Vader Rubies

themaggot8

I want to start a project to build a Darth Vader costume. Hopefully screen accurate, but if I can't build one screen accurate, I'll be happy to get one at lest good looking. I'm still not sure if I'll go for a ROTS or an ESB Vader.

So the question is, Is the Vader supreme from Rubies good for a starting point?, and if it is, which size should I get (Standard or XL) considering that I'm 6' and 185 pounds of pure awesomeness (JK). I'm not fat, but I'm a big guy since I used to go to the gym...that until the empire of pizza and beer attacked.

Of all the rubies costumes, they did Vader the best. BUT, nothing rubies does is really good. I have a Vader supreme on a mannequin right now and decided to upgrade to high end Vader stuff and sell my rubies. Depending on what you want to spend, you can get the whole rubies suit for way less than just a high end Vader helmet

In my opinion the best budget helmet I've seen (and own) is a Darth Ugly. And it's only "budget" in price---quality is OUTSTANDING. Do a junkyard search. Also the makers are offering "Quasimodo", a slightly higher-end Vader helmet that is really really nice. But if you are budget conscious, "Ugly" is your best bet IMO.

Of all the rubies costumes, they did Vader the best. BUT, nothing rubies does is really good. I have a Vader supreme on a mannequin right now and decided to upgrade to high end Vader stuff and sell my rubies. Depending on what you want to spend, you can get the whole rubies suit for way less than just a high end Vader helmet

I saw a complete rubies for around $800 (that would be around $400 in the US) which was the cheapest one. The MR ROTS helmet was around $2000 ($1000 in the US). Considering that I live in the ass of the world, everything is going to be really expensive for me because of the shipping, and I have around $1000 to get it done, so I don't have too many options.

As far as I know, the Rubies Vader is based on the ROTS Vader (mainly because of the chest box). So having that in mind, I should change the Helmet and keep the rest, maybe I'll change the rest in the future.

And for the lightsaber, the only one that I found was a MR signature edition that was almost $2000, which is completely out of my budget. I was thinking about getting the Hasbro force FX with removable blade and customize it to make it more like the one from ROTS.

I don't know if that plan would be the best, but I'm up for opinions.

Stay away from Rubies! Any Rubies ... search for info before you throw your hard earned cash towards a Darth Vader ... any Darth Vader ... read as much as you can on http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php or join http://forum.501stsithlords.com/ there's tons of info and lots of experience and friendly folks who will stear you towards the better stuff available ... oh and a small reminder ... it takes about more than a year to complete a Vader due to the time of certain runs of parts which you'll have to wait until it's your turn and available funds ... if you don't have the patience for all that then might I suggest waiting a bit longer for Anovos to present a full 1:1 Darth Vader next year starting at $2000 for better parts than any Rubbish can provide ;)

Chaim

P.S. I'm currently working on a budget Darth 'Ugly' Vader ESB and it's been over a year already ... when it's finished I'll present it here at therpf

Stay away from Rubies! Any Rubies ... search for info before you throw your hard earned cash towards a Darth Vader ... any Darth Vader ... read as much as you can on http://thepropden.aokforums.com/index.php or join http://forum.501stsithlords.com/ there's tons of info and lots of experience and friendly folks who will stear you towards the better stuff available ... oh and a small reminder ... it takes about more than a year to complete a Vader due to the time of certain runs of parts which you'll have to wait until it's your turn and available funds ... if you don't have the patience for all that then might I suggest waiting a bit longer for Anovos to present a full 1:1 Darth Vader next year starting at $2000 for better parts than any Rubbish can provide ;)

Chaim

P.S. I'm currently working on a budget Darth 'Ugly' Vader ESB and it's been over a year already ... when it's finished I'll present it here at therpf

The problem is that I don't have $4000 to spend (the Anovos would cost me that due to shipping and taxes in my country), in fact, the Rubies go for around $800 on ebay, which means that I'll pay twice the price due to shipping and taxes (yeah, it sucks), that why I asked if the Rubies was a good option for a budget

Its not a bad budget Vader option. Of course the Darth ugly is a better helmet but $450 isn't "budget" for everybody. Rubies did a decent job on Vader with the price. I don't like rubies as much as the next guy. I can say rubies Boba Fett is complete garbage but for under $400 they did ok with Darth

The Rubies vader will take a lot of work to make look good, however it can be done. Time and Patience!

