Varok Saurfang (My hubris finally got the better of me)

askernas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello builders and makers!
After my Robocop was finished about 8 months ago (and some afterfixes) I have been on the fence as to what to make next.
On one hand, it would be fun to make a Buzz Lightyear (a lot easier now after the movie and a very detailed 3d print version is out there), but not as fun as it would have been if there never was a movie..

So, After going back and forth, I've decided to make something that is way, WAY over the skill level of things I've attempted in the past.

Varok Saurfang from World of Warcraft.

This project will require 3d design, foam building, muscle suit, mechanics, animatronics, sculpting, making a silicone mask and silicone painting.

I have naturally read up on SKS props excellent Warcraft Orc build, and AlphaTech686's VERY detailed and brilliant Grommash build. In fact, if it hadn't been for t hese, I would never attempt such a thing.

I am going to make the version of Saurfang that is towards the end of his life.

1660551983905.png

Having NEVER sculpted in my life, I am in for a wild ride.
First off, I brought out my small 3d scanner and had a friend help me make a scan of my head, smoothed it out in Meshmixer, popped that in the 3d printer

IMG_6574.png

Resin smoothed it and painted and clear coated the head to have a base to start building the mask on.

IMG_6580.png

IMG_6582.png

Gah! Is my nose really that big? :eek:
While being in the digital realm, a place I fel much more confident in, I used the 3d scan to make a face plate to use for attaching the forthcoming (?) silicone mask and animatronics.

IMG_6595.png

My plan is to build the same type of upper lip snarl when opening my mouth as AlphaTech686 has on his Grommash build. Thanks for showing that in so much detail, btw!
I then brought out my really old Super Sculpey and tried to start.

IMG_6592.png

The firm Super Sculpey might be excellent for capturing details, but it was extremely brittle and VERY difficult to work with. Not even my pasta maker could process it.
After a few hours I had at least managed to get some clay on the head. To be honest it looked ... not good.

IMG_6594.png

The problem, I realized, is that Orc physiology in the face is so much different. Where the tip of my (large-ish) nose is, I would need to have the upper lip with the nose ring hanging in front of it. The end of the gray clay on the picture is where Saurfang's own nose would be. I would need to bulk up the face a LOT.

And.. with the extremely hard to work with Suer Sculpey this wasn't going to happen.

So, I ordered two boxes of Monster Clay (soft) and started bulking out.
I started with just testing to make his teeth...

IMG_6627.png

While I can understand this is a tad too soft to make the actual outermost skin layer for details on (just touching it would break any detail I have put in), it was a LOT easier to at least block out the general shape.

After sitting with this for just a little over an hour, I had already come way longer than I had with the 2 hours I spent with the Super Sculpey:

IMG_6641.png
IMG_6642.png

I let that sit over night, and started this morning to block out some more.

After 2 hours more of blocking out, this is where I am:

IMG_6644.png

IMG_6645.png

IMG_6646.png

This is just done from the top of my head. Looking at the Saurfang face now when I am writing this, I see the teeth needs to be wider, as would the mouth. The lower lip needs to cover the middle front teeth, and .. well a ton of detail that I have not even started with yet.,

This is at least a start.
And what makes this a big step for me, is that I have NEVER sculpted anything in my life. Sure, I've watched tons of videos and was enrolled in Stan Winstons online school for years and watched everything I had time for, but to think that I could have managed to even do this rough blocking in a few hours was a lot more than I had hoped for.

Now, my tired fingers needs to take a rest before I continue building his face.
My plan is to at least get a quick estimate of the shape of his face before I remove the teeth and detail them and 3dscan and/or cast them.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on that ambitious build!

Agree 100% about the firm Sculpy. I just couldn't do it.

I switched to the soft Sculpy which worked well for my far simpler project:

JjtIgNV.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on that ambitious build!

Agree 100% about the firm Sculpy. I just couldn't do it.

