Weta wants YOUR input on their next District 9 Weapon Replica!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Art Andrews, Oct 27, 2011.

?

Please choose one (or more) of the following:

1. I would be willing to purchase a replica of the Microwave Gun.

78 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. I would be willing to purchase a replica of the Submachine Gun.

101 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. I would not be likely to purchase either replica.

64 vote(s)
    29.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

As you guys know, we have a great relationship with the team at Weta. Yesterday, I had a chance to talk with Tim and he shared some thoughts with me that I want to pass on to you and get your input on.

To date, Weta has been in the unique position of providing us, the fans, with 3 of the weapons they created for District 9. Best of all, Weta didn't have to reverse engineer or reinvent these weapons, and the collectors who bought these pieces got direct, unmolested castings from the original props, grow lines and all. As a collector, you really couldn't ask for much more than that! BTW, going off script for a moment; it is funny to know how appalled Weta is that we don't want cleaned up, idealized versions of these guns as they are a bit embarrassed about the grow lines in the final product. I, for one, really appreciate that they listened to the fans and left the weapons intact and didn't sanitize them.:thumbsup

While District 9 is just over 2 years old, as with many modern movies, the interest fades quickly and Weta thought they were done with this line, but they have continued to receive requests for additional weapons from the movie. With that in mind, they have looked at their inventory and chosen two possible candidates as their next potential offering; the microwave gun and the submachine gun as pictured below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, here is the question and the concern. Weta is still uncertain if this is truly a viable project and while they aren't asking for a commitment, they want to gauge how many people would truly be willing to purchase one of these replica weapons to see if the project is worth pursuing. If there are only a handful of people who want one, they would lose their shirt having them mass produced. So the question is NOT which gun do you like, but which one would you be willing to buy at a price point fairly close (but a little lower) to what the other District 9 replicas have sold.

Please don't tell us about other weapons you would like to see as these are the only two in question right now and please keep in mind that your vote in this poll may help determine whether this project goes forward or not, so please choose your answer carefully.

Thanks for participating and a HUGE thanks to Weta for caring enough to reach out and be directly interested in what we, the fans, want to see from them as a replica prop producer!

Attached Files:

F-N-S likes this.
  2. 1up89

1up89 Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. Udermeister

Udermeister Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like the look of the microwave gun a bit more than the SMG.

4. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I honestly wouldn't purchase either, they weren't as big in the movie, and are not iconic in the way that the previous three weapons are (especially the Arc generator)

What i am surprised about however is why Weta have not, and seem to have no plans to release the fluid canister, which IMHO would be a big seller.

What i would like to strongly comment upon though, is Weta's consideration to the fan base. They are a fantastic company who really do want the input and opinions of the fans and collectors out there, this is a prime example.

Well done Weta - Keep up the fantastic work!

5. G17RDY

P.S - Art, this should be a sticky!

Pete SSS likes this.
  6. Cocomando

Cocomando New Member

seems a silly question really , they should make them all , cos it would make a full set .

i'd buy any of them really

7. Art Andrews

It isn't financially viable to do a run of replicas if there won't be at least a minimum number of sales to make the run profitable. In this economy, you can't just produce hundreds of items and have them sit on the shelf. This is why companies like Sideshow do preorder sales.

8. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

I like the Microwave gun. What did the other props cost?

9. The_Blues

The_Blues Member

I second that! Weta does an amazing job and I am completely satisfied with my Arc Generator.

10. thorssoli

thorssoli Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have the Assault Rifle and I'd love to have the Microwave Gun next to it. Not so fond of the Submachine Gun, but I'm a sucker and I'd probably get that one if it was released instead/also.

11. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Vote microwave!

Is the submachine-gun even seen in the movie? Must be pretty brief.

F-N-S likes this.
  12. Trilogy

Trilogy Sr Member

After the initial weapons I don't feel I have adequate display space for further releases such as the above.
    What I do very much want to see Weta announce is the fluid cannister. It may not be as visually exciting as the weaponry, but it's a crucial part of the story/movie and an essential prop to replicate.

13. davidJurassic

davidJurassic Active Member

I second, third, fourth and fifth the Fluid Canister. That key prop is WAY overdue, and makes a perfect companion piece to the Arc Generator. They are Wikus' most handled pieces.

You could even have the sanitary baggy it is kept in when analysed at the lab.

Please make the Fluid Canister Weta!

