WandaVision

While I'm sure Marvel has this in hand and I have faith it is going to lead to something really good, I will have to admit--two episodes of this sitcom crap is quite enough for me. I guess we have at least one more to go as we know we see them in their comic book outfits in one episode.

But I really don't care to see seven more episodes like these first two. This one might actually be worth waiting until it is all over and binging it all at once.

I am really digging this. There are a ton of subtle and not so subtle clues that things are not what they appear.

A couple things I really like:

The set changes! The first episode was a very Dick Van Dyke style living room and the second was very Bewitched. The attention to detail in these sets in amazing. I don't want to overstate it, but I feel rewarded for watching those reruns as a kid.

Second, I love the camera work. These episodes are framed just like those old sitcoms, only deviating when the world deviates. I can't really explain it better as I don't know what's coming, but you can feel the facade peeling away when they take up more contemporary shot framing and it's a genius idea.

This is definitely a show for old tv fans, and I cannot wait to see how weird it gets.

Often these days the opinion that if you don't like something, everyone else who does is wrong. With this show, due to its stylized nature, it should be obvious that if you don't like it, it's because it's not to your taste, not that it is objectively bad.

By the way, the show is amazing, (and that's my completly objective opinion, and is in no way influenced by me watching Nick at Nite growing up ).

I am really digging this. There are a ton of subtle and not so subtle clues that things are not what they appear.

A couple things I really like:

The set changes! The first episode was a very Dick Van Dyke style living room and the second was very Bewitched. The attention to detail in these sets in amazing. I don't want to overstate it, but I feel rewarded for watching those reruns as a kid.

Second, I love the camera work. These episodes are framed just like those old sitcoms, only deviating when the world deviates. I can't really explain it better as I don't know what's coming, but you can feel the facade peeling away when they take up more contemporary shot framing and it's a genius idea.

This is definitely a show for old tv fans, and I cannot wait to see how weird it gets.

As you can see, we just had the 50's then the 60's and, presumably, the next episodes will be the 70's then the 80's.

I agree about the camerawork, framing and even the acting are all solid. It must be tough trying to emulate the style without lampooning it.

The payback needs to be really good to justify sitting through so much lovingly recreated tedium. I believe it's going somewhere but I'm not convinced it's worth the ride.

I am hearing people's criticism, not that I aree with it, but I dont understand what they were expecting.
Okay so maybe the decision to go with the sitcom style narrative as a possible framing device for telling the story of Wanda's trauma isn't to your taste but that doesn't mean it is bad. Just not what you expected perhaps.
To those who have almost writen the show off after just one hour without knowing how the teased mystery elements of SWORD and the world outside Westview play out. What would you have rather seen? How would you have come up with a narrative that others wouldn't have complained was too formulaic?
Like the show or not, Marvel are taking risks with their first MCU TV show and I'm excited to see where it goes.
Happy viewing everyone.

I am hearing people's criticism, not that I aree with it, but I dont understand what they were expecting.
Okay so maybe the decision to go with the sitcom style narrative as a possible framing device for telling the story of Wanda's trauma isn't to your taste but that doesn't mean it is bad. Just not what you expected perhaps.
To those who have almost writen the show off after just one hour without knowing how the teased mystery elements of SWORD and the world outside Westview play out. What would you have rather seen? How would you have come up with a narrative that others wouldn't have complained was too formulaic?
Like the show or not, Marvel are taking risks with their first MCU TV show and I'm excited to see where it goes.
Happy viewing everyone.
That's kinda what I'm thinking about some of the criticisms. This isn't the creators deciding to do a superhero show, but deciding to set it in a retro sitcom setup, this is what's going on in Wanda's head while either dealing with tragedy, or being manipulated from a malevolent force.

She grew up in basically a third-world country, & probably spent a huge amount of time watching these old reruns, so they're where her mind goes to comfort herself in some memories from a happier fine in her life. Before, you know, the attack on her home, the death of her parents, waiting to die in rubble for three days, the torture, experiments, brainwashing, manipulation, death of her twin brother, having to kill the love of your life, then having to watch him be resurrected, then having to watch him be murdered, etc.

Happy viewing everyone.
I think it's because it's a completely different show than other Marvel shows. Previous Marvel shows had a lot of action, with the main characters fighting off the baddie of the season with varying degrees of violence. Any sort of romance was a b plot and there wasn't much humor.

I do wonder though ... is Marvel trying to bring in more female viewers who might be less inclined towards action-y and violent shows? Because they got me there. I stopped watching Agents of Shield years ago because it was too emotionally exhausting. I like a good action sequence but I am so done with dark/emotionally heavy storylines. Even more now due to the pandemic induced grief from 2020.

Last edited:
The fact that so far WandaVision is different from the usual super hero fare is great. I wouldn't be watching if it was the same formulaic super hero bs. There weren't many expectations other than that. Different doesn't always necessarily mean good. If they take this to a better place it may be worth it. I really hope there's great payoff and that this show helps push other franchises/film makers to take more risks. I certainly haven't written it off. But yes this is opinion and no one needs to agree. Whether or not anything is good or bad is always opinion (critic, fan or casual viewer), there is no absolute truth when it comes to film and television being enjoyable or not.

Let’s hope it’s nothing like “Legion” at all. That show was godawful.
Man... I hate that you didn't like that one. It's one of my favorites & I just never understood the hate it got.

Really disappointed we never got a Blu-ray or 4K release for it.

Anyways, don't want to derail, but I could see this devolving to that level of kookiness in Wanda's head before it's all over.

Man... I hate that you didn't like that one. It's one of my favorites & I just never understood the hate it got.

Really disappointed we never got a Blu-ray or 4K release for it.

Anyways, don't want to derail, but I could see this devolving to that level of kookiness in Wanda's head before it's all over.

I liked Legion and then ditched it once the female robots with mustaches showed up...

This show better get on the rails pretty soon and show us the reason they are in a sitcom. It took everything I had to cringe and get through the first episode.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back