Vader MPP lightsabers details and specifications

Dewy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I see that Romans Empire now sells both a “long knurl” and a “short knurl” version of his MPP end caps. Looking at my reference photos it looks like maybe the ESB/ROTJ prop had the short knurl, while the ANH had a longer knurl, but it’s pretty hard to tell. Has this been discussed before? Are my observations correct?

cdyoung

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I see that Romans Empire now sells both a “long knurl” and a “short knurl” version of his MPP end caps. Looking at my reference photos it looks like maybe the ESB/ROTJ prop had the short knurl, while the ANH had a longer knurl, but it’s pretty hard to tell. Has this been discussed before? Are my observations correct?
Great question, Dewy. I think Romans Empire only recently began offering both versions. Perhaps, he can shed some further light on the project or the knurling difference between the screen-used versions of Vader's hilt.

Last edited:

Scruffylooking

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’ve wanted a definite answer on this too. Here’s a pic of my vintage end cap from my silver bars, one step and large B port MPP. Everything else matches to the ANH V1 except for the short knurling.

Attachments

• 0026B67F-BF4B-4810-8710-3B940E4B8BFA.jpeg
    0026B67F-BF4B-4810-8710-3B940E4B8BFA.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Romans Empire

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys,

The Long Knurl was from my first MPP run, which you can see by Scruffylooking pic above is accurate to a Vintage.

However, Nate from IronDestinyProps discussed some of his research noting that the short knurl was more accurate to the screen used prop. Both long & short are accurate to a Vintage, but the the short seems to be more screen accurate. Perhaps Nate can chime in?

EDIT: BTW, the Long Knurl is now sold out.

BlandoCalrssian

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
That’s great. Just awesome. Yet another variant to add to the mix. Good lucking finding an original MPP with a single step shroud, large B port, square sidebars and now short knurling. Indiana Jones himself would have a hard time with that, and even then it would probably be hiding inside the Ark of the Covenant.

corliss1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
While we're all pondering these parts, do we know what cameras these would have been paired with back in the day? I'm sure there were multiple models, but I'm not finding a great list.

Scruffylooking

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
While we're all pondering these parts, do we know what cameras these would have been paired with back in the day? I'm sure there were multiple models, but I'm not finding a great list.
This is quite a nice book on the whole MPP story and has a couple of pics of the flash inside. Can be picked up quite regularly and reasonably priced.
9E977D66-99A8-409B-9CBD-4B978006FB7B.jpeg

corliss1

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeah, I've got a neat little Graflex display so just wondering if there was a certain MPP model that would be appropriate if I wanted to put something together. Thanks all!

intwenothor

MPP specifically designed them for use with their own cameras. If you have the Skinner book, per post 773, you'll find the information on page 92. They were introduced in 1954.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.