What??? Another TFA Captain America?

climbnkd

So I guess I'll jump in here and post what I've got so far for my TFA Captain America. I am preparing for Comic-Con in Salt Lake City the first weekend in September so I only have a few weeks left. I'm getting pretty close though.

FullSizeRender.jpg
Here is most of what I've got so far. I know the jacket and the pants are not accurate but I can live with that. In addition to what you see here, I also have the knife sheath for my leg (no knife yet) and a Captain America shirt for under the jacket.

The suspenders and ammo belt are replicas of the correct equipment as well as the spatts.

I have the helmet, goggles, gun holster, and gun on order and they should be here this weekend. I also started a shield build today. I decided to just use some 5mm plywood that I had lying around. If it turns out good I may look to upgrade in the future but I think it will be good enough for one day of comic-con.

This is my second Cap costume and my third overall build. I've done a stealth Cap and a Deathstroke, both for conventions.

More pics to come as the build comes together.

What I have done in the past is remove the entire trigger from the gun. I've never had a problem getting through the weapon's check that way. The gun I ordered is a pretty cheap airsoft model so if I ruin its functionality by removing the trigger, I'm ok with that.

Here are the items I have on order as of now:
41X4VFrc97L.jpg

61xb3DxTqCL._SL1100_.jpg71Txx2spmnL._SL1500_.jpg613S8HaDrNL._SL1200_.jpg

I'll get some pictures of the shield I am building tonight and post them.

I was also concerned about them flipping out about the wooden shield. I dunno how thick, heavy or pointy that will end up being, but I'd hate to see you put a lot of work into it and be told to go lock it in your car.

That helmet looks nicer than my $12 one. What did it cost?

You could sew the knee patches onto your pants, that'd improve their accuracy to the layman, I think.

-MJ

From what I read on the SLCC website, the shield shouldn't be a problem. I took a metal shield in a while back and nobody said anything.

My helmet was $52 on Amazon. I was more than I wanted to pay but I decided to bite the bullet and get a real metal one.

Here are some pictures of the shield. I am using some tires to try and give it a slight bend. I'll leave it strapped down for a couple of days and hope for the best.

IMG_2246.JPGIMG_2247.JPG

I got some more costume stuff in the last couple of days.

IMG_2726.JPGIMG_2727.JPG

The googles aren't a perfect match but I can live with that.

The bigger issue I have right now is my shield. I left it to bend for three days and when I took it off, it returned to a perfectly straight piece of plywood. So I am thinking that I have two options. One, just use the wood shield and leave it straight, no curve. Or, I have some EVA foam that I could use. I could easily curve it but I'm not sure how I could strengthen it enough to survive a con. By itself it would be far too flimsy. Any ideas?

IMG_2728.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The helmet also came in but it is getting painted right now. I'll debut the whole thing tomorrow, minus the shield.

I'd swear there is a way to spray or soak wood with a vinegar solution to soften it, then bend it into your desired shape, which it will then hold when dry. I was pretty sure I saw it on the RPF somewhere, but I'm not finding it through the search function. Might be worth a shot?

Nazgul here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=176229 seemed to be able to bend it just by sticking it in boiling water. You might try asking him.

-MJ

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back