Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

Nice find there! That one step shroud looks like it may be a Laszlo, who I believe was one of the first if not THE first to discover the Vader saber utilized the MPP flash as it’s base. It would help to have someone else confirm though.

Poikilotherm reached out to me and I adviced him to post the inquiry here ... he also included this next picture in our PM discussion :

274105191_4964896416924645_6600313925591356242_n.png

IronDestinyProps is Laslo the same as Larbel? I have a Larbel MPP and the shape of that shroud is close but different from the side :

Larbel MPP - 03.jpg

The outer edge of this one step shroud posted by Poikilotherm is slightly thicker and the thumb screw hole is off-set to the left instead of the usual right ... other holes i.e. for the reflector are all wonky, for lack of a better word, which is consistent with all genuine MPP's I have seen sofar.

So I too call upon other learned members to take a look and enlighten us.

Chaïm

IronDestinyProps is Laslo the same as Larbel? I have a Larbel MPP and the shape of that shroud is close but different from the side :
Sym-Cha, I don't believe they are the same. According to the following link (Star Wars Darth Vader The Empire Strikes Back Lightsaber Larbel Esb Mpp Flash), Larry Larbel was one of the first lightsaber manufacturers in the 90s. The shroud in the link does not seem to bear the same heavy wrinkle texture that Poikilotherm's does. I believe laszlo is an independent, and perhaps he can shed some light on this mystery. :)

Last edited:
Was this purchased from a Star Wars collector? Why would a real MPP shroud have a d ring installed otherwise? Still a cool find, but the fact that the shroud came that way would suggest to me that its a replica.

Was this purchased from a Star Wars collector? Why would a real MPP shroud have a d ring installed otherwise? Still a cool find, but the fact that the shroud came that way would suggest to me that its a replica.
Yes, I still believe the seller may be a member of the RPF community, and on the day of the MPP auction, the seller also sold part of his Graflex. The 1 Step Shroud was already a complete ESB Lightsaber, but the seller only sold one. My listing only indicated that I had bought one MPP flash, including a 2 Step Shroud. When I opened the package, 1 Step shroud also appears here. Along with 2 copies of Roy's Vader Lightsaber blueprints.:D

Apparently, the seller removed the 1 Step Shroud from his other MPP and gave it to me as a gift. However, the authenticity of 1 Step Shroud is not known at present, since the D ring hole on 1 Step Shroud is about to break. And D ring hole is skewed, which has to make people think that this hole is manually processed by the seller.
274105191_4964896416924645_6600313925591356242_n.png

274591884_901940033815724_6814990072296523255_n.jpg

View attachment 1554065

Last edited:
This sharp angle, see here mirrored with my real MPP, is why I tend to believe it could be a genuine MPP one step shroud :

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-09 om 16.48.03.png

Larbel and even Master Replicas are more curved ... here's a 2002 Master Replicas ANH Signature Edition :

mr-vaderanhsig13.jpg

What makes me hesistant to conclude it is genuine is the slightly thicker and evenly sized edge :

2648D3A6-08E8-4D2F-8FE6-40DABA14AF1D.jpeg

which I have never seen in a real one step MPP shroud before, yet Larbel and Master Replicas are quite similar when it comes to a thicker edge.

Chaïm

The wrinkle paint looks very differently on the single step in structure and the way it reflects light compared to the 2-step.

1646844204006.png

I'm really not an expert on MPPs, but the 2 step shroud wrinkle paint is much more consistent with the paint of the genuine 1 step shrouds I see posted here

The thumbscrew though looks very familiar - I think it is from a vintage Heiland flash 2-step shroud.

Compared to the replica shrouds that I have:
My Larbel shroud is little different in shape, very different in paint and it is heavy so I guess it is not made from aluminum.
Roy's shrouds are also different shape and in particular much thinner tip (maybe too thin compared to the real ones??) so it is not that either.

