Vader's TRUE ROTJ saber (re-examined)!!

Unable to grab any HD shots, but on a quick screengrab from the DVD, does anybody else see what I'm seeing here?
20090413-094151_2.jpg

20090413-094203-1.jpg

20090413-100459_4.jpg

To me, it looks like a graflex with the bulb retainer painted black, along with the clamp, althouh my eyes could be deceiving me. Hopefully somebody else will be able to provide some clear HD shots:)

Last edited:
There were at least 3 MPPs used in the OT.
However I do believe one ANH Vader saber did become the ESB/ROTJ. I refer to this one as the Vader ANH v2 (black angled sidebars in clamp - same as ESB/ROTJ). I think the ESB/ROTJ saber uses the calc bubbles from the ANH v1.

1. Vader ANH (silver straight sidebars) seen in SW Chronicles
2. Vader ANH v2 (black angled sidebars), reused as ESB/ROTJ
3a. Vader Barbican/ROTJ (uses a real MPP clamp, black angled sidebars)
3b. Boba Fett ESB rifle barrel

As you can see we can account for at least 3 MPP clamps in the OT. and at least 2 MPP bodies. The original Vader ANH saber could have become the Fett rifle barrel, but that doesn't explain the 3rd clamp.

PS - MPP's are less rare in the UK and considering all the flashes were probably acquired from the same source, I don't think it's that odd they had several.

To Chris you listen. :)

Yeah, that's always been a mystery to me. I can see a special effects goof, but to throw the saber, surely there was a short blade attached at the very least, to provide the correct spin? How the hell did someone mess up so badly as to stick the blade in the pommel?!

My guess is that they probably felt the shot would be more dynamic or just work better within the frame if the blade came out of the other end. I'm sure they figured that the audience would never pick up on it (and they were right until now). Screen caps rule.

PS, I think if there was a blade that you would clearly be able to see it coming out of the emitter in those caps.

Last edited:
What I mean is, maybe the rotoscoped blade looked better in the shot as it swung around if it came out of the bottom end vs. the top.

Gotcha. But given how it spins, wouldn't there have to be an actual metal stunt blade protruding? If so, and they thought the rotoscoped blade would look better the other way, where is the metal blade on the other end?

Or do you think Vader just hucked the handle?

Sorry, I'm getting a bit off topic!

I expect when they came to examine the scene frame by frame to add the blade the bottom end of the sabre just happened to be closer to the pyro charge when it went off making it the logical end for the blade to come out of.

Just a fluke of how the prop spun through the air.

..or maybe it was just a simple mistake.

I expect when they came to examine the scene frame by frame to add the blade the bottom end of the sabre just happened to be closer to the pyro charge when it went off making it the logical end for the blade to come out of.

That's a good point Jeremy. :thumbsup

GREAT THREAD! Here are some caps from the HD release. If anyone has any specific frames they want to help with this thread, just ask!

Vader_ROTJ_Saber_01.jpg
Vader_ROTJ_Saber_02.jpg
Vader_ROTJ_Saber_03.jpg
Vader_ROTJ_Saber_04.jpg
Vader_ROTJ_Saber_05.jpg
Vader_ROTJ_Saber_06.jpg
Vader_ROTJ_Saber_07.jpg

B

Last edited:
I'm gonna say that since this saber was being thrown at the film's main star, it was probably resin or rubber or some other light material.

Dan

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back