What have I to fear? - Loki Avengers build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Satxer, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Here is my Loki build in progress:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As everyone knows, lot of this stuff is being made from scratch. I don't have to tell you how difficult it is to sew something like this from scratch. Only things that will not be built from scratch, are the leather pants, and the boots.

As of now, I have put roughly 8 hours into the outer tunic and 3 hours into the vest. The outer tunic still has a little bit of work to do, but that is waiting on a new material that will look a little closer to what is on the actual suit. Vest needs to get a couple of things added too. Sleeves, boot covers, armor pieces, and the weapon are up next.

Easiest part of this costume...is growing out my hair!

2. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Judging by the views and lack of replies, I guess I know what I have to fear, that it looks worse than I thought.

3. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it looks great! Keep it up! It seems like an extremely difficult build. If I had the time, I wanted to make a nice one like this for my brother to wear to the midnight show, but instead I just bought some stuff from goodwill to modify. It's turning out ok, but I definitely envy the accuracy of your suit.

4. peterparker

peterparker Active Member

I think your suit is looking great! Maybe the lack of comments is that Loki is just not that popular of a costume?

5. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's also entirely possible that people just missed the thread. Posts tend to sink really fast here as other threads are made/responded to, so it's easy for them to disappear to the 2nd and 3rd pages right away before people can see them!

6. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

I didn't think people missed it with over a 100 views, haha. Who knows. The material that I ordered came in quicker than I thought, so, looks like I will be trying to close up the tunic this weekend.

7. Crusaderman2004

Crusaderman2004 Active Member

I think it's looking great too! No worries man, it's going to look awesome once you get it all finished. I didn't see, but are you even going to try the helmet? I'm in the minority thinking that the helmets for Thor and Loki aren't necessary, but I was curious.

Once you get that hair slicked back, you've got his look down.

8. rensole

rensole Active Member

suit looks good but be carefull the devil is in the details ;)

and dont wory my thread has about 200 replies and 3000 views so chill people will lurk more then they post

9. troopermatthew

troopermatthew Well-Known Member

Looks great! I found Loki costume threads arnt all that popular here but like the other members said there are alot of lurkers and less posters :)

10. bignatedegg56

bignatedegg56 Active Member

or like me, they came in hoping to see the helmet... the rest looks great but we wanna see the horns!
    how are you planning to do the helmet, thats if you are planning on doing it?

I would love a Loki helm

11. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

I am pretty much going with the non-armored version, so, no helmet will be involved. I think this one looks cooler than the all armored up. But, the good news is, if I ever DO the armored version, I already have the base, and just have to make the rest of the armor.

12. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Did some more work over the weekend. Got the outer tunic near done, as well as work on the boot covers/spats.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the odd material, I just went with something that looked good. I unfortunately couldn't find anything to match the pattern of the real suit, and I don't really have the patience like SithCamaro to hand make it, haha!

[​IMG]

I may try and get the armor pieces started during the week, and than near the weekend work on the sleeves and stuff. It is doubtful I can finish this for the movie weekend.

13. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

So, I took a break from sewing to start working on the hard pieces...

[​IMG]

Never really made a prop out of lumber, so, it has been an interesting attempt. However, this isn't an updated pic to the work I did yesterday. I actually finished sanding it down and gave it a resin coat.

14. astromechr4p17

astromechr4p17 New Member

lurkers.... KNEEL!!!!

15. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Great job on the fabric work. Project Runway status.

16. SampleName

SampleName Well-Known Member

I like how the staff looks so far.

17. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

Dude this is looking good, how do you plan on doing the gem in the staff?

18. DavidFrommi18

DavidFrommi18 Active Member

19. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

Dude that is awesome, Even with just the Loki helmet that would set this costume off completely ill be watching this build!!
    Very inspiring

20. jackieisrockin

jackieisrockin Well-Known Member

Scepter looks pretty good! Good idea using wood :)

21. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

I am aiming to use some sort of blue clear plastic and adding this LED light for the glow effect. I found these smaller water bottles that are a decent clear blue that I am going to remove the bottoms and glue them together.