I switched to the soft Sculpy which worked well for my far simpler project:

View attachment 1608038
That's a fine looking dagger, Sir. =)
And I KNOW this is an insane project.

I guess that's what made me want to attempt it...

Insane project askernaso_O Kudos trying to sculpt something like this for the first time. I think that the main fangs are too thick and not "dainty" enough (as the other two canines). Furthermore; they are slightly curved, away from his face (according to the first pic you've posted).
Keep up the good work and eager to see your next update;)

Insane project askernaso_O Kudos trying to sculpt something like this for the first time. I think that the main fangs are too thick and not "dainty" enough (as the other two canines). Furthermore; they are slightly curved, away from his face (according to the first pic you've posted).
Keep up the good work and eager to see your next update;)
Thanks for the feedback =)

The fangs and teeth are not part of the sculpt per se, but a piece that is just lose and as such, it is "falling" against the face as I don't want to fasten it at the moment.

There are a lot of things that are not correct and needs fixing, but I try and just get a base done and then adjust one area at the time.
The fangs are about 2cm in diameter at the bottom, but they should, as you point out, be thinner much more quickly. As for the angle, that is something that will be fixed and experimented with when I build the hinged jaw, as the teeth will be fastened in the jaw itself.

There are still a lot of things in the face, the nose, the main wrinkles that needs to be improved on.

I'm counting on this sculpt to take me months. One small piece at the time.
I figured that what I lack in still, I could make up for by taking things slow and doing one small area at the time.

I'm just attaching a quick pic with the (same) teeth angled a bit more accurate after watching the Mak'Gora cutscene (again)...

I figured building the foam bits is the "easy" parts, so I didn't want my build project to end on not getting the mask done, hence me starting with it...

Attachments

• IMG_6658.jpg
    IMG_6658.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 62
Right. Done with this guy for today.
Considering it is my first time sculpting anything, I'm quite happy with the work I've done today.

Still, I know, a long way to go =)

IMG_6666.jpg

IMG_6667.jpg

IMG_6668.jpg

Sculpting Saurfang Day 2:

I startedthe day by looking at what I did, looking at screen caps from the Mak'Gora cutscene, and realized I hated the jaw.
The jaw stuck out way too far, and if I place the fangs leaning outwards and to the sides, they would still fit without issues.

The jaw was too square as was the mouth opening.

Fortunately, clay is a very forgiving material and easy to change things. I just wish the UNDO button would work...

So, my day started with me putting the scalpel to poor Varok's throat and I cut his jaw off!

IMG_6670.jpg

Once it was off, I could work on smoothing the clay inside his mouth and also reshaping the mouth somewhat.
IMG_6671.jpg

I filled up as much as I could of the jaw with clay as I am going to cast this at some point, while still having enough on a lip on the inside (Which I obviously didn't have in the pic above), reshaped the bottom jaw as well and most importantly, cut off 1 cm in length to not make it stick out quite so much.

I like this a lot more, and after reattaching tje jaw, smoothing everything out, I tried to accomplish some sort of basic skin texture with a natural sponge.

I still need to add a ton of wrinkles and probably need to revisit the pores as well, but this is where things are at the moment. The lips are also a grea

Unfortunately, I can no longer fit the lose teeth through the jaw opening for prettier pictures, but I am a lot happier with how this is turning out.
IMG_6674.jpg
IMG_6675.jpg
73741DC6-C14A-4161-A0A3-0FAE01D0B446.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you using lighter fluid to work the clay more easily? It's getting there, as you said. For a first sculpt; you're doing well ;) (y)

Are you using lighter fluid to work the clay more easily? It's getting there, as you said. For a first sculpt; you're doing well ;) (y)
Thank you =)

Lighter fluid? Must try that at once!

I've been trying to smooth out with makeup remover (dissolves oil) and isopropanol, but none of them really work well.

The only smoothing on him so far is by hand.. wither through any of the following tolls I've made from old guitar strings, my finger, and some from my food torch.

