VADER EXPERTS

That is a good point.

If they are so convinced of its lineage then why are there no pictures
as good and detailed as the treadwell droid which they have?

<div class='quotetop'>(Boba Frett @ Jun 21 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]1265545[/snapback]</div>
Is there any way of getting better pics from Elstree?
It's hard to make judgements from just one small pic.
[/b]

I'm not sure they will be willing to help out with anymore pics. I sent this email to them:

Hello,

I am in awe that you have an original Vader ANH helmet. I didn't believe one existed
outside of the Lucasfilm archives. There has been a debate for some time about the
tabs on top of the faceplate. Would it be possible for you to take a closeup picture
of the tabs and either email it to me or post it on your website?

Thanks,

Pete

And this was Paul's reply (apparently Paul's dad is the person who owns that helmet):

Hi Peter, George hasn't got one from anh :) problem is, we know what the tabs are,
and noone else does. If we release pics and details, people will make fakes and
try to pass them off as real, which will devalue dads. He'd never sell it though,
but its kept in the bank, safer.

Well this Paul guy from Elstree saying that the helmet is not ANH makes this quote from their website seem a bit silly "Note the bits on top, only ORIGINALÂ’s have these fitted, anything moulded is a copy or fake." since the ESB helmets have the dome tabs included in the castings.

Vadermania, was it an ANH dome?

<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Jun 22 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]1265730[/snapback]</div>
Well this Paul guy from Elstree saying that the helmet is not ANH makes this quote from their website seem a bit silly "Note the bits on top, only ORIGINALÂ’s have these fitted, anything moulded is a copy or fake." since the ESB helmets have the dome tabs included in the castings.

[/b]

I don't think Paul's saying their Elstree prop isn't from ANH, when he says George hasn't got one I think he means Lucas hasn't got one.

Jeremy

Yes it was. I've seen those pics even before Paul posted the one on his webpage.

<div class='quotetop'>(RKW @ Jun 22 2006, 08:58 AM) [snapback]1265730[/snapback]</div>

[/b]

Supposing, just supposing this was legit...

It could only be the 2nd finished helmet for ANH.
There's far too much documentation about the 'hero' piece ending
up in the U.S.

That or a tour.

to quote a certain Jedi:
"there's something else behind all this"

I don't believe that there is anyone in this galaxy who can tell you exactly (and proof) how many Vader helmets were produced for ANH. Prowse writes is his new book about the changing of the eyelenses from grey to amber. Maybe this is one of the first masks they used at the beginning of the shoot...

<div class='quotetop'>(HAL9000 @ Jun 22 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1265735[/snapback]</div>

up in the U.S.

That or a tour.

to quote a certain Jedi:
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(vadermania @ Jun 22 2006, 05:49 AM) [snapback]1265742[/snapback]</div>
I don't believe that there is anyone in this galaxy who can tell you exactly (and proof) how many Vader helmets were produced for ANH. Prowse writes is his new book about the changing of the eyelenses from grey to amber. Maybe this is one of the first masks they used at the beginning of the shoot...
[/b]

Three original helmets were made. That's it.

Ask Elstree where that mask came from.

My guess at this point is that it is a casting from an ESB that's been modified. I have a larger image of this mask and the tubes are shaped more like ESB than ANH....but again it doesn't matter what the image shows. If the story keeps changing about where this mask came from, and each story is not based in fact, then there's no basis for this mask being original.

Those are good points, furthermore I recall reading somewhere that it wasn't unusual for a few copies to sneak out the back door as souvenirs in addition to those made purely for the production (I thought it was in the Brian Muir interview over at Jez's site but I just looked and didn't see it). So it potentially could have been cast from the original mold at the time of production. More pics and a cheek point-to-cheek point measurement would be heavenly.

Cheers,

Dave C

<div class='quotetop'>(vadermania @ Jun 22 2006, 03:49 AM) [snapback]1265742[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>(HAL9000 @ Jun 22 2006, 09:13 AM) [snapback]1265735[/snapback]

up in the U.S.

That or a tour.

to quote a certain Jedi:
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I'd be very cautious about just buying this story as it has changed quite often from the same source. There is definitely something "off" about it and that is about as far as I'm willing to venture on that subject. Without holding the thing in hand, you'd never really know what is what. I'm quite sure the owners aren't willing to allow close examination either. Not knocking that decision, but it's without a doubt needed to prove any originality of the piece. For all we know, Don Post Studios sculpted an all new helmet based off the original helmet sculpt and it eventually evolved into the DP Standard vader (tiny baby sized helmet) we all knew and loved back in the 80's. Who is to say that one of the helmets in that production process wasn't used and discarded or had stolen from DPS??? It's so hard to tell without better photos and consistent documentation to make any definitive conclusions about this helmet. That is only my opinion of course.

Peace,

Dave :)

<div class='quotetop'>(dcarty @ Jun 22 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]1265975[/snapback]</div>
Those are good points, furthermore I recall reading somewhere that it wasn't unusual for a few copies to sneak out the back door as souvenirs in addition to those made purely for the production (I thought it was in the Brian Muir interview over at Jez's site but I just looked and didn't see it). So it potentially could have been cast from the original mold at the time of production. More pics and a cheek point-to-cheek point measurement would be heavenly.

Cheers,

Dave C
[/b]

Although it's definitely possible copies of the originals were made and snuck out the door, Elstree is claiming this is an original from the original source and that it's from the original mold...implicit when they say it's an original, which it is not. This mask did not come from the original mold. It might be a copy of an original, however. But there are real tabs on it (if in fact they are original tabs, which can be confirmed upon closer inspection).

<div class='quotetop'></div>
This mask did not come from the original mold.[/b]

Once again....Where is your proof?

If it comes down to a credibilty issue, I'd have to say I'm leaning way towards Elstree's claims.

Joe

<div class='quotetop'>(syborwolf @ Jun 22 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]1266047[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>
This mask did not come from the original mold.[/b]

Once again....Where is your proof?

If it comes down to a credibilty issue, I'd have to say I'm leaning way towards Elstree's claims.

Joe
[/b][/quote]

I'm not making any claims. I'm stating facts.

You want proof? Ask Esltree studios where that mask (or helmet) came from. Then we'll talk some more....it already has gone further than Elstree. They are not the final word on what is an original prop or not.

What does everyone think of these? :confused
PICT0026c.jpg

PICT0027c.jpg

153083148solo.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back