14. crossfield

crossfield New Member

those guns on that film all look good

15. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

its on a shelf in the backround when they are forcing wikus to fire the guns.

i think the microwave gun would be pretty difficult to display given its width.

i did suggest an unpainted sub machine gun for us to finish ourselves, a bit like the release of the unpainted bison gun.

i know i'll just end up repainting what i get anyway.

16. discombobulate

discombobulate Member

are the blue LEDs in the SMG a photoshop effect, or part of the kit?

17. FuseNova

FuseNova Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another vote for the fluid canister but I'll take a Microwave as well. I prefer a Gas Projector first since I cant find one for

I've been blown away with the quality of the D9 weapons I have so far. Weta rocks.

18. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Preferance: Microwave Gun

However, I'd buy either one, or both if they were released.

And I know you said "don't tell us about other weapons you would like to see" but could you ask when the 1:1 scale Battle Armor is going to be released? I really want one of these...
    [​IMG]

...yes, seriously :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    F-N-S likes this.
  19. darthwhitey

darthwhitey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Between those two I think the MICROWAVE GUN has a little more pizazz and would go nicely with the other three. The submachine gun just kinda looks like more of the same to me.

I will buy ANY 1:1 guns that Weta produces.

From a marketing standpoint, I think the 1:1 guns seem to have done pretty well. The Arc sold out quickly and is now going for nearly double on eBay. The Gas Projector is also sold out.

From my limited understanding these guns have been a hit?!:thumbsup

Like the other posters, I'd love to see other D9 offerings from Weta as well!

thanks Art and WETA!! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

brad

20. rollerboi

rollerboi Sr Member

A point of clarification? Do you guys want people like me who, while they appreciate the sheer beauty of everything Weta produces, simply are not collecting the pieces to vote?

Ie., are they interpreting a "would not buy either" as "I would give you my money but neither of those pieces are interesting?" because that would be a false impression, I simply don't fall in their target demographic. I'm not enough of a fan, if that makes sense.

F-N-S likes this.
  21. darthwhitey

darthwhitey Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's a great point. I would say that if you're not planning on buying one or the other to not vote. It seems that they're looking to guage interest from buyers and not just which one is coolest. :)

I hope that didn't come out the wrong way.:$ No disrespect intended!

**But...if you think you're gonna buy, please vote for the Microwave gun! :lol

brad

F-N-S likes this.
  22. Art Andrews

:lol I suppose it could be taken either way. The third choice was primarily for those who can't help but click SOMETHING, but wouldn't want to buy either gun if it were made available.

23. Art Andrews

And for all those saying they want the fluid canister (even though we didn't ask), I am with you (even though no one is asking me either).

24. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I'll repeat what some have said. The arc generator was iconic. You can easily identify it with the movie and it stands well on its own. My space is limited, so adding more of these clunky, gunky, and rather large weapons does not appeal to me.

F-N-S likes this.
  25. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

What I'm interested in finding out is whether Weta's planning to rerelease the Arc Generator.

saffronboots likes this.
  26. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Active Member

I personally would not purchase if they came to market .

27. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Art, a couple of nitpicks. Firstly, the Assault Rifle is actually somewhat cleaned up - most of the CNC marks are gone. Secondly, I hate to say this but I really think inviting the 'neither' responses is a mistake. Every single negative poll response and posted comment feels like a knife in my heart, to put it a bit melodramatically. :D I can't help suspecting that each negative will be taken into consideration at Weta when what should be focused on are the positive responses.

It'd be better that people who want neither just didn't respond, IMHO. Some of us would almost kill for more D9 merch and it's been really disappointing that no further licensing was announced - now we get this - wonderful, but people are invited to say 'no thanks, go away'...so some of them feel they must do so.

Couldn't we just have "Definitely would buy Option A/Definitely would buy Option B" and leave it at that? To my mind the negative responses just confuse the picture and surely must be seen as some degree of raining on the parade at Weta's end. Disclaimer; I am a tiny-brained blonde, so maybe I'm just being histrionic. :)

I don't want that piece of junk canister prop, and I think they'd lose money on it.

(I don't want it, but I do think they'd sell like hot cakes. But, you see my point?) :D

Could not agree more here.

Anyway, we've learned we've got at least a few dozen people here alone who'd commit to one or other or both guns, and that in just a couple of days. Add in the other fora, the rest of the Internet and the Con crowds, I think there's still a market...

28. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

I voted both!!

