What’s Everyone Working on During C19 Quarantine?

I almost forgot about this. The recent arrival of my Black Series Fett Helmet inspired me to actually work on a prop project. I ran this ahead of 5-6 other prop projects, but whatever, lol.

I've had this Rubie's Fett helmet for maybe 5 years (?) and I started on it last week. The only thing achieved so far is a much more accurate rangefinder stalk. I bought a piece of aluminum at the hardware store, cut it to length, notched the top for the rangefinder and fabricated/installed the pivot pin. I got a new welding shield to make a better t-visor, as well.

My original plan was to make a Super trooper style helmet, but I'm thinking maybe something a.little more challenging. I've always admired the McQuarrie style Fett costume that The 48th Ronin made...what, 20+ years ago? and I'd like to achieve something as cool as his Fett helmet. Not copy his exactly, but in the same spirit as his handiwork.

IMG_20200516_204824.jpg

My original plan was to make a Super trooper style helmet, but I'm thinking maybe something a.little more challenging. I've always admired the McQuarrie style Fett costume that The 48th Ronin made...what, 20+ years ago? and I'd like to achieve something as cool as his Fett helmet. Not copy his exactly, but in the same spirit as his handiwork.
22 years ago! :oops:

Gotta say, I'm really looking forward to this - I've always admired your work. I'll also say crib as much as you want. I myself was hugely inspired by Joe Johnston's concepts, both for color "feel"/ideas and potential graphics.

johnston fett.png

If I remember correctly I used Rustoleum rattle can "designer" colors (or whatever Home Depot carried back then). I wanted to go with khaki, taupe, and "earthy" colors for the accents to the white, plus I kept the yellow ochre color of the right ear on the actual Fett helmet - what I used was a bit more deep, and I used it for both ears as well as a stripe that ran around the back half of the dome.

Anyway, good luck and have fun! (y)

Beautiful car. My son inherited my dads 66 stingray 427 we have been slowly taking care of. My dad drove it almost daily and he kept it running but just barely. It would go like hell, but wouldnt stop or turn if your life depended on it.
It doesnt need a full restoration but it does need some TLC. just recently replaced the holley fuel pump that feeds a predator double pumper.
Next is brake caliper rebuilds and some interior replacement. Rag joint spline clamps were loose so I tightened them and now it turns ok.
I love project cars, and my son does too even at 11 years old.
Hey gang.

Long time lurker, ponderer, youtube watcher, "wonder if I could do this"er... First time maker.

Something I've wanted since I was a child, a DL-44. I've chosen the ANH blaster, and am building on a Umarex Legends C96. Obviously, given my base, I'm not going for accuracy lol. Scale is all I'm after!

I bought a 3D printed kit off of Etsy and just finished the initial sanding!

I was never much of a model builder, painter, or really anything creative or artistic, so, this should be fun! Thanks COVID19!
Nice way to dive in headfirst! A worthy build to cut your teeth on. I hope to buold a blaster soon. Not sure which one but a DL-44 will be in my collection someday.
Cant wait to see your progress!

Ok so what have I been working on lately?
I found this old MPC 3 pack my friend gave me about 10 years ago, and he had it for maybe 10 years before that.
Its more like a 2.25 pack now. The eyeball section is missing from the tie interceptor.
I started on the b wing today and noticed there are no clear parts at all in this kit so I am missing canopies for both the b wing and x wing.
Gonna have to scratch build em.
20200523_105113.jpg20200523_104934.jpg

Scott D Now that's a good looking classic car(y) glad it was repaired

Still paper-testing costume parts myself:
9D05D00A-B4C7-4284-96C3-EA39DE8248CF.jpeg

61A11C07-4C77-4255-8C7F-1DB0042A0519.jpeg

I started from the finger tips working my way down, but even closing the fingers gradually spiraling down wasn't necessarily easier; the tabs tear easily and gluing them on the inside at an angle is tricky, especially in close quarters.Luckily 2mm Foam is stronger

Last edited:
I finally have something prop related to share! The past few days have been great for spray painting, so the Greedo is moving along once again.
5486A13D-7EC7-437E-8F1E-D533D771A466.jpeg

Finally finished my Rogue One pack! I had bought the parts before the movie even came out and haven't gotten around to assembling and weathering it until now.

