Westworld (HBO)

When I saw the previews of season 3 I said the same thing about it not being Westworld if they weren't in the west anymore and I still stand by that after the first episode. Even after watching it again I'm still lost and am not really looking forward to the rest of the season but will still watch at least for now in the hope it gets better. To me the only thing that looks like it might be any good is the stuff in WWII.

Spoilers

I don't know that calling it woke is fair. The show in the first season was definitely NOT a woke affair. The women in season 1 were definitely NOT in charge, or great etc. It was essentially a intellectual awakening that ended in tragedy... BY a ROBOT, that happened to look like a woman.

The second season there could be an argument made - BUT my counter argument is that all the women (except Maeve) in that story while very powerful also were pretty evil... not typically a woke characteristic. Maeve could be considered a bit woke but her path ultimately led her to failure, as she found here daughter, but "died" rescuing her... as much as a robot in westworld can die-which we know is temporary.

So far in the third season - I don't see it as woke - so far. Yes Delores has done some pretty amazing things in her time released from the park, but again she's a robot... its within reason that she would have certain aptitudes with computers etc. and her time in the park has given her experience with violence etc. Now her being a tactical expert, hand to hand fighting expert, and expert marksman I can see being a bit of an issue - BUT we know other hosts have those skills, and she's got the programming for it from several of the brains she took with her... maybe she pulled a matrix neo maneuver and downloaded those skills to herself - wouldn't you in her position if you could... I would.. and at the end of the Ep she is rescued by a Dude- out of his own innate kindness/humanity, that is certainly not a woke trope.

I see woke as girls always are great - with men being simultaneously put down (why men ans women can't both be great at the same time escapes me). The need to diminish something (in this case the role of men) to elevate something else (in this case women) always seemed weak to me... but that's just my opinion.

There may be other story telling elements that you can pick apart (with legit cause) - but throwing woke at it and saying that's what wrong with it is unfair in my opinion.

Jedi Dade

I enjoyed the first episode - It doesn't feel like Westworld yet, but I like the world building and there's clearly directions the show is going to go, and I'm happy (and patient enough) to see what happens. I imagine it will end badly for everyone!

I also don't agree with the woke accusations. There is natural progression in the characters motives and host abilities that have been building since the first series. And ultimately Westworld has always been about rich powerful people being awful to anyone or anything they deem below them. That's not woke, that's just human nature and the history of the human race.

Hopefully we'll see more of Calab's construction robot pal. He's great

A much better episode than the first one but I am disappointed that we won't see War World again and I was wondering how they could have another world when everything was destroyed at the end of last season. It was nice seeing some familiar characters but I'm wondering how much of that was new footage or if they used footage from season 1.

The two techs working on the dragon (which is Drogon) were benioff and Weiss the showrunners for Game of Thrones. Tormund was not there - but he is going to be in season 2 of the Witcher as a prominent character.

Jedi Dade

I see woke as girls always are great - with men being simultaneously put down (why men ans women can't both be great at the same time escapes me). The need to diminish something (in this case the role of men) to elevate something else (in this case women) always seemed weak to me... but that's just my opinion.

This 10000% Equality is equality regardless of gender or orientation. When they start down the "woke" path, I'm out.

I think season 3, episode 3 hits it out of the park again. I’m really loving this season. I like how Deloris comes to the realization that not all humans should be wiped out and some are worthy of sparing (for now anyway). And who is in the Hale host? Teddy? A duplicate Deloris? Hale’s engrams from the library? And they’re doing a great job making the future look like the future. Take notes CBS ALL Access!

And who is in the Hale host? Teddy? A duplicate Deloris? Hale’s engrams from the library?

I keep going back and forth on it being Teddy or a duplicate Deloris but for now am leaning towards a duplicate Deloris because I was under the impression that the Hale we saw at the end of season 2 was Deloris because she knew that was the only way she could get out. I'm sure all will be explained, except for what they want to leave for season 4, at the end of the season.

I have to say that this season so far is way better than season 2 - but I miss the park. This seems like its almost a different show without it being front and center.

Jedi Dade

I keep going back and forth on it being Teddy or a duplicate Deloris but for now am leaning towards a duplicate Deloris because I was under the impression that the Hale we saw at the end of season 2 was Deloris because she knew that was the only way she could get out. I'm sure all will be explained, except for what they want to leave for season 4, at the end of the season.
I was thinking she was Deloris because of her line “Remember, I know you better than anyone else”, or something to that effect. But if it is Deloris, how does she know Hale’s family and everyone at Delos?

I was thinking she was Deloris because of her line “Remember, I know you better than anyone else”, or something to that effect. But if it is Deloris, how does she know Hale’s family and everyone at Delos?

That was also my thinking but it also seemed like she didn't know everything but then again Deloris might have uploaded the real Hales memories that just didn't include everything, like her being the mole. It is all very confusing, which is probably exactly what they are going for.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back