I know Greg B really wanted to get it out there, and I suggested the same exact thing! He said he was going to look into it but I assume there could be license complications.

Seconded. The microwave and SMG are the available, practical options because their development costs will be lowest - they're derived from other weapons for which moulds still exist. Personally, I'd happily buy replicas of the teleporter and the organic retriever, even though they're huge and would cost the earth to re-create and mould.

29. zorg

i would agree with this, the quality control of the later guns has definitely gone downhill.

i would also like to add on my assault rifles there are several areas of warping along the length of the guns, the resin is 15+mm thick (heat) in some areas and this must be the cause or the molds were not properly prepared.

lastly we no longer get paint chipping, we just get "blobs" of silver paint. no effort at all put into it. very disappointing.

i really do appreciate weta's efforts but they need to keep their eye on the ball.

sideshow no longer get any of my money simply because they can't be trusted to deliver what is promised. i would hate to see weta fall into the same pit.

-z

30. G17RDY

I don't think it is a mistake at all, i can see that Weta are wanting to weigh up all options before making a decision to continue the D9 line.
    Like it or not, when you are running a business you have to look at the good and the bad, they are simply gathering results to make a financial decision here.

If you remember way back when, Weta asked the RPF fanbase a similar question on a previous poll, which included an abundance of items from D9, following which they responded by giving us the D9 book, Exosuit scaled replica, Christopher Johnson statue and scaled replicas of the Assault rifle & Arc generator.
    In the same poll, the Fluid canister came out very highly desired, and yet we are still to see one released.
    What i don't get is why those two guns and two guns alone??

The D9 range is actually quite extensive giving that the film whilst popular, really in reality may only cover a small section of the prop collecting community.

I bought the Arc gun and was blown away by the sheer size and standard of this replica giving the amount of money it cost to buy. However i could not justify the price of buying any more, as much as i want everything from the D9 line, alas, and it broke my heart, i had to sell my arc generator, as it was a choice of keeping it or putting food on the table at the time.

Whilst i am in a better financial situation, I cannot justify spending hundreds of pounds on another big item, unless it was as iconic as the Arc Generator, these two guns don't float my boat, and i would pass on them. I think it's important Weta know this, hence the importance to me for the 'neither' option.

I think if anything else is released, and i hate to say it, this may be the last of the range, the best way to go out would be on a high note, are the two guns offered a high note?? I'm dubious.....

31. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Oh yes, no argument. But how does a "no, I don't want EITHER of those" response contribute to that?

They know how many paying customers it takes before a project breaks even and they know how far past break-even they have to go before the whole exercise really becomes worthwhile. What they're looking for is surely some kind of rough guide to absolute numbers, not relative ones, I'd have thought?

The canister is a great McGuffin, story-wise, but it isn't very visually spectacular. I suspect some of the folks at Weta have difficulty believing how desirable people consider it. :unsure

Because they already have the moulds. The microwave gun is based on the Arc Gen chassis, and the SMG is a cut-down Assault Rifle. New moulding masters can be struck from those any time. And I'm guessing they're relatively easily accessed, rather than in deep storage - or they can use whatever intermediate stuff they have lying around from the commercial replica projects.

All the other guns - the big hefty things in the shack or testing scenes for example - were one-offs and made up from fabricated parts more than castings, so we wouldn't likely get those at any price.

For the canister, it too was probably a one-off fabricated prop which is likely on Neill Blomkamp's mantelpiece now, and would have to be re-recreated from Weta's refs. Hence higher development costs.

Agreed.

But given the preconditions Art stipulated - don't ask for anything else, these are what's on the table, which is more appealing? - I can't agree at all. It just seems like raining on the *whole* parade, rather than improving the chances of the line continuing in any form.

On the other hand, have to admit, I'd sure love a scaled mother ship and dropship...*, now I'm doing it too. :D

Guns = a far higher note than the canister, for mine. :p

32. mikmik

mikmik New Member

Personally im an owner of the WEAT "Arc Generator" and would certainly like to see the submachine gun version to compliment to Arc.

I would how ever like to make the point to WETA that I am disappointed in the shipping costs of each of their 1:1 scale District 9 weapons. I live in Australia which is just right next door to New Zealand and shipping for any full scale rifles has always been $222 US dollars to ship it to Australia. Almost 50% the cost of the replica rifle it's self just in shipping fee's, extremely excessive so perhaps WETA need to consider storing/shipping to other countries (not just the USA) since it cost them $24.95 to have a rifle posted too. Postage costs such as $222 would turn off allot of collectors.