Really happy with the final result, and I always get a kick out of the fishing pole that they used as an antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_142307_233.jpg
    IMG_20200523_142307_233.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20200523_153444.jpg
    IMG_20200523_153444.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
Dude! I was working on the same Star-Lord figure! I’m a little less patient than you obviously, I just sliced mine and printed the slice in one piece. Whenever I get the larger format resin printer I've been after, I plan to take the time to print the whole thing at a larger size. Can’t wait to see yours finished up!View attachment 1301067
Oh wow your paint work is amazing, I’ve only just started using an airbrush/paints for figures as I’m usually a helmet man, starlord is my first attempt
Your painting puts mine at the bottom
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I’m not 100% happy with the head and skin tones I’m still working on a resin head, testing different tones

Oh wow your paint work is amazing, I’ve only just started using an airbrush/paints for figures as I’m usually a helmet man, starlord is my first attempt
Your painting puts mine at the bottom
I’m not 100% happy with the head and skin tones I’m still working on a resin head, testing different tones

Nonsense buddy, yours looks fantastic! Skin tones at such a small scale is something I struggle with as well. Usually on lifesize pieces it’s a lot of mottling with an airbrush and spattering to build translucency. In the smaller scales I have trouble transferring those techniques over.

Figured I’d share my Memorial Day weekend project. Lots of Boba Fett and Din Djarin inspiration of course. It was nice to take a quick break from my commissions and just work on something for me.

Attachments

• 3B2BE334-DAF0-4978-8103-DEC41F701B29.jpeg
    3B2BE334-DAF0-4978-8103-DEC41F701B29.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 106
  • 7F506191-983B-486F-8D4A-CD490DB23A9D.jpeg
    7F506191-983B-486F-8D4A-CD490DB23A9D.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 105
  • 607468E4-0504-4ECC-8E14-2CA5A29B3515.jpeg
    607468E4-0504-4ECC-8E14-2CA5A29B3515.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 109
  • 9B3AD5A6-3CFD-41CA-8EEE-30271C6F5742.jpeg
    9B3AD5A6-3CFD-41CA-8EEE-30271C6F5742.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 104
  • 78A53CEE-E05B-4381-9604-A154A68A11F7.jpeg
    78A53CEE-E05B-4381-9604-A154A68A11F7.jpeg
    8.2 MB · Views: 109
  • C845F149-B3B3-4AFF-945D-F2976FB0368F.jpeg
    C845F149-B3B3-4AFF-945D-F2976FB0368F.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 97
  • 5BB714DC-EC7E-4B67-B1FA-5B45830944C0.jpeg
    5BB714DC-EC7E-4B67-B1FA-5B45830944C0.jpeg
    8.9 MB · Views: 120
  • 76D0E945-C5A5-441B-9D83-6CAE0EACACE1.jpeg
    76D0E945-C5A5-441B-9D83-6CAE0EACACE1.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 101
Corona has not affected our lives that much as far as everyday life goes. We both work normally, I am a male nurse and my husband is a business manager. My dad has become terminally ill during the crisis and thats been very taxing as we cant meet him at all but have cleared his apartment and done a lot of official things.

We have watched all SW films and thats been a great relief. I found a royal guard 3D print build right here, bought the model and started practising finishing a print on a small print of Iron Giant I got from my friend. I am getting the hang of it so by the time I get the prints I should be able to make a decently finished helmet. And this has gotten me thinking of getting a printer of my own...

Figured I’d share my Memorial Day weekend project. Lots of Boba Fett and Din Djarin inspiration of course. It was nice to take a quick break from my commissions and just work on something for me.
That's really nice. I have a few different burgerstrings helmets, and I was just lamenting the other day that I'll probably never get around to figuring out color schemes for them, let alone actually painting them. :confused:

That's really nice. I have a few different burgerstrings helmets, and I was just lamenting the other day that I'll probably never get around to figuring out color schemes for them, let alone actually painting them. :confused:

Thanks! I definitely feel you there. This is the second time I’ve painted this one, the first paint job just wasn’t quite right. At the end of the day, it’s only paint, you can always remove it with a little lacquer thinner and try again. You should give them a go!

I really wanted one of his “Hermes” helmets as well but he dropped off the face of the planet! Hope he is well.. and if he ever does come back, I hope he keeps going with these awesome designs.

Last edited:
Nonsense buddy, yours looks fantastic! Skin tones at such a small scale is something I struggle with as well. Usually on lifesize pieces it’s a lot of mottling with an airbrush and spattering to build translucency. In the smaller scales I have trouble transferring those techniques over.

Your paintwork : airbrushing technique is beautiful
Nice work indeed

The only thing I have done prop related is to teach prop replica building techniques to my son.

My son likes Fallen Order so I bought him a 3D printed kit to learn some of the basic techniques.

C594D1FD-6814-4C23-8979-7B1E39A51BBD.jpeg

I think he did a great job.

I had made a post about this here:

Wow!!! That paint job is fantastic! I really have to up my paint chipping game after looking at that.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back