Guess the créme brulée will have to wait...

IMG_6681.jpg

Well, making your own tool is very smart; since a lot of sculptor have found tricks to do certain effects that store-bought ones didn't do well;)
How was your experiment with lighter fluid?

Well, making your own tool is very smart; since a lot of sculptor have found tricks to do certain effects that store-bought ones didn't do well;)
How was your experiment with lighter fluid?
A few days of work has come in between me and the sculpting, but I had two hours to spare this afternoon.

However, I have come to an important conclusion about the sculpt:

The sculpt so far is not Saurfang.

It is an orc, yes, but not Saurfang.
I LIKE my Orc, but it was not the orc I set out to make.

So, I'm keeping this guy for now, working on learning how to make proper skin texture for future casting, but I will start on another head and just not freeball it.

I knew having my head 3d scanned was a good thing. I've printed a second face and mounted it to a slanted board:
2013583D-D25E-486C-A0B4-AB2CB3B0AB7D.jpeg

This time I've been blocking out the character with a large printout in front of me, and already I can see Saurfang emerging from the clay.

BDEF9681-F4A0-4279-90AD-9A375D2AB92A.jpeg

1F6BD2ED-BD63-4B04-901A-28D42F450981.jpeg

8E1B7A92-51AC-4C02-8E8B-C584209F67EE.jpeg

This is of course very rough, but it feels so much more right.

The old face will be saved to practice making skin texture on, and possibly to practice casting as well. :)

BD230689-53EB-4A9D-8E0E-B363DF043FD3.jpeg
A70528B0-52FF-4279-AE74-0DD7009D8354.jpeg
0B55902D-B45B-4FF8-8445-B67F20F2BBED.jpeg
80B3F917-E09C-4EDF-881F-75085FCACAB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes...about casting: once you're satisfied with parts of your sculpt; you can cast them. For example: the fangs. Since the curve and height are the same for the left, as well as the right; you could just make a mold for one fang and just flipped it on the other side of the jaw as well as your other ones.

After a bit of smoothing with lighter fluid:

6B59B071-F79C-4032-BED0-AAED23DD1177.jpeg
522D282C-E6EC-4BDE-B19C-8C0180B9F689.jpeg
733D7C58-FF6C-4E8D-A9A1-34138E14B610.jpeg
DA8DB2A8-5DA2-4B3C-A360-C0BCE2E8E6EF.jpeg
90768189-D186-4908-9E64-53308A10AF20.jpeg

My plan is to letting the face rest for a little while until the weather cools down (which is in a few days) to get a bit more firm clay to work on.
In the mean time, I'm going to work on making the teeth and order some silicone for casting.

Last edited:
Yes...about casting: once you're satisfied with parts of your sculpt; you can cast them. For example: the fangs. Since the curve and height are the same for the left, as well as the right; you could just make a mold for one fang and just flipped it on the other side of the jaw as well as your other ones.
What is this "satisfied" you speak of?

Resculpting the eyebrows…
In think his left before is a lot better now.

Right one will be revisited to match, of course.

His left side of the face is starting to feel smooth!
F0CDC71C-254E-4E4F-A7BD-7F32C4821B5D.jpeg
F9CB1F41-678D-4F00-AF5A-0F3197E6256E.jpeg
39A5D92E-73C2-4AE9-8283-A2C56BCD6CB0.jpeg
43F5134D-53C6-4CA7-9C40-D944EA2102A6.jpeg
1ABC43BD-BCE0-4E0D-86AE-09A73CB0079C.jpeg

What is this "satisfied" you speak of?
"Satisfied" as pertaining to your "Perfection";):) and having followed your Robocop build; I know that it'll be fantastic!
As for the skin pores; various techniques of course. My fav: Saran wrap on top of the clay and dabbing various sizes hard bristles brush.
For the nose-ring, I would (my two cents) Google "Round rubber gaskets". You'll find the right size I'm sure and something you will not have to sculpt.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back