33. zorg

they have a european distribution hub also, all my guns delivered into the u.k. were pretty reasonable postage wise.

seems a bit strange they can't ship to a country next door for less than they currently charge.

34. TymerDC

TymerDC Sr Member

Weta rereleasing the Arc Generator may as well spit in the eyes of everyone who purchased one and especially would anger alot of customers who payed more for one on the secondary market. I for one wouldn't trust a company anymore if they announced a certain number production run then reissued it just to make more money and basically stab everyone in the back who bought the original run. Bad idea and I feel it would just have a negative effect on the company. After all these are "collectibles"....and they stop being collectibles when they just keep making unlimited runs of them.

35. Art Andrews

Let's just nip this one in the bud. I don't think you are going to see Weta doing anything like that. That is why they are looking into other guns.

36. Hirohawa

Hirohawa Sr Member

I own the Assault Rifle and would definitely purchase the Submachine gun if they produced it.

37. TymerDC

TymerDC Sr Member

I voted for the Sub Gun .......being able to pay for it if released is another thing. Wish Weta would start some kinda payment system for some of us who just can't shell out 100s of $$ all at once.

38. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

1. Goto Walmart.
    2. Buy a "Pre-Paid Walmart Money Card" for $5
    3. Every week, put $5, 10, 20 or whatever you can on the card. (Me, I put $25 on it every week and 5 every visit to Walmart)

You'd be suprised how fast this builds up. As an example, this paid for my ENTIRE Dragon Con trip to Atlanta, Hotel 6 days 5 nights, food, ticket, autograph packages and even funded my Tshirt adiction :lol

39. TymerDC

TymerDC Sr Member

1) I don't do business at Walmart
    2) Isn't a debit card from a checking account the same thing...only you don't have to do business with Walmart?
    3) Every week most of us have bills to pay and don't have $5, $10, $20 or whatever to put away.....and when we do then another bill comes along and takes it away. So what might work for you doesn't work for me or alot of other guys.
    4) Payment plans work better for me...enough said.
    5) Walmart sucks and their prepaid cards are a rip-off...here's one reason why:
    http://beyondtheconsumer.blogspot.com/2007/06/walmarts-prepaid-visa-fees-revealed.html

Apologies to Art.......wasn't trying to derail this thread.

I am interested in Weta props. Love their work and quality. I just wish they'd make it easier for some of us that don't have a consistent cash flow to afford more from them. I had to cancel the Assault Gun and the D9 Exosuit because of not enough cash at the time. Payment plans just work better for me......for others it does or doesn't.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  40. Doktor

Doktor New Member

I'm all for the Microwave gun - what an amazingly unusual and unique weapon!

Sign me up!

41. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

You could have stoped there, no need to get into conspiracys and such :lol

Why don't you call Weta and ask them if you could open a account with them. They say "no", nothing lost.

42. TymerDC

TymerDC Sr Member

Already asked and /or suggested that in person at the Weta booth at the SDCC ....they were less than enthusiastic about the idea.

43. JaxTeller

JaxTeller New Member

The microwave is sweet. It has a futuristic weapon look contrary to the sub machine gun that looks more like a rifle.

One vote for the microwave ! :love

I only own the assault rifle and want definitively buy another replica !:love

44. I'm willing to buy both, they both look exellent.

My preference is for the microwave gun. I'm more of a raygun guy than a slug-thrower guy, and I love the idea of a weapon with a sort of radar dish as a barrel. But I'd also say yes and open my wallet for a submachine gun.

Actually strike that, I just lost my job. If I'm employed again by the time that these are being made, then yes I'd open my wallet for both of them.

45. Rick H

Rick H Well-Known Member

I would buy the microwave rifle.

46. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Sorry man, balls in your court then to save. You want some ideas or would you just yell at me more?
    :lol

47. TymerDC

TymerDC Sr Member

No...I don't need yours or anyone elses ideas.....thanks anyway. If I can't afford to buy another Weta prop its not the end of the world. This is just a hobby and doesn't dominate my life.
    Now how bout you voting on which Prop you'd like?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  48. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

Go with the Microwave gun.

49. Jonny B

Jonny B Active Member

Oh mines on page 1, post #18, did it days ago.

50. loruhcee

loruhcee New Member

Wow, this gun is a beauty, I already have the Arc Generator; and this would be a nice edition from WETA :).