• Not Fade Away

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This Is 40

• West of Memphis

• Total voters
Hunger Games - WANTED to like it, guess I'll read the books

The books are far and above better than the movie. The reason why the movie fails to live up to the book is because the book is written from the first person perspective, telling the story not only with Katniss's actions, but with her thoughts and memories. It's hard to show all that in a movie.

1. Skyfall
2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
3. Wreck-It Ralph
4. The Cabin In The Woods
5. Dredd
6. Frankenweenie
7. The Raid
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. The Avengers
10. The Expendables 2

ZDT was released in limited theatres (LA, NYC) on Dec 19 (thus also qualifying it for awards season), but yeah wide release is on Jan 11, 2013.

Oh man, this is a tough vote. I loved so many of 2012's films, picking just one to vote for will be difficult. I'll have to pick between Dredd, The Hobbit, Skyfall, Cabin in the Woods, and Looper. I liked DKR a lot, but it wasn't among my top films of the year. I still never got around to seeing Cloud Atlas, which is crazy considering how excited I was for it. I just never had time for it.

Oh man, this is a tough vote. I loved so many of 2012's films, picking just one to vote for will be difficult. I'll have to pick between Dredd, The Hobbit, Skyfall, Cabin in the Woods, and Looper. I liked DKR a lot, but it wasn't among my top films of the year. I still never got around to seeing Cloud Atlas, which is crazy considering how excited I was for it. I just never had time for it.

Cloud Atlas...:popcorn
It was good and bad at times. I just felt all the stories were only loosely tied together. And the resolution...

It was cool to see the "evolution" of some of the characters and the final two incarnations of one person in particluar...(Agent Smith):eek

1. Life of Pi
2. Django Unchained
3. Wreck it Ralph
4. Tim and Erics Billion Dollar Movie
5. The Cabin in the Woods
6. 21 Jump Street
7. Dredd
8. Sinister
9. The Hunger Games
10.The Avengers

Last edited:
With so many good SF films this year, it was a tough choice, but ultimately, I had to pick...

DREDD. This is the movie Judge Dredd fans have been wanting for 35 years! :cool

Honorable mention goes to 2 movies that are missing from your list... the wonderful indie SF comedy Safety Not Guaranteed, and In Time, Andrew Niccol's long overdue return to writing and directing his own original SF! :cool:thumbsup

Too bad Niccol's next project is an adaptation of Stephanie Meyers' The Host. I'll be waiting for Netflix on that one. :thumbsdown

Dark Knight Rises
Looper
Skyfall

I liked many others on the list, but these three left me saying "WOW" after having watched them. DKR gets my first place vote due to the fact that there was a great deal of anticipation and high expectations with the movie, and it delivered.

Movies on the list that I didn't see that I want to:
Argo, Prometheus, MIB3, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Django, and Life of Pi.

I have ZERO desire to see Avengers, as I cannot stand anything that Joss Whedon has his hand in.

... for Best Drama and Best Director.

And rightly so!

"Argo **** yourself" :)

Affleck didn't even get nominated for best director oscar. That is a MAJOR oversight.

Argo was amazing. Maybe the golden globes win will get more people to watch it. I voted it my favorite a while ago.

.....and Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms!

Hmm... Let's see....

1. Men in Black 3! Best in all categories.
2. Argo
3. Dark Knight Rises (because I'm a huge batman and anne hathaway fan but found the plot disappointing and full of things that didn't make sense)
3. Skyfall (because I'm a big bond fan and it was pleasing but found the plot disappointing and full of things that didnt make sense. I think bardem, adele, and the aston martin were the key components of its somewhat success)
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Les Mis
6. 21 jump street ( funniest thing ive watched in a long time)
7. The hobbit? The Avengers?

I still need to watch Dredd, Flight, and Lincoln but i would probably put them in my top 10.

Last edited:
3. Skyfall (because I'm a big bond fan and it was pleasing but found the plot disappointing and full of things that didnt make sense. I think bardem, adele, and the aston martin were the key components of its somewhat success)

Somewhat success? Inflation adjusted Skyfall just recently passed Thunderball as the highest grossing Bond film of all time!

It really is hard to say. 2012 was just such a great year for movies. I loved almost everything I saw, and I saw a lot in theaters. If push came to shove I would have to say that Avengers wins out by a narrow margin over the rest. Dredd was a surprisingly great movie, and Skyfall was just amazing to watch after the disappointment that was Quantum of Solace. The Hobbit and Dark Knight Rises suffered in my mind just because I expected better, though I thoroughly enjoyed both. Looper, Argo, and Le Mis we each much different from what I expected and were each surprisingly good. I guess the would be my top... What was that, seven? Yeah, my top seven film of 2012.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back