War Machine Foam Build FINAL- YOUTUBE VIDS UP

Shades

Hey Guys!

Lurker here. First thread. I have been watching the RPF for about 3 years and I am finally stepping it up with my builds. I did Iron Man last year, in a goofy piece meal way using toys, moto cross gear, foam, and air clay.View attachment 61093

Well I got the bug and decide to try pep and eva foam.

First off, I need to give credit to Stealth for all the great tutorial vids that got me started and Juice/ Dubean33 for the war machine pep files. Also iceagonakilya on youtube known as Ben on the 405th has great vids on youtube. I would not of been about to start this build without the knowledge shared by these gentlemen.

I started with the .pdo files and modified them for EVA harbor freight foam. I removed all the tabs and "trim" pieces that aren't needed with foam. The trick is to visualize how the pieces will hit together. The Join/disjoin tool is your friend. I try to make most pieces flat as I find it is easier to bevel two adjoining faces then to bend a larger one.View attachment 61094

Once the files are printed on standard paper, I use "tack" adhesive spray by 3m to attach the whole sheet the the foam (you need to make sure the paper can be pulled off the foam after cutting). I have tried cutting the foam about 8 different ways and all have advantages and disadvantages. I HATED using a hot knife. it is pain and the foam is too thick. I went a got a scroll saw from Harbor Freight for 60 bucks with a coupon. Totally worth it. The cuts are quick and accurate. To clean up edges and put bevels where I need them, I use a dremel tool sanding wheel. I also found an electric carving knife to be useful. I got one for 25 off amazon. It is good for large rough cuts and putting a bevel edge on foam. View attachment 61095

After I have all the pieces, I peel off the paper and pull up the model. Using a hot glue gun and duct tape to hold things in place, I attach all the foam pieces together using the demel for angled joints.

Using this method, I made a helmet in about 3-4 hours start to finish. Beats the hell out of the week of work that was the pep helm.
View attachment 61096

Here is my progress so far. I am about two weeks in, but the first week was all research and planning. Hope to get the arms and guns done this weekend.

View attachment 61097

My thoughts...

EVA is awesome. I have about 60 bucks in foam, 20 in glue, 20 for a bad ass glue gun, and 60 for a saw. I will spend about another 100 on trim material, that includes a spinning gaitling gun. So, this should be a 250- 300 dollar build.

Once you get a feel for the foam, it is really easy to work with it. A year after I first started using is, I can now whip up a pretty decent helmet on short order.

No resin and no endless hours of sanding are also awesome.

Thanks for Reading-

Shades
a.k.a.
Keith Charles

Last edited:
Re: War Machine Foam Build

View attachment 62999

Legs cut and glued. Trying to figure out how to get them to stay in place before sealing with plasti dip. Need to get my boots together to see how everything will sit.

i just love foam builds :) i still would recommend doing helmets pepakura style, as they have more details and you dont have to work that hard in the bondo stage :) amazing work tho :)

@Sauron...

I did make a pep helmet and after a week of solid work and making my girlfriend help it was still a little small. It was my first pep project and a HD War Machine Helmet may of been too much. So, I used the file to make a Foam one and I am really happy with it. If I have the time, I may try the pep again, but the Foam one took only 4 hours or so. But, you do lose some detail and proper curvature.

On the other hand. the foam is really tough. I could throw it against the wall and it would be fine. I do plan on being very drunk for Halloween.

@Sauron...

I did make a pep helmet and after a week of solid work and making my girlfriend help it was still a little small. It was my first pep project and a HD War Machine Helmet may of been too much. So, I used the file to make a Foam one and I am really happy with it. If I have the time, I may try the pep again, but the Foam one took only 4 hours or so. But, you do lose some detail and proper curvature.

On the other hand. the foam is really tough. I could throw it against the wall and it would be fine. I do plan on being very drunk for Halloween.
I had the same prob. I had to build 3 helmets, and probably will make a 4th one sooner or later as this one is slightly too big :/ it gets faster every time :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back