What do you use to make those hairs on the mask?

ahhh ..the quills. People have done them a numerous amount of ways. Ive seen toothpicks colored black ..even synthetic grass blades colored the same way. A favorite method is using Sculpy "bend and bake" clay ..you simply roll the clay into the shape ..then pop them into the oven for a few minutes ..they are very flexible

On the masks, I see those hairs on the mask. What do you use to make them? Thanks

Some cheap-o methods

Some folks make their own teeny moulds and fill them with latex -

others make them with strands of hot glue dipped in black latex,

and a super cheap method - cutting black foamie sheets into hair thin strips, and cut edges a second time till its fairly round ( a little octagon at the base)- then rolling it till its rouneded.

Cathat

and a super cheap method - cutting black foamie sheets into hair thin strips, and cut edges a second time till its fairly round ( a little octagon at the base)- then rolling it till its rouneded.

Cathat

thats my method XD ... it really dont look bad if your trying to do things on the cheap
you should be able to see it on this pic
london_expo_may_2011_17_by_drisgo_styles_d3hqyao.jpg

hope this helps but casted ones do look better

Last edited by a moderator:
cheapest, easiest and by far some of the best -> thepredatorslair on ebay..he is a member on here as well (forgotten his nic at the mo)

Lives in Paris,France. find him and he will look after you

I am currently in talks with a UK company to supply silicone quills, hope to get a price back next week, bigger the buy the cheaper they will be i guess.

Assuming the price is good, i can see if there is any interest here, again i am assuming the more i buy the cheaper it will be.

I will start a thread if it gets that far.

thats my method XD ... it really dont look bad if your trying to do things on the cheap
you should be able to see it on this pic

hope this helps but casted ones do look better
Hi, in the process of building my own pred undermask and the cheapest quills I found were purchased, made from solid silicone. It cost me £2.98 for 150 quils, BARGAIN I thought. A store known as Wilkinsons in england sell long handled BBQ basting brushes and yes the bristles are conveniently black in color too. Just snip them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, in the process of building my own pred undermask and the cheapest quills I found were purchased, made from solid silicone. It cost me £2.98 for 150 quils, BARGAIN I thought. A store known as Wilkinsons in england sell long handled BBQ basting brushes and yes the bristles are conveniently black in color too. Just snip them off.
Further to that if Wilkinsons don't have any try a store called home bargains.

You know what? I have a silicone BBQ baster at home. It has these short little black quills, like mini dreadlocks. I got mine from Walmart. I'll snap a pic. tonight when I get off work.

The only problem I see with basting brush bristles is the fact that they are just slim silicone flat ended rods, there is no tapering to a point like quills should.
They would still be ok if it doesn't bother you but it would me.
Also, the link that "Hunter-Hunted" provided is NOT for latex quills, it is for sculpy bend and bake quills for latex "masks" these quills are ok, they look great but sculpy turns brittle when it comes into contact with super glue, so If you have a bio or if you are wearing a costume with quills, they will be continually falling off and will need replacing every now and then.
All my quills have been made from latex, I have been using latex quills for a couple of years now, way before Termok lol.
The way I make them is fairly easy.
I found the it is best to mould them in small batches (5/6 at a time) take some toothpicks and give them a thin coat of milliput or something similar (epoxy putty) when cured, give them a sand so they taper nicly to a point, (toothpicks are not usually tapered) then, give them a coat of varnish (to prevent the exposed wood from going soggy during the moulding process making them inposible to remove from the finished mould) then, get a plastic cup ( the disposable kind) and place a small amount of plastasine or similare in the bottom, then push 5/6 shapped toothpicks into the plastasine until they are standing upright by themselves making sure they are ALL level with each other. then, fill the cup up with plaster leaving just the very points of the toothpicks exposed (this is to provide an airway for the latex when you pour it into the mould, if you dont leave a breath hole and your mould is closed then you will end up with an air bubble inside the mould and will not fill it up with latex) later, when the plaster is dry, tear the cup off the plaster, remove the plastacine and pull out the toothpicks, run your mould under water and drain quickly as you want it to have a wet surface when you fill it to prevent air bubbles, then fill it with coloured latex and as soon as the latex starts dripping from the holes in the bottom of the mould, you know that the latex has filled it completely and there is no trapped air inside, sqish some clay over the hole (not too much though as you dont want the clay going inside the hole, just cover it) then wait for it to dry......hey presto....latex quills.
Hope this helps......and i'll keep an eye out for tapered silicone quills
For those who are not bothered about the flat ends, would one of those spikey kids silicone toys be any cheaper? you know, from the 99p store, they are only..erm...99p.

Also, the link that "Hunter-Hunted" provided is NOT for latex quills, it is for sculpy bend and bake quills for latex "masks" these quills are ok, they look great but sculpy turns brittle when it comes into contact with super glue, so If you have a bio or if you are wearing a costume with quills, they will be continually falling off and will need replacing every now and then.

Sorry didn't know

LOL...no worries man..no need to appologise...just pointing out that they were not latex quills...but quills for latex masks thats all.

Hay guys I these tips are grate. I have a art studio/work place at my grandperants that I make all my costumes. I had a kids spicky silocone ball which I cut the spikes off but, they were thrown away which annoyed me to hell, but whatcha gunna do, **** happens lol. The basting brush ideas cool tho, and I kicked myself when I read that because its such a cool and cheep way. FYI Home bargins one of the best shops in the world lol.

Ive also got the French dudes ebay quills on a watch so once I have some money to wase I might get a bag.

Looks like Im going baster brush hunting lol

Yeah the baster brush quills are flat ended but once I'd glued them on I took a sharp pair of scissors and cut them at an angle from the top down to give the impression that they pointed.

I am getting several samples of silicone quills sent out to me today ( did not really expect that )

assuming they are what i deem suitable, i will then get a quote from them, they can and will do the amount i want for me which i said was 150, price pending again. But if they are good and well priced, i can see if they will give a better deal for more and see who would be interested here in them.

I will start a new thread, if and when.

Ps, sorry for the minor hijack.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back