yours (and I just ordered something similar to what you used before I found the zipper stops) but just for future reference and such.

Well, it isn't too late for me to change them, I can easily remove the ones I used. Granted, I wouldn't be too thrilled. However, how do I determine the size on those? I see #3, #5, and #10.

Well, it isn't too late for me to change them, I can easily remove the ones I used. Granted, I wouldn't be too thrilled. However, how do I determine the size on those? I see #3, #5, and #10.

Well IF you wanted to (and I hope I didn't come across as saying you need to change them because I think it looks great as is), zippers are measured across the teeth when the zipper is closed. So a #3 is 3mm across, #5 is 5 mm across, etc. In my mind #5 seems a little small but #10 seems like overkill.... so maybe somewhere around #8? I'm not sure but if I were going this route I would try to get a sample pack of different sizes or something to see which one looks best before I commit to a few thousand of them.

Just food for thought really since I found this on someone else's costume site. Might have saved you all that snipping but I wouldn't go back and redo it now. Good work! :)

Here is my only concern though, these zipper stops won't get snagged on stuff. The ones on my suit tend to like grabbing clothing on occasion. Being I am wearing this at Dragoncon, and recalling how close quarters things tend to get, I'd be concerned. I can handle changing these over, as it would mean I don't have to snip them. I'd rather feel safer for myself as well as respect the safety of other people costumes.

When you say 5mm across, do you mean it is 5mm wide? Such as, while it is on the suit, looking at it from the side, it will be 5mm? Or do you mean, that the entire length is about 5mm, and about 2.5 will be seen from the side?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back