Last edited:
The thumbscrew though looks very familiar - I think it is from a vintage Heiland flash 2-step shroud.
I tried to screw the Heiland Thumb screw knob into the 2 step shroud earlier, but the Heiland thumb screw is larger than the two thumb screw rods:unsure:, so it couldn't be screwed in.

Last edited:
Take a look at the paintjob on the MPP shroud of Scruffylooking :

955EB495-228A-4D92-B95F-6C7BA3524562.jpeg

517065FC-8BCC-4163-929F-BCA8FD99187A.jpeg

Another thing I questioned ... since the seller added blueprints of wannawanga inside the package ... why would he gift a one step shroud taken from another real MPP? ... If the seller was a member here he could have been aware of the current value of a real MPP ... even for a two-step shrouded MPP.

This purchase remains an enigma ... calling upon teecrooz, James Kenobi 1138, Edraven99, juajn7fernandez, scottjua, kurtyboy and other members to shed some light on the shroud of this saber.

Chaïm

So the main tell is inner "lip".

Most replica shrouds like Roy's have the lip where the flash body is supposed to stop facing the back of the shroud where you insert the flashgun or is missing this lip entirely. On a real vintage shroud, the lip is on the front of the shroud - so the shroud itself becomes thinner past this point.

The other tell is - at least on both of my shrouds - is that there are casting imperfections; small pockmarks in a couple of places. And of course both shrouds are asymmetric: the back curves on either side are different, one side is slightly sharper and the other side more rounded; the thumbscrew base is slightly wider on one side than the other at the base, etc.

Here are both of mine (excuse the crappy iPhone pics)

DB230B91-7846-4920-8B2A-646C6639B3EA.jpeg

D0C0EEB0-F2B0-4BC1-86A8-DB19DB0ED766.jpeg

630F9F9A-3EED-41C0-BC63-763CCC6E178F.jpeg

724995F3-77A3-401F-9372-1EDE6A135588.jpeg

I will say that the paint on the shroud doesn't quite look right. I tried to show in that last pick that there are visible patterns; waves and lines on the vintage shrouds.

Also the inner paint work looks too "clean". All of my shrouds both one-step and two-step have paint overspray in the back and where the lip is on the single-steps.

This doesn't mean anything as it could have been repainted... but that's a lot of effort to replicate the wrinkle paint.

Thanks Edraven99 ... so if I interpret that inner lip tell correctly ... what is this I see in the pictures from the previous page :

2022-03-09 004023.jpg

2022-03-09 004157.jpg

2022-03-09 040459.jpg

Excuse me for the large size pictures posted by Poikilotherm ... I did not want to resize them and maybe loose important details.

Chaïm

Take a look at the paintjob on the MPP shroud of ScruffylookAnother thing I questioned ... since the seller added blueprints of wannawanga inside the package ... why would he gift a one step shroud taken from another real MPP? ... If the seller was a member here he could have been aware of the current value of a real MPP ... even for a two-step shrouded MPP.

The seller's introduction includes a sentence like this: MPP is very rare now, even in the overseas auction market, MPP is very difficult to appear, so I think there are few opportunities to buy it.

So the main tell is inner "lip".

Most replica shrouds like Roy's have the lip where the flash body is supposed to stop facing the back of the shroud where you insert the flashgun or is missing this lip entirely. On a real vintage shroud, the lip is on the front of the shroud - so the shroud itself becomes thinner past this point.

It starts at the arrow and gets thinner and thinner up.

20220310095349.png

Last edited:
I will say that the paint on the shroud doesn't quite look right. I tried to show in that last pick that there are visible patterns; waves and lines on the vintage shrouds.

Also the inner paint work looks too "clean". All of my shrouds both one-step and two-step have paint overspray in the back and where the lip is on the single-steps.

This doesn't mean anything as it could have been repainted... but that's a lot of effort to replicate the wrinkle paint.
“I tried to show in that last pick that there are visible patterns; waves and lines on the vintage shrouds.”

That’s it, that’s the tell right there for me. I zoomed in on Poikilotherm, Edraven’s and my shroud, and you can see the differences.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back