what happened to disney?

EyeofSauron

Master Member
so after watching aladdin once again, i thought to myself: whats with disney nowadays. a few years ago, they made amazing movies, id say up to about hercules or toy story, and then they completely switched paths.

now they make crap like pirates of the carribean twenty two or something, or tv series like hanna montanah
has disney really become such a corporate sellout, that it goes Quantity before quality?
walt disney would rotate in his grave if he saw what happened to his work

so, why not use those good old storys, that filled cinemas and tv chairs alike those years ago, and keep doing that?

I think Disney have to go with his audience... Maybe people want to see stuff like hannah montana, or one of the "lets-make-some-computer-animated-stuff-with-cheap-3D-effect-and-some-bad-jokes-without-putting-any-heart-in-the-movie" movies. POTc as cool, after all I like all 3. the 4th is bad.

I dont know what Disney itself would do, but personally I think people still love the good ole Disney stuff...

Tangled is the best Princess movie they've made since before Little Mermaid. That's the Disney downfall to me. Ariel did it.
Laffo.

Tangled was good, imo. I think right now they're trying to find their stride again.

While technically Pixar == Disney, Disney is still trying to find it's footing with CGI cartoons. Chicken Little was one of their first attempts and failed, Tangled I feel was their 'breaking out' movie while they're trying to transition from traditional 2d to 3d. So, my opinion is they're on the learning curve for 3d features, saving 'traditional 2d' as a press-release marketing-ploy to generate interest.

Princess and the Frog wasn't bad for their last 2d feature.

But right now, my opinion is they're trying to find their 'voice' again with the new direction and are stumbling a bit trying to get their.

My daughter, and all her friends, love Hannah Montana. If there weren't a market for it, they wouldn't make it. Disney is still making great movies too:

Winnie the Pooh
Toy Story 3
Tron (well, maybe not Tron)
Tangled (already mentioned)
Secretariet (awesome movie)
UP
A Christmas Carol
Wall E
etc....

They lost sight of everything Walt Disney built the company on: quality and a good story. It's like all the studios, as soon as they got taken over by corporate conglomerates and the old studio system of the 40s and 50s ended the quality went down.

Tangled was a great Princess movie, as good if not better than many of their classics. It was a really poor marketing campaign that hurt it the most. I had no interest in seeing it until I got word of mouth when it came out on video.

Sweet

A few friends of mine were arguing about that a few months ago.

All I said is once Walt thaws out he is going to go on one major a$$ kicking rampage.

so after watching aladdin once again, i thought to myself: whats with disney nowadays. a few years ago, they made amazing movies, id say up to about hercules or toy story, and then they completely switched paths.

now they make crap like pirates of the carribean twenty two or something, or tv series like hanna montanah
has disney really become such a corporate sellout, that it goes Quantity before quality?
walt disney would rotate in his grave if he saw what happened to his work

so, why not use those good old storys, that filled cinemas and tv chairs alike those years ago, and keep doing that?

Another vote for Tangled. It was a great swan song for that chapter of Disney. It's a shame it was overlooked by so many people. It's a Pixar world now, for better or worse. Disney is just a logo and a checkbook.

Disney sold out like the rest of Hollwood did.Now they just make S*&$@!?#. They just go with the safe/reliable formula for a cartoon/movie idea and bet on making a killing because little kids want to see stuff like singing princesses,robots,monsters,aliens and its easy to entertain a 3-7 year old.Just cheap humor/tricks done in the past re-invented.I.M.O, Disney hasn't done anything good at least with animation since the 90's. I admit, I did like Dreamer.That was a pretty decent film.

Disney used to have a monopoly on the talent. When Katzenberg left for DreamWorks he took good talent with him. Now Pixar is developing work in house as well. The increased competition certainly has affected them. Pixar currently holds the crown.

Well,don't give them too much credit. While I enjoyed the first Toy Story, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo and the Incredibles,the rest to me have been duds.Especially "UP".It was nothing spectacular and I.M.O.It wasn't worthy of an Oscar nomination,let alone beating out Coraline for it.I think the Oscar comittee plays "favorites" and Disney has the influence since they have been around for so long. Up just flat out sucked and aside from the goofy looking bird and Doug the talking dog along with the iother talking dogs,it wasn't al that entertaining.It was like watching the odd couple thoughout half the film between the old man and the annoying ADHD kid Russel bickering.The dogs were just there for comic relief,nothing more and as io mentioned before.Its easy to entertain a theater full of 3-7 yr. olds with some old gags,potty humor and other regurgitated comedy.

Actually I really enjoyed "Up".

Different strokes for different folks. Not everything by Disney has been bad but I agree a lot of the classics were better, IMO

I read DisneyWar about a year ago. Highly recommend it. It was after I read it I realized Disney is more of an acquisition company (ESPN, ABC, Pixar, etc) than creative nowadays. It was really interesting to see titles like "Gnomeo & Juliette" and some others that have slipped my mind mentioned since this book was released in 2005.

I'm really enjoying their Disneynature line of movies (earth, Oceans, Crimson Wing, African Cats, and next year's Chimpanzee, as well as Pollen which was released in France)

Gotta defend 'UP.' Great movie. The death of his wife... the miscarriage... come on, man. There was a lot more going on in that movie than talking dogs.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back