Had a snafu with the scepter yesterday, forgot that I didn't have a brush to apply another layer of resin, but I will at least try and get a new pic up by the morning. Not to mention, my second viewing of Avengers made me spot some details my current reference pics don't have, so, I have to gander at that too.

22. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Some more work on the armor:

[​IMG]

And more work on the scepter:

[​IMG]

23. Chris27989

Chris27989 Well-Known Member

any news on this awesome build ?

24. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Progressing rather well. Over the weekend I got the sleeves done. I am currently working on the detailing on the armor pieces, those will be coated with resin soon. The scepter is in the painting process, I got the gold painted, and tonight will probably be painting the silver.

Only other thing that remains for sewing is some detail pieces on the boots, and the metal square pieces on the vest and leg. I am still figuring out what I am doing with that.

25. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Ok, so I have been slightly busy with the build. Got the armor just about ready to paint, and the scepter is rolling right along...WITH POWAH!

[​IMG]

26. Ibnzbass4

Ibnzbass4 Active Member

Very nice build all around!

27. Crusaderman2004

Crusaderman2004 Active Member

Dude, that looks awesome! Can't believe you made that out of wood.

28. Lauralot

Lauralot Member

That scepter is amazing! I can't wait to see the whole thing come together.

29. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Got to getting the armor about done.

[​IMG]

30. ARC

ARC Member

If I may ask, what are you using for the metal trim around the edges of the overcoat? I've seen people claiming they found some sort of clamp-on metal squares but I can't find such a thing anywhere online or in stores. Thanks!

31. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

I've looked all over and couldn't find anything that is a perfect match. I searched for crimps, and found a few potentials. I went with this:

Lots 500 Pcs Bronze Color Cord End Beads / Crimp Beads 6*3mm | eBay

I got like...2500 of the little buggers, had to cut each one of those stupid rings off, than crimp them all around the thing. Only downside, they like to grab some cloth items. Meaning, I may have to watch my distance sometimes. Good news to that, though, is they don't grab stuff for long. It was the closest thing I could find, and I don't have the patience to make them from scratch. About 3-4 hours to snip them all, and another 3-4 to add it to the tunic.

32. AZAXD

AZAXD New Member

Wow man I can't wait to see more of this :)

33. ARC

ARC Member

Brilliant, that's the best match I've seen so far. I've been shopping for similar things. What do you think of the size of the squares? Is it about right? I'm having a hard time judging dimensions based on the reference shots I have. Are they about 3mm on a side? :wacko

34. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

I took some pics yesterday of my close to done setup. Give ya a idea of what they look like size wise.

Forgive the lighting, there is only a few decent places to take pics outside, and it would figure that the spot is in funny lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

35. ARC

ARC Member

This may be relevant to your interests. I know you already made yours (and I just ordered something similar to what you used before I found the zipper stops) but just for future reference and such.

36. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Well, it isn't too late for me to change them, I can easily remove the ones I used. Granted, I wouldn't be too thrilled. However, how do I determine the size on those? I see #3, #5, and #10.

37. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Um...what?

38. Gearsofhalo

Gearsofhalo Active Member

WOW this came out awesome! great work!

39. ARC

ARC Member

Well IF you wanted to (and I hope I didn't come across as saying you need to change them because I think it looks great as is), zippers are measured across the teeth when the zipper is closed. So a #3 is 3mm across, #5 is 5 mm across, etc. In my mind #5 seems a little small but #10 seems like overkill.... so maybe somewhere around #8? I'm not sure but if I were going this route I would try to get a sample pack of different sizes or something to see which one looks best before I commit to a few thousand of them.

Just food for thought really since I found this on someone else's costume site. Might have saved you all that snipping but I wouldn't go back and redo it now. Good work! :)

40. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Here is my only concern though, these zipper stops won't get snagged on stuff. The ones on my suit tend to like grabbing clothing on occasion. Being I am wearing this at Dragoncon, and recalling how close quarters things tend to get, I'd be concerned. I can handle changing these over, as it would mean I don't have to snip them. I'd rather feel safer for myself as well as respect the safety of other people costumes.

When you say 5mm across, do you mean it is 5mm wide? Such as, while it is on the suit, looking at it from the side, it will be 5mm? Or do you mean, that the entire length is about 5mm, and about 2.5 will be seen from the side?