"As far as I know, the Rubies Vader is based on the ROTS Vader (mainly because of the chest box). So having that in mind, I should change the Helmet and keep the rest."

It most certainly is. Remember, there is more on that the ROTS vader suit that is different from all other OT vaders. If you do not care one iota about accuracy then go for it :) However, if you do care about accuracy and you think just changing the chest box and helmet on the Rubies supreme will give you a good vader....gadzooks...lookout! Gloves, Suit, Armor etc....it is all different. I would not buy Rubies if you are going for ESB. Save your money and chat some more here on the RPF or Prop Den.

If you want to stick with ROTS and as you say budget is a main concern - many people have done wonders with this suit.

Look At BK's thread here

http://www.therpf.com/f79/revenge-sith-darth-vader-230304/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Rubies vader will take a lot of work to make look good, however it can be done. Time and Patience!

"As far as I know, the Rubies Vader is based on the ROTS Vader (mainly because of the chest box). So having that in mind, I should change the Helmet and keep the rest."

It most certainly is. Remember, there is more on that the ROTS vader suit that is different from all other OT vaders. If you do not care one iota about accuracy then go for it :) However, if you do care about accuracy and you think just changing the chest box and helmet on the Rubies supreme will give you a good vader....gadzooks...lookout! Gloves, Suit, Armor etc....it is all different. I would not buy Rubies if you are going for ESB. Save your money and chat some more here on the RPF or Prop Den.

If you want to stick with ROTS and as you say budget is a main concern - many people have done wonders with this suit.

Look At BK's thread here

http://www.therpf.com/f79/revenge-sith-darth-vader-230304/

Thanks for the info!, so ROTS it is. I'm pretty sure that getting the helmet right is going to be a pain, but time will pay...I hope

themaggot8 Just make sure you do a lot of searching here, on the dented helmet, The Prop den etc.....

There are plenty of tutorials that will help you in your quest :)

themaggot8 Just make sure you do a lot of searching here, on the dented helmet, The Prop den etc.....

There are plenty of tutorials that will help you in your quest :)

Thanks man!. I just found a pepakura file that looks pretty accurate to the ROTS Vader helmet, so I'll try that, plus the Rubies Costume as a base. I still don't know tho which size should I get

Are you wanting to wear it or use it as a static display?

at your size I'm not sure but the xl may be too big? Hopefully someone else can chime on the size

someone at the ref once wrote

"As far as I know, the only difference between the XL and the standard are the size of the undersuit."

some other comments from various threads on the RPF

" just recieved the Supreme Xlarge Vader from Rubies and I am swimming in it. How much is the difference in size to the regular. Thanx for the help."

"Well, I actually put one of these suits on the other day for the first time, the XL, just like what you have. I am 6'6" tall and about 300lbs, and the thing fits me as if it was tailored just for me. I'd suggest moving down if you can if you could."

"got one about a year ago off of Fleabay for $200. It was an XL as well. Im about 5' 10" 185lbs. So i took it to a local seamstress and had it fitted. She did a great job for $40! Fits me like a glove now. You may want to do the same."

Last edited:
I want to wear it sometimes in order to keep my inner child happy, and also to entertain kids.

I also read that the only difference is the under suit. I'll have to check the measurements of each one.

Are you wanting to wear it or use it as a static display?

at your size I'm not sure but the xl may be too big? Hopefully someone else can chime on the size

someone at the ref once wrote

"As far as I know, the only difference between the XL and the standard are the size of the undersuit."

for what is it worth

Coming from oversease myself I realised quite well that your budget is limited ... over the last year I spend about $2000 including additional costs for shipping and 21% VAT for customs, which by the way is crazy ... I chose the ESB version because I love the wonky non-symmetrical shape and two-tone paintscheme of the mask as opposed to the symmetrical all black ROTS. Since I could not afford a high end TM ESB at the time ... a second hand Darth Ugly was what I purchased. I just wished I had waited for their armor. Best advice that can be given is to do a lot of research and ask lots of questions when in doubt ... meanwhile start saving and be patient.

