Vader Rubies

Well, some Pepakura are interpretive and may not resemble the original in a side by side comparison, so your mileage may vary. Looking forward to seeing your progress thread on the Pep buildout!

You can build a very nice ROTS-Vader with a Rubies...the chestarmor is very accurate if you paint it and can become the right chain.But you need a MR ROTS helmet.
For an OT-Vader its a bad option in my eyes.

I get that you want a good helmet but not break the bank. Yes, if your budget was limitless, go with the best, however I almost guarantee that if you buy the Rubies Supreme helmet and you intend to wear it, you will look like Darth Vader. Everyone will look at you and say "Hey, there's Darth Vader!". Only a complete jerk will walk up to you and criticize you that you are not 100% movie accurate. It's about prop collecting, and generating the interest in the hobby, not about putting down others who don't have the original screen worn helmet. Have fun.

TazMan2000

In my opinion the best budget helmet I've seen (and own) is a Darth Ugly. And it's only "budget" in price---quality is OUTSTANDING. Do a junkyard search. Also the makers are offering "Quasimodo", a slightly higher-end Vader helmet that is really really nice. But if you are budget conscious, "Ugly" is your best bet IMO.

I appreciate the recommendation, but if I may point out, Quadimodo V2 is significantly different than Darth Ugly as a fan sculpt. Much more effort was put into it such that people who need more than a casual resemblance of Vader would perhaps find it more their cup of tea. :)

Its not a bad budget Vader option. Of course the Darth ugly is a better helmet but $450 isn't "budget" for everybody. Rubies did a decent job on Vader with the price. I don't like rubies as much as the next guy. I can say rubies Boba Fett is complete garbage but for under $400 they did ok with Darth

An unpainted kit is $350 + S&H but, agreed, this is out of some people's price range too. But perhaps the availability of a kit provides an easier alternative to milling and carving out tough plastic.

I appreciate the recommendation, but if I may point out, Quadimodo V2 is significantly different than Darth Ugly as a fan sculpt. Much more effort was put into it such that people who need more than a casual resemblance of Vader would perhaps find it more their cup of tea. :)

I saw the Quasimodo and I bet that Zoolander would like it, because it is really really really good looking, but unfortunately I've decided to go with the ROTS Vader, so it wouldn't be my best option.

BTW, I found a Rubies for $415 and free shipping on ebay, so I think that I'll order that one, since I'll probably end up paying around $750 due to local taxes. Also, I printed the pieces for the pepakura helmet, but I haven't had much time to start building it. I'm not sure how the scale is gong to be, because it seems kinda big

Last edited:
I'm not concerned that you didn't go for Quasimodo. Please don't misunderstand me, as I'm not trying to make a helmet sale or anything.

Is the $415 for the helmet or the entire suit? Usually the plastic helmet fetches between US$85-95. A full suit at $415 is a great deal.

I'm not concerned that you didn't go for Quasimodo. Please don't misunderstand me, as I'm not trying to make a helmet sale or anything.

Is the $415 for the helmet or the entire suit? Usually the plastic helmet fetches between US$85-95. A full suit at $415 is a great deal.

$415 for the entire suit. That's the cheapest one I found, at least new. There a few used ones, but the free shipping is a big deal for me

If you have never hold a Darth Vader helmet in your own hands ... you're in for a surprise ... it's big or should I say huge ... and since you want to make one yourself with a paper template ... big is a good start. If you suspect that the 'cheap' Rubies costume is gonna cost you $750 in the end due to customs ... I'll advice you to check out Fenix Props on ebay first and see what they offer for a complete costume (only softparts) ... since they are located in Argentina .... customs and shipping might be far less and you'll have plenty left to buy and collect the other hard parts needed. So I kindly urge you to be a little more patient when it comes to recreating Darth Vader as do the guys at SLD ;)

Chaim

If you have never hold a Darth Vader helmet in your own hands ... you're in for a surprise ... it's big or should I say huge ... and since you want to make one yourself with a paper template ... big is a good start. If you suspect that the 'cheap' Rubies costume is gonna cost you $750 in the end due to customs ... I'll advice you to check out Fenix Props on ebay first and see what they offer for a complete costume (only softparts) ... since they are located in Argentina .... customs and shipping might be far less and you'll have plenty left to buy and collect the other hard parts needed. So I kindly urge you to be a little more patient when it comes to recreating Darth Vader as do the guys at SLD ;)

Chaim

A couple of years ago I had a Rubies deluxe (the one that comes with the complete costume) and it is big, but the pepakura one seems bigger, at least the dome.

Again, The $750 is including local taxes, which means that is the final price that I'll pay once it gets to me. I already checked the Fenix props and only the undersuit costs $200 which means that I'll en up paying around $380, ONLY for the undersuit (plus taxes and shipping) which is way too much, since I'll also need the cape, robe, chest armor, and all the rest.

Indeed local custom taxes are always lurking from the dark side when living abroad ... it's not funny whatsoever. Well since you already owned a Rubies Deluxe you know what you will receive ... so no buyers remorse from you I suppose . . . looking forward to your work in progress :)

Chaim

Indeed local custom taxes are always lurking from the dark side when living abroad ... it's not funny whatsoever. Well since you already owned a Rubies Deluxe you know what you will receive ... so no buyers remorse from you I suppose . . . looking forward to your work in progress :)

Chaim

I don't like it that much, but for the money is probably the best thing that I can get, plus, $450 for the whole suit is kinda cool

So, I just noticed on eBay (did a search for rubies supreme Vader) that someone has a Rubies they are selling and they've done some nice upgrades. They repainted the helmet and replaced those awful stock lenses. They are also throwing in what appears to be a Porty ROTJ chest box, buckle and belt boxes. Price listed was about $450 USD. My two cents is that a Rubies is utter garbage. No one in the 501st has even tried to mod one for acceptance in years. It's just not worth the effort now that newer more accurate and available parts are in the market. I see and understand that you are on a tight budget and it just doesn't sound like 501st approval is something you're after so I think this kit at least can address some of the major issues with the Rubies.

I think what he is selling would get you pretty close to a ROTJ Vader.

If you have the skills,you can upgrade a lot yourself.I think the one on ebay with the painted helmet is not a bad offer for 450$.

Thanks for the info. I checked the one on ebay and it really has a lot of upgrades. The bad thing is it isn't a "buy it now" product and the price is getting a little bit high.

Thanks for the info. I checked the one on ebay and it really has a lot of upgrades. The bad thing is it isn't a "buy it now" product and the price is getting a little bit high.

Too bad. The porty parts by themselves are over $450 new. Good luck on the hunt!

Sent from the Death Star

I know how you guys feel about Rubies but I bought a used supreme/deluxe helmet and plan to modify it. I am aiming for ROTJ and if someone here could give me a list of the most important changes I need to make.....like the ridge over the dome for instance...... Keep in mind that I am not a perfectionist.

At a bare minimum, I'd consider the eyebrows, the nose notches, the removal of the silver "U" shaped plastic out of the nose and then thickening the nose, then thickening the right mouth wall, and lengthening the teeth but making sure they end squarish and not circular. Then replace the mesh and you may be okay. Again, that's bare minimum.

And then a little paint done right will fool some people! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back