41. ARC

ARC Member

Hey! If I get mine done in time maybe I'll see you! I'm hoping I can afford to make it up to Atlanta. (And I think I'm going to invest in some sandpaper to get rid of the burrs you're talking about. >_<)

I've never worked with these in person but I can help a little bit. All the measurements I'm working out will be for what's visible from one side. A #5 zipper will be 5mm across both sets of teeth, so figure one of these stops has to cover half that width plus a little extra. So say you want your trim pieces to be about 5x5mm (and I have no idea what the ideal size is btw), you would probably want about size 8 stops. (Half of 8mm is 4mm and add a little) I hope this makes sense. I just tested this theory on the only zipper I could find that has this kind of metal stops- my pants zipper, haha. It appears to be a #5 and the stop is 3mm. The more I think about it the more I think the #8 is probably the way to go.

And if you find a place to get these on the SUPER cheap and in a nice finish, let me know. I just spent $25 on crimps but if it won't set me back a bunch I might buy both and see which one I like.

Hope that helped... I'm crap at explaining things sometimes. :p

42. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Being I attached them to my suit, they don't sand too well now. And if I am gonna have to remove them to sand them, I may as well go with the zipper stops.

I've been making up little "mock" zipper stops, just to see what they would look like. The #5 is too small. The #10 is a hair long, but may still work. I can't find any place other than the site you listed for the 8's. Even looking at the "I have an army pic" from the trailer, they don't look too short. Which is why I think 10's may be ok. There are a bunch of 10s on Ebay, that you can get at a reasonable price, but is still gonna cost to buy a bunch.

I think I am gonna get the 10's and see where it goes. Considering the thickness I see on these things, I don't believe it is gonna be the full 5 in width. It may be more like 4.

43. ARC

ARC Member

Let me know how it works for you! :)

44. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Will do. I may not look forward to doing this again, but at least it will be easier this time around.

45. Adjectival

Adjectival New Member

I'm planning a Loki cosplay for myself. I love what you've been working on, you have done an amazing job. It's really inspiring!
    Would you tell me a little bit more about how you created the armor pieces? They look super legit.
    Thanks a bunch!

46. Lando

Lando Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great job, looks great

47. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

The chest and the um...piece that goes on the strap for the shoulders, are from a garbage can, and the other pieces started from a bucket. From there, most of the pieces got a layer of bondo to start, all but the chest piece. After vigorous sanding, I took a Garage Sale sign, and cut out patterns to match the details on the armor, glued them into place, and followed by some bondo, and dremelling to finish some details, and coated with resin. The most difficult one to figure out would have to be the shoulder armor. As all of my screen shots from the trailers don't give a perfect shot of it, so I had to wing it. All I can tell is it has some sort of face.

As far as painting, I started with a coat of Antique Brass, which looks close to bronze, followed by a misting of metallic Brass. Which of course is followed by some misting of the flat black.

48. S0ren

S0ren New Member

Overall fantastic job *__*

A few points from a seamstress' point of view- press your seams! Notably the back ones. That should make it lie a bit more smoothly. Don't iron pleather directly as you could melt it, but use a t-shirt or something similar as a press cloth. Also use plenty of steam if you can since that tends to be rather effective.

Additionally, if at all possible you may want to take in your coat seams just slightly. It looks like you've got a lovely figure *ahem* but the coat makes you a bit boxy. It'd probably be difficult at this point due to the lining (and the fact that vinyl is a pain to fit in general) but it's something to keep in mind.

Great build so far :D If you need to rouse a Hawkeye army, I totally volunteer.

49. ARC

ARC Member

This is a good point! Another option (and the one I usually go with because I dislike ironing and like the look) is topstitching. Just lay your seam allowance to one side and sew right along next to your seam. Then you know everything will lay flat forever. :)

50. Adjectival

Adjectival New Member

Wow! Lots of steps. You are dedicated!
    I hope to try my hand at some plastic cutting/sanding/painting for the armor I'm going to make. I've worked with plastic a little bit from when I made my Portal Gun, but the process you described seems much more detailed and artistic.
    Thanks for the tips!