Weta wants YOUR input on their next District 9 Weapon Replica!

Please choose one (or more) of the following:

• I would be willing to purchase a replica of the Microwave Gun.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I would be willing to purchase a replica of the Submachine Gun.

Votes: 100 46.1%
  • I would not be likely to purchase either replica.

Votes: 63 29.0%

• Total voters

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
As you guys know, we have a great relationship with the team at Weta. Yesterday, I had a chance to talk with Tim and he shared some thoughts with me that I want to pass on to you and get your input on.

To date, Weta has been in the unique position of providing us, the fans, with 3 of the weapons they created for District 9. Best of all, Weta didn't have to reverse engineer or reinvent these weapons, and the collectors who bought these pieces got direct, unmolested castings from the original props, grow lines and all. As a collector, you really couldn't ask for much more than that! BTW, going off script for a moment; it is funny to know how appalled Weta is that we don't want cleaned up, idealized versions of these guns as they are a bit embarrassed about the grow lines in the final product. I, for one, really appreciate that they listened to the fans and left the weapons intact and didn't sanitize them.:thumbsup

While District 9 is just over 2 years old, as with many modern movies, the interest fades quickly and Weta thought they were done with this line, but they have continued to receive requests for additional weapons from the movie. With that in mind, they have looked at their inventory and chosen two possible candidates as their next potential offering; the microwave gun and the submachine gun as pictured below.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So, here is the question and the concern. Weta is still uncertain if this is truly a viable project and while they aren't asking for a commitment, they want to gauge how many people would truly be willing to purchase one of these replica weapons to see if the project is worth pursuing. If there are only a handful of people who want one, they would lose their shirt having them mass produced. So the question is NOT which gun do you like, but which one would you be willing to buy at a price point fairly close (but a little lower) to what the other District 9 replicas have sold.

Please don't tell us about other weapons you would like to see as these are the only two in question right now and please keep in mind that your vote in this poll may help determine whether this project goes forward or not, so please choose your answer carefully.

Thanks for participating and a HUGE thanks to Weta for caring enough to reach out and be directly interested in what we, the fans, want to see from them as a replica prop producer!

Attachments

• weta-district-9-submachine-gun.jpg
    weta-district-9-submachine-gun.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 26,549
I honestly wouldn't purchase either, they weren't as big in the movie, and are not iconic in the way that the previous three weapons are (especially the Arc generator)

What i am surprised about however is why Weta have not, and seem to have no plans to release the fluid canister, which IMHO would be a big seller.

What i would like to strongly comment upon though, is Weta's consideration to the fan base. They are a fantastic company who really do want the input and opinions of the fans and collectors out there, this is a prime example.

Well done Weta - Keep up the fantastic work!

It isn't financially viable to do a run of replicas if there won't be at least a minimum number of sales to make the run profitable. In this economy, you can't just produce hundreds of items and have them sit on the shelf. This is why companies like Sideshow do preorder sales.

I honestly wouldn't purchase either, they weren't as big in the movie, and are not iconic in the way that the previous three weapons are (especially the Arc generator)

What i would like to strongly comment upon though, is Weta's consideration to the fan base. They are a fantastic company who really do want the input and opinions of the fans and collectors out there, this is a prime example.

Well done Weta - Keep up the fantastic work!

I second that! Weta does an amazing job and I am completely satisfied with my Arc Generator.

I have the Assault Rifle and I'd love to have the Microwave Gun next to it. Not so fond of the Submachine Gun, but I'm a sucker and I'd probably get that one if it was released instead/also.

After the initial weapons I don't feel I have adequate display space for further releases such as the above.
What I do very much want to see Weta announce is the fluid cannister. It may not be as visually exciting as the weaponry, but it's a crucial part of the story/movie and an essential prop to replicate.

I second, third, fourth and fifth the Fluid Canister. That key prop is WAY overdue, and makes a perfect companion piece to the Arc Generator. They are Wikus' most handled pieces.

You could even have the sanitary baggy it is kept in when analysed at the lab.

Please make the Fluid Canister Weta!

Vote microwave!

Is the submachine-gun even seen in the movie? Must be pretty brief.

its on a shelf in the backround when they are forcing wikus to fire the guns.

i think the microwave gun would be pretty difficult to display given its width.

i did suggest an unpainted sub machine gun for us to finish ourselves, a bit like the release of the unpainted bison gun.

i know i'll just end up repainting what i get anyway.

Another vote for the fluid canister but I'll take a Microwave as well. I prefer a Gas Projector first since I cant find one for

I've been blown away with the quality of the D9 weapons I have so far. Weta rocks.

Preferance: Microwave Gun

However, I'd buy either one, or both if they were released.

And I know you said "don't tell us about other weapons you would like to see" but could you ask when the 1:1 scale Battle Armor is going to be released? I really want one of these...
d9still05.jpg

...yes, seriously :)

Last edited:
Between those two I think the MICROWAVE GUN has a little more pizazz and would go nicely with the other three. The submachine gun just kinda looks like more of the same to me.

I will buy ANY 1:1 guns that Weta produces.

From a marketing standpoint, I think the 1:1 guns seem to have done pretty well. The Arc sold out quickly and is now going for nearly double on eBay. The Gas Projector is also sold out.

From my limited understanding these guns have been a hit?!:thumbsup

Like the other posters, I'd love to see other D9 offerings from Weta as well!

thanks Art and WETA!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

brad

A point of clarification? Do you guys want people like me who, while they appreciate the sheer beauty of everything Weta produces, simply are not collecting the pieces to vote?

Ie., are they interpreting a "would not buy either" as "I would give you my money but neither of those pieces are interesting?" because that would be a false impression, I simply don't fall in their target demographic. I'm not enough of a fan, if that makes sense.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back