Vibro axe again. (See post #129 - #132)

Hey all :) Thanks to the tips in this thread and elswhere I got my Vibro Axe completed for Melbourne Armageddon.

It breaks down into four parts to travel and I'll probably permanently fix one of those points as it does cause a spot of wobble ;)

Anyway one of my Fave pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chansplace/4024483253/
I wound up scratch building my "Supermax" part from polystyrene and fibreglass using reference pics. I was able to compare my part to a cast of the hairdryer and I really didn't do too badly at all considering I couldn't find a pure profile ;)

Oh and that is my own cast for the bikini set itself. I spent about 6 months sculpting and resculpting and casting that ;) Still doing some retweaks now!

Great pic, Great Axe, great bikini, and great........... Um....... ;)

From what I can tell from the pics, you really did do a great job recreating the superMax part of the axe. I can't imagine having to make that part from scratch. And your really did do a fantastic job on the bikini too.

Thank you :) Yeah I went through a bit of a trial by fire with making that thing!

I wasn't going to try for absolute accuracy on the blade just as close I could given the time constraints I had. That said I would never have actually made it if I wanted to wait to find all the right parts ;) Been there done that regretted it!

There are a lot of details I need to get photograpghed better. Hopefully if I get over this cold I can organise some soon ;)

Has anyone gotten any further with there axes? I konw the last I heard, there were a hand full of folks creeping along, with theres, and since It's been a wile, I thought I would see how it's going.

I'm still kind of in a holding pattern with mine.

My two sets are complete (I think) but still unassembled. My last project darn near killed me (was having a mysterious condition that caused me to be seriously fatigued for no apparent reason), but I finished it just to prove a point.

I may pick this up again now that I'm better. I have some MDF board left over so I might just make the blade from scratch...once I get that done the rest should be quite fast.

My two sets are complete (I think) but still unassembled. My last project darn near killed me (was having a mysterious condition that caused me to be seriously fatigued for no apparent reason), but I finished it just to prove a point.

I may pick this up again now that I'm better. I have some MDF board left over so I might just make the blade from scratch...once I get that done the rest should be quite fast.

WOW, sorry, to hear about the effects that you last project had on you.

I'm kind of curious what the project was . I myself am tired most of the time, and I though it was just sleep apnea, but I have often wondered if it had something to do with the materials I work with, on my prop projects. (especially since I usually do it in my little apartment, without much ventilation. )

I'm kind of curious what the project was.
Sent you a link via PM.:)

I myself am tired most of the time, and I though it was just sleep apnea, but I have often wondered if it had something to do with the materials I work with, on my prop projects. (especially since I usually do it in my little apartment, without much ventilation.)
Even with a respirator on, and working in a well ventilated area, I can still get giddy from time to time especially when spray painting or mixing /applying resin...so working in a poorly ventilated apartment is definitely not good...

I know you have mobility issues, but maybe you should look into some kind of exhaust system.

Has anyone gotten any further with there axes? I konw the last I heard, there were a hand full of folks creeping along, with theres, and since It's been a wile, I thought I would see how it's going.

I'm still kind of in a holding pattern with mine.

Well I moved the pipe I intend to use to another side of the room, does that count as progress? :lol I may finish this as soon as I get my Endor rifle done.

I got my supermax two months ago and it has been calling to me, so I drew up some plans recently for the blade based on a lot of information here. Just got it from the laser cutter, we will see how this works out. :)

Well, seeing as I have a Slave Leia costume, I decided to make a vibro axe to go with it.

Got the super max, and most of the other parts. Here's the start of it:

I hope to have mine done by the end of August. I'm also working on some BSG flightsuits which have priority so this may or may not get completed in time.

So much to do, so little time and money to do it!

Right now, I'm trying to figure out some way to make the axe in two pieces so it's easier to transport.

Well, I figured it was about time for the yearly bump. :lol If this thread isn't archived, it should be, I mean there is a lot of good stuff here.

As for my own vibro......well...... still not done yet. :( My girlfriend keeps reading me these things she finds that say that my personality type tends to be smart, creative, etc. etc. etc. but tends to never see a project through to the end. I really hate those articles, but more, nad more I'm starting to think she is right. I have an ever growning pile of props that never get all the way done. I get them, I get to work on them, some time I get really close to finishingthem, but then I just set them aside and start work on something else. If for just a few months, I would stop starting new propjects, and really apply myself on what i have to do on the ones I already have, I would have one heck of a collection, but then I have been saying that for years. :lol

We've seen the last of the painting weather here in Ohio, until the spring, so wall I may make some great progress on some of my projects, including this one, nothing big, is getting done until then.

I hope this thread has help the rest of you thoguh. Hopefully many of you have got your vibros all done.

Well let me thank you for this great thread and all those that came before. In about 2 hours I have learned most of what I need to know to build a great Vibro Axe. I really appreciate your recap section toward the end. That is very very helpful.

Off to Lowes and Ace in the next few days to get started.

Thanks again for all your hard work.

Well let me thank you for this great thread and all those that came before. In about 2 hours I have learned most of what I need to know to build a great Vibro Axe. I really appreciate your recap section toward the end. That is very very helpful.

Totally agreed! I've been thinking about building one and now I have no excuse!

One thing I still don't get it the grip sections. Looks like the builds so far just wrapped cord. I assume this is more accurate than O rings as the real prop pics seem to indicate a cord wrap but what is the covering over the cord?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back