Wanting to Post Firefly Ship's Papers but have questions

LeoFirebrand

I recently decided to build a replica of the Serenity's Ships Papers from the TV show Firefly. It was quite difficult compiling the 14 pages worth of content that makes up the paperwork that goes inside the leatherbound wallet. Especially getting high resolution versions. I was wanting to post a link for people to download what I have compiled but I dont want to get in trouble so I have a few questions first.

1. Some of the graphics and entire pages where taken from threads on this forum and FierflyProps. Some were made in part or all by me. I am not selling these and since I found these in forums is it okay to redistribute stuff I found along side my work as a single package even if I did not create everything myself?

2. I tried to mimic the official QMX documents in some cases which meant modifying stuff I found or creating from scratch pages that look like the official ones. Since prop making at it's core is about visually replicating something else I imagine this is fine I just want to make sure.

If I post my compiled pages I will obviously not take credit for all the work I just figured my efforts to compile everything and improve them might make other peoples attempts easier. Thanks for any help.

I would recommend posting them in the Paper props section, which is generally and openly 'free props' section of the forum. Second, I would post as much credit as possible, citing the various sources, artists and materials you borrowed upon. If anyone has an objection about a particular page or graphic, you can remove that image.

Here is the link to the longest, ongoing firefly thread, which includes many 'ship's papers'. http://www.therpf.com/f40/firefly-serenity-68244/

Here are the papers I compiled The pages line up with the official QMX page layout. For those who dont know what that means, QMX made an official prop and if you google QMX Ships Papers PDF you should be able to find an explanation of each page:
  • page 1 - Modified a version I found to look more like the QMX versions.
  • Page 2 - Heavily modified version of one I found. Did not like the look of the QMX version so mine is different. Hazrad graphic was created by William Pace (aka Yellowjacket).
  • Page 3 - Near recreation of QMX version using some sourced graphics.
  • Page 4 - Near recreation of QMX version using some sourced graphics.
  • Page 4-2 - Resized ships papers I found to fit my Page 4. Supposed to be attached in the yellow box with the stamp lining up.
  • Page 5 - Image I found on the web that I felt worked for the Ship specifications.
  • Page 6 - Did not use because I did not think it made sense for a ship to have to define space they could use for smuggling....kinda defeats the point.
  • Page 7 - Near recreation of QMX version using some sourced graphics.
  • Page 7-2 - Resized receipt I found that is supposed to be clipped to page 7 to show repair for violation.
  • Page 8 - Resized from image I found on web or forum.
  • Page 9 - Resized from image I found on web or forum.
  • Page 10 - Just included what I found in this forum. Like the look better than the QMX Beaumonde papers actually. Created by William Pace (aka Yellowjacket).
  • Page 11/12 - Resized from image I found on web or forum.
  • Page 13 - Simlar to QMX version using some sourced graphics.
I also include two graphics I found that define the dimension of the leather wallet. For the snaps I suggest using size 24 brass Snaps. The brass plate that holds the papers in uses 1/4 inch brass Chicago screws. You may decide to use longer screws though. I dont have the tools to cut brass plates so I glued sever pieces of 110 pound card stock together and painted them with brass colored waterbased paint. Use a horse hair brush and paint in the same direction to give it a satin polish look. I got thin untanned leather and dyed it using Eco-Flow Acorn Brown. It will take 2-3 coats to get the right color. Dye both sides of the leather.

When I get home tonight I will post some money you can print up. I found the graphics and just formated them to be printer friend for double sided printing.

I will also post the finished version once it is done so you can make sure you actually want to take my recommendations ;)

Again if there are any problems with me posting this, just let me know and I will pull them down. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The HAZRAD Department seal on Page 2 is mine and I did both sides of Page 10 'Beaumonde Bonded Carrier and Forwarding Operations Department' (with the credit for the round Alliance logo going to the artist who created it for the series). I don't mind you using them. Just mention that they came from William Pace (aka Yellowjacket).

Updated my post to include your name. Excellent job by the way! By far the highest quality of the pages I found. Im guessing you made all the graphics as Vector files?

I only do graphics as a hobby and have never really done much with vector files....really need to just sit down and learn how to make them.

The HAZRAD Department seal on Page 2 is mine and I did both sides of Page 10 'Beaumonde Bonded Carrier and Forwarding Operations Department' (with the credit for the round Alliance logo going to the artist who created it for the series). I don't mind you using them. Just mention that they came from William Pace (aka Yellowjacket).

Thank you, and yes. I try to create as many original vectored pieces as possible, so they'll print well on even the poorest of machines. Some of the stamps are bmp, jpeg or png files, but most of the continuous detailing was created in Macromedia Freehand. The border details take a while to puzzle out and piece together, but they print so much better than your average tiff or jpeg image, so it's worth the time. I still go completely old school from time to time and add in elements that are done in pencil, watercolor, pen & ink, etc., when the particular project calls for it.

Page 4-2 is Ben Mund's, aka Whitefall. It's meant to be a stamped insert that matches up with a page in the official papers. I *think* page 13 may be his as well from the official set.

Although looking closer at 4-2, there have been some changes made in the text. The ship's registered as "The Serenity" instead of just Serenity. Also I double checked the official ship's roster, and unless it's an early effort by Ben, it's not the one that came with the QMx set. The Chinese is wrong and the boxes are a little more ornate with scrollwork on the QMx set.

Last edited:
seeing this reminded me that i found a scan someone did of the amnesty paperwork. i sure that someone with a little skill can change this to their own name and pic

enjoy

i also have the Independent script that QMX gave away as a free download for a while. if anyone wants this i can email it as i don't have any place to store it on line at the min. just pm me

Amnesty.jpg

I recently decided to build a replica of the Serenity's Ships Papers from the TV show Firefly.
SNIP
1. Some of the graphics and entire pages where taken from threads on this forum and FierflyProps.
SNIP

So, by all means post a thread of your interpretation over at
www.fireflyprops.net

On here, it will be pages back fairly quickly, even in Paper Props.
In the Non-canon section of fireflyprops, it will be more easily accessible.

Mike

Here is the money I said I would post. Again I did not make any of this I just formatted it in a word doc to make it easier to print.

Also to the previous poster, I plan on posting it on Firefly Props as well. I will have the finished prop done tomorrow and will likely make a post there on Saturday.

Page 1 mentions the United States and the state of New York... That'll need editing. Otherwise, looks pretty darn good. I just may be printing myself a set.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back