Velociraptor Claw

mrcarkeys42

Last spring I made a life sized Velociraptor skeleton to embed in the ground for a sculpture project. While i was mostly pleased it was kind of a rushed project, and the bones do not look very good up close. While i don't plan to redo the entire skeleton i decided to make a much nicer claw just for fun! Sculpting it out of clay then firing it (since thats pretty much all i know how to do lol)

I was very inspired by this thread by user red4 and its what i referenced back to the most while making mine:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=273226&highlight=raptor+claw

thanks for the awesome thread!

anyway, my claw is still drying and hasn't been fired yet, figured i would post the sculpt first and if anybody has good suggestions or criticisms of the design i can fix it before its fired

so far the only major problem is the size. I just eyeballed it to what I thought would look right, but its actually two inches longer than it should be (the top curved edge should be 6", mine is 8") but personally i dont mind

If anybody has any ideas on how i can improve it that would be great!

claw 1.jpg

claw 2.jpg

claw 3.jpg

claw 4.jpg

claw 5.jpg

I'm layman in case of velociraptor skeleton, but I for me I looks AMAZING! What clay did you use exactly?

The clay i used is from my school, it's just a regular stoneware clay but im not sure if it is mid-fire or high-fire since the professor takes care of the firing. I can ask if you wanted tonknow though :)

The claw looks kind of beige in the pictures but thats just due to the lighting, in person its just grey (of course this will be different ince its fired and painted)

Finished the sculpt, fired it, and finished the paint job :)

Not the best painter in the world, but i'm pretty happy with how it came out. What do you think?

new claw 1 2.jpg

new claw 2.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back