What are your most desired obscure props?

God's Holy Trousers!

It's a great film; wonderfully odd. The story behind the shirt is a bit of a spoiler - happy to explain if desired, but if you'd prefer to go in fresh, suffice it to say that Sean Connery and Michael Caine's characters are proud Freemasons, and that comes into play in an unexpected way during their attempt to con a small remote country.
OK, by no small coinc, The Man Who Would be King is on Internet Archive for free and I have just completed viewing. Upon seeing the ending I now know what rare prop I DO NOT WANT. Nice crown though..... ;)

Hate to admit that I have never seen The Man Who Would be King but what is the story behind his masonic embroidered shirt?

God's Holy Trousers!

It's a great film; wonderfully odd. The story behind the shirt is a bit of a spoiler - happy to explain if desired, but if you'd prefer to go in fresh, suffice it to say that Sean Connery and Michael Caine's characters are proud Freemasons, and that comes into play in an unexpected way during their attempt to con a small remote country.

Yeah, I'd say to anyone wondering, just watch the film. One of the greatest adventure stories ever told.

Do you have any HQ pics of the internal tubes/mechs you'd be willing to share? (Whether in a build topic or by message)
Once I start getting the files together, absolutely I will share everything. Originally I wasn't even planning on replicating it, but then happened to find a very similar globe on a quick auction deadline

The Herkimer Battle Jitney from Mystery Men. I’d settle for a model since my HOA would probably frown on me parking the real thing at my house…
Herkimer_Battle_Jitney.jpg

This? The production company had at SDCC during the promotion of the film Mystery Men. It must be somewhere these days. Maybe it is for sale like the Damnation Alley Landmaster was.

Well, that makes 2 of us. It’s a pretty niche movie with a small but passionate audience.

Most people say they have no idea what I’m talking about, when I bring up the movie. Or, at most they say, “isn’t that the one with laser swords that was a rip-off of Star Crash?”
I think my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate saw it and told me about it. Sounded kinda weird.

Jayne's large rifle in Serenity.

One might not think such a prop could be obscure given the general fandom devoted to this film and especially to the character's Firefly counterpart "Vera," but aside from brief mentions of Adam Baldwin naming the rifle "Lux" as a posthumous tribute to a fan, it seems to have received practically zero interest... which is so weird to me, because it's my very favorite sci-fi gun.

My understanding is that it was constructed at ISS by modifying a standard assault rifle from 1998's Soldier (itself built around an AKU-94 bullpup) and adding a gas-powered barrel, lights, etc. Unfortunately, I've confirmed from multiple sources at the company that it was long-ago disassembled, and efforts to track down either the removed parts or behind-the-scenes photo documentation have come up short.

As far as visual reference, below is all I've been able to find:

View attachment 1673642

I always though this was a bad ass BFG that deserved as much attention as Vera. I've wanted to build River's pistol for years from Serenity.

An asset to our community, I'm sure.

Some people like to nit-pick unnecessarily. Typical troll.

With all due respect....

The unsolicited copyediting of your post was passive-aggressive and unnecessary--no disagreement there! But before that, he'd simply asked a straightforward question that didn't appear to be in bad faith, to which you gave a reply that (a) didn't answer his question and (b) strongly implied that he was either an idiot or a freeloader.

I don't think you can accuse him of "trolling" when he seemingly didn't come into the thread with malicious intent. All I saw was a person who felt attacked (justifiably, IMO) and lashed out in response (albeit perhaps a bit strongly).

With all due respect....
A fair assessment, I think.

I'm also curious about these police pistols from Spielberg's A.I. - what is known of them?

The only police scene I recall off-hand is in Rouge City when Joe gets apprehended before David commandeers the aircraft, but while it appears that the officers have gear of some kind on their belts, I'm not noticing anything that's definitively a gun... Maybe my resolution isn't high enough?

The 1911 was cool but I was referring to the Maidenhead Bar revolver. I know it was made from a webley
The first time I ever saw that was in the TV show "Earth 2". I think it may be a Japanese kit of a "Zeiram" move prop. Like how the Next Generation shows used kits of "The Dirty Pair" pistols in the different shows.

David.

With all due respect....

The unsolicited copyediting of your post was passive-aggressive and unnecessary--no disagreement there! But before that, he'd simply asked a straightforward question that didn't appear to be in bad faith, to which you gave a reply that (a) didn't answer his question and (b) strongly implied that he was either an idiot or a freeloader.

I don't think you can accuse him of "trolling" when he seemingly didn't come into the thread with malicious intent. All I saw was a person who felt attacked (justifiably, IMO) and lashed out in response (albeit perhaps a bit strongly).
If taken at face value, you make a very valid point. But I was responding to something a little deeper. I had a certain impression from what looks like an innocuous reply. I should have been proven wrong.

As for the prop in question, that too is largely an impression. It may be just a shadow or fold of cloth, but it is something interesting to pursue. There is no mention of in in the usual sources and I need to track down the art book to see if any mention is made there. In BTTF 2, the police only had batons, but we know what those look like. AI is more difficult. Most of the best references showed up many years later. Look how long the 2001:ASO references took to surface.

In the case of Centauri's weapon, it appears to have been repurposed long ago and now might be easier to track down. Apparently, it was used in V The Final Battle almost immediately after The Last Starfighter.

See:

The first time I ever saw that was in the TV show "Earth 2". I think it may be a Japanese kit of a "Zeiram" move prop. Like how the Next Generation shows used kits of "The Dirty Pair" pistols in the different shows.

David.

According to the weapons wiki it's a heavily modified Enfield No.2 Snubnose - .38 S&W.

Attachments

• Maidenhead_and_snubnose.jpg
    Maidenhead_and_snubnose.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 78
For many years, I have sought out references for props that are very unclear or nearly unseen. My list includes:

1.) Centauri's laser from The Last Starfighter
2.) Police pistols from Steven Spielberg's A. I.
3.) The altimeter watch from Gravity

What is on your list?
All I can think of is The collapsible mini crossbow from Relic Hunter

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back