Was Luke’s ROTJ Saber INTENDED To Be A GRAFLEX?

Alley have you done a ranch saber replica? I would love to see you post it here if you have
Yeah, I have a Ranch build (below).

I was able to track down one of the rare “true chrome” Folmers for the build.

IMG_9014.jpeg
IMG_9010.jpeg
IMG_9009.jpeg
IMG_9008.jpeg
IMG_9011.jpeg

So my buddy teecrooz has corrected me. It’s not joe Johnston in the cave, it’s Randy Johnson assistant camera man

Turn the page, and there is a caption stating Hamill is in the cave…

Who do we believe now lol

Randy Johnson was also the one in Luke’s costume when they burned vader..

So just recently I’ve read, I believe in the rinzler book.. that from the beginning, when they were writing the scrips Lucas insisted that luke was going to have a new lightsaber

Lucas himself is quoted in the book stating “because Luke lost in the battle with vader”

And he was talking with kazanjian about how it’s also going to be a different color

I was always under the impression the blue saber was changed because the blade got lost in the yuma sky

But after reading this recently, and I mean with in the last few months. I’m wondering now what the true story is..

It's not like Lucas has ever retconned anything. Oh, wait...

There were always to be 9 movies (or more)
The story(ies) come from the Journal of the Whills
Vader was always Luke's father, and Luke had a twin sibling
Minch Yoda was Obi-Wan's master
Obi-Wan and Owen were brothers
Vader's iconic armor and helmet were meant as a space suit so he could travel between vessels; not as a life-sustaining ventilator that he wore almost all the time.

Things change, and slowly progress. Small ideas initially cast aside may later become fleshed out and utilized once $$$ and resources become available.

Last edited:
I do think the Kobold is flipped at this time. Some casts are solid, some were rotocast for the air canon
1683570949334.png

Looks flipped to me. By the way, on the ranch saber the kobold is not just flipped but is filed flat and it does not look like it was ever riveted as the holes are not enlarged to fit rivets. Sounds like a lot of effort if the original kobold was removed just to make a cast.

Also despite the low resolution I kind of notice some change of texture above his finger, that's exactly where the mylar tape starts ( looking at my own build ) so there's some chance it was already there (if this is the same saber at all)

Last edited:
View attachment 1699316
Looks flipped to me. By the way, on the ranch saber the kobold is not just flipped but is filed flat and it does not look like it was ever riveted as the holes are not enlarged to fit rivets. Sounds like a lot of effort if the original kobold was removed just to make a cast.

Also despite the low resolution I kind of notice some change of texture above his finger, that's exactly where the mylar tape starts ( looking at my own build ) so there's some chance it was already there (if this is the same saber at all)
You know I’ve never noticed it flat! Or even heard of it in any threads! Wicked interesting! Now you got me looking for reference

The kobold clip does look like it’s lined up with the grips the same as the Ranch saber and I believe I can see one of the small screws in the top of the grip. I also agree you can maybe see the wide texture tape on the clamp, it looks like there is a line right in the spot where the edge of the tape would be going down next to the square tab opening on the clamp.

They didn't use computers yet for that stuff. But it was probably a rush job for the trailer and the first saber animation done, and as such perhaps any decision to use a new color had not yet been communicated.
I meant the rotoscoping, do you know if it was easier rotoscoping wise to stick with blue?

The kobold clip does look like it’s lined up with the grips the same as the Ranch saber and I believe I can see one of the small screws in the top of the grip. I also agree you can maybe see the wide texture tape on the clamp, it looks like there is a line right in the spot where the edge of the tape would be going down next to the square tab opening on the clamp.
How many times does this happen to us.. “if it was just little clearer!!” Eeeerrrr

Kenner had apparently been told that Luke’s laser sword would be blue in ROTJ (as noted in the first carded examples of the “Luke Jedi” figures, before they were updated as having green laser swords). Yeah, I know, no need to get into the whole “yellow lightsaber” thing…

IMG_9017.jpeg

IMG_9018.jpeg

Last edited:
They didn't use computers yet for that stuff. But it was probably a rush job for the trailer and the first saber animation done, and as such perhaps any decision to use a new color had not yet been communicated.

It should be noted that the posters, the first run of the ROTJ Luke action figure, and other such merchandise all featured a blue saber, indicating that this was a deliberate change to green made later in the game. Not unlike the movie's title change, only a few months before release.

It should be noted that the posters, the first run of the ROTJ Luke action figure, and other such merchandise all featured a blue saber, indicating that this was a deliberate change to green made later in the game. Not unlike the movie's title change, only a few months before release.
The book has Lucas talking about a new color before the script was even done

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back