I just recently read about and 'found' the best green high brightness green LEDs from Radioshack which will end up in my custom build belt boxes. Of course I could have purchased those finished belt boxes from a vendor's current run for $215 including shipping from Italy ... but now I'll have them made for less than $50 and still look believable to most viewers. Though my aim is not approval from the 501st for Darth Ugly ... The Sith Lord Detachments has the most available second hand parts in their Junkyard right now, which only becomes available to view after joining and posting at least 1 post ... I had to figure that out after searching and lurking all of last week. So perhaps you should reconsider which version you want to create after your extensive research during these holidays ... as you said a decent MR ROTS mask, which is considered amongst the best, is outside your budget ... for now and that goes also for his screen accurate lightsaber ... as suggested before ... the same goes for details on any of the parts for the suit. ESB is one the Vaders which has been most replicated, hence it would be far easier to find 'second hand' and used parts ... even more so than for ROTS.

As for the leather suit ... take a look at ebay under 'Darth Vader Props' for vendors : Fenix Props or Custom Props ... it's consider a far better costume than Rubies and they do have regular discounts for a custom fit suit ... a faux leather might be cheaper but also a lot hotter when wearing that's why most Vader cosplayers go for real leather instead.

Chaim

Last edited:
Coming from oversease myself I realised quite well that your budget is limited ... over the last year I spend about $2000 including additional costs for shipping and 21% VAT for customs, which by the way is crazy ... I chose the ESB version because I love the wonky non-symmetrical shape and two-tone paintscheme of the mask as opposed to the symmetrical all black ROTS. Since I could not afford a high end TM ESB at the time ... a second hand Darth Ugly was what I purchased. I just wished I had waited for their armor. Best advice that can be given is to do a lot of research and ask lots of questions when in doubt ... meanwhile start saving and be patient.

I just recently read about and 'found' the best green high brightness green LEDs from Radioshack which will end up in my custom build belt boxes. Of course I could have purchased those finished belt boxes from a vendor's current run for $215 including shipping from Italy ... but now I'll have them made for less than $50 and still look believable to most viewers. Though my aim is not approval from the 501st for Darth Ugly ... The Sith Lord Detachments has the most available second hand parts in their Junkyard right now, which only becomes available to view after joining and posting at least 1 post ... I had to figure that out after searching and lurking all of last week. So perhaps you should reconsider which version you want to create after your extensive research during these holidays ... as you said a decent MR ROTS mask, which is considered amongst the best, is outside your budget ... for now and that goes also for his screen accurate lightsaber ... as suggested before ... the same goes for details on any of the parts for the suit. ESB is one the Vader's most replicated hence it would be far easier to find 'second hand' and used parts ... even more so than for ROTS.

Chaim

It sucks living overseas when it comes to hobbies, in my case, when I buy something overseas I end up paying twice the original price mainly due to local taxes.

I also love the asymmetrical shape of the ESB Vader, but the ROTS Vader has something to it. Maybe is the fact that it was the period when Vader was still an absolute badass Sith (IMHO in the original trilogy it wasn't at his full potential) as mentioned in "The Rise of Darth Vader".

About the lightsaber, I'm pretty sure I can get the Hasbro close enough. I would love to get a costume 501st approved, but that's not gonna happen, at least not for now.

I'll check the Sith Lord Detachments, I had no idea about that.

Thanks!

I just added :

As for the leather suit ... take a look at ebay under 'Darth Vader Props' for vendors : Fenix Props or Custom Props ... it's considered a far better costume than Rubies and they do have regular discounts for a custom fit suit ... a faux leather might be cheaper but also a lot hotter when wearing that's why most Vader cosplayers go for real leather instead.

Any questions are welcome ... that's what we are here for ... even and especially when on a tight budget these days ;)

Chaim

There's simply too much to modify to make accurate, and the plastic is not the best material to work with.

dp-vs-rubies.jpg

Rubies-Deluxe-Helmet-Set_14.jpg

I was just reading your post about the differences about the Rubies VS the Don Post and indeed are many differences. I think I'll keep the Rubies helmet as a display piece and I'll build the ROTS one using the pepakura files I found.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back