What glue for a Hasbro X-wing conversion (power fx version)?

Caffeine65

I'm going to be adding bits to a Hasbro X-wing (the FX-based kind, not the new hero series) and I'm wondering what specific glue you guys would recommend.

I'll be using mostly styrene and possibly some "found" plastic greebles here and there.

I've searched the forum a bit and have seen JB weld mentioned quite often, but not a specific variety. Also, I'm wondering if different glues are needed for the soft vs rigid parts of the toy.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: What glue for a Hasbro conversion?

Whatever you use, the polypropylene will need a surface prep to improve the adhesion to workable levels. Look for materials used as prep for plastic auto bumpers...
R/ Robert

He's talking about the F/X toy though, so not the same polypropylene misery that's used for the Hero Series ships. I would think just regular CA would work for those ships, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Worst case scenario I say prime with Krylon Fusion and you should be able to just use CA on that.

CA glues must hate me because they never seem to perform for me the way they do everyone else. :confused Plus I already tried some out on some scrap pieces. I've also tried some two-part epoxy. Both pulled right apart. Ugh.

Maybe I'll go to Lowes later and see what other options I can find. There's GOT to be a solution considering I've seen several Hasbro x-wing builds that seem to have went well.

So after some experimenting today, I think I'm gonna go with E6000. I've got styrene glued to both hard and soft scrap pieces of Hasbro plastic, and even though full cure time is still 12 hours away, I cannot pull the pieces apart. (I've used E6000 before on ABS stormtrooper helmets and it worked great for that too.)

I also tried out Loctite Plastic Weld (what I'm assuming is equivalent to JB Plasticweld) but it didn't survive the experiment.

CA glues must hate me because they never seem to perform for me the way they do everyone else. :confused Plus I already tried some out on some scrap pieces. I've also tried some two-part epoxy. Both pulled right apart. Ugh.

Maybe I'll go to Lowes later and see what other options I can find. There's GOT to be a solution considering I've seen several Hasbro x-wing builds that seem to have went well.
Interesting … I've used CA and JB Weld on other Hasbro toys and found them to work fine. I've even used regular Testors liquid model cement to attach styrene parts to Hasbro toys (if I am attaching a flat surface to another flat surface and want to make sure there are no gaps) with no problems. The plastic they use in the toys might vary from toy to toy, though, so that might explain your lack of success. Glad you found something that works. My wife uses that E6000 stuff when she makes jewelry.

What specific CA did you try? I only use the Gorilla Glue Super Glue Gel (or the non-gel if I need something that runs a bit) since I tried it. The gel is great — very strong, not nearly as vulnerable to shearing forces as most CA formulas, and sets in 20-30 seconds. And not terribly expensive.

I think the Loctite epoxy you mentioned is similar to JB Quick Weld. Good and strong, but not as strong as the regular stuff. You know, like 10 gorillas versus 20 gorillas. I will always use the full-strength stuff unless there's a specific reason I need something else.

Qapla'

SSB

The Gorilla gel is actually what I use for most things around the house, and it usually works well for household repairs. But when it comes to something hobby or toy related, nope, it's like a curse, lol. Oh well, file it under "results may vary."

The Loctite plastic weld epoxy actually didn't do too bad. I really had to muscle it to tear it away, but tear away it did so I ruled it out. Not that I expect the finished display to go through such trauma, I just need that feeling of permanence to really be happy with it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back