What do you use to clean your props/helmets?

Darth Kahnt

Sr Member
Just thought I'd start a thread where people can let others know what they use to clean their props, helmets and other collectibles.

I am starting this thread because I am looking for suggestions myself. I dont want to use something that will damage any of my belongings but this thread will also help others who are new to the hobby.

Let the posts begin. :)

I'll use the softest dustcloth I can find and spray it with just a faint bit of water, then I wave the cloth around a bit to let the water evaporate a bit and then go lightly over the prop....no cleaners or anything like that...even use organic detergent to clean the cloths and rinse a lot so there's no chemical residue.

:cheers,

Thomas

Originally posted by SithLord@Feb 3 2006, 11:55 PM
I'll use the softest dustcloth I can find and spray it with just a faint bit of water, then I wave the cloth around a bit to let the water evaporate a bit and then go lightly over the prop....no cleaners or anything like that...even use organic detergent to clean the cloths and rinse a lot so there's no chemical residue.

:cheers,

Thomas
[snapback]1175564[/snapback]​

Good suggestion Thomas. I actually bought a cheesecloth last night for my props.

Any other suggestions?

I have found that a Swiffer is great for getting dust out of cracks and between fragile parts, and now I've learned that a baby wash cloth is probably the softest cloth you can use and never seems to streak either.

Originally posted by Lord Abaddon@Feb 4 2006, 09:21 AM
I have found that a Swiffer is great for getting dust out of cracks and between fragile parts, and now I've learned that a baby wash cloth is probably the softest cloth you can use and never seems to streak either.
[snapback]1175785[/snapback]​

That's great. I have a new baby and an 18 month old so there are lots of washcloths going around my place. :p

i use a baby cloth diaper(unused) :lol to polish my guitar.i was told it was one of the softess cloth to use.don't know how well it would work on props ?

Great suggestions.

I am wondering what people use to get some grime or dirt of the props. For example, my FX saber gets dirty when I troop, simply from other people holding it and looking at it. What are some good ways to get rid of this grime and dirt without damaging the prop?

Originally posted by DarthKahnt@Feb 5 2006, 02:22 AM
Great suggestions.

I am wondering what people use to get some grime or dirt of the props. For example, my FX saber gets dirty when I troop, simply from other people holding it and looking at it. What are some good ways to get rid of this grime and dirt without damaging the prop?
[snapback]1176405[/snapback]​

...for anything metallic with a chrome/polished finish...get a tube of Autosol from a Auto Parts store. German metal polish...the best. Comes in a toothpaste type tube....I've used it to polish stainless steel exhaust tips on my cars and it gets rid of grime, oxidation and even mild pitting....

autosolrange.jpg

It really depends what prop it its and what youwant to get off the mask. Simple dust, a Swifter like LA said, Dust inthe cracks, a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to get the hard to reach crevices. Sabers, well, anything that wont promote corrosion. Soft cotton cloth gets the smudges off.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back