Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - FINISHED PICS!!! Page 4

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - More Armor Work Pag

Spectacular! (I even love the gold arms!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! Yeah, this is normally my Iron Man dummy so the gold duct tape shows through the gaps and makes it look a little nicer. Not sure Doom would approve of the Gold? He seems pretty stuck on the Green and Silver thing!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - More Armor Work Pag

They say if you are cold you should dress in layers. The mask seemed cold so I put four layers of Mold Max Stroke silicone on!

015 (2).JPG 016 (3).JPG 017 (2).JPG 018 (2).JPG

Next up, making the support jacket once the layers fully cure (16-24 hours). It's like watching paint dry....

Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - More Armor Work...

That's interesting and all, but what about that awesome Scooby Doo bucket!!!!

Thanks for the step by step photos. Who knows how many future makers this thread will help!

Also, how did you support the mask/helmet internally during the molding process?

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - More Armor Work...

That's interesting and all, but what about that awesome Scooby Doo bucket!!!!

Thanks for the step by step photos. Who knows how many future makers this thread will help!

Also, how did you support the mask/helmet internally during the molding process?

Ha! Yes the Scooby Doo bucket was borrowed from my 5 year olds collection of little buckets. When he saw me using it he said, "Hey, that's my bucket! But you can use it as long as you don't break it.". :lol The good news is that the silicone just pulls right out once it's cured! So he got his bucket back!!!

After letting the silicone cure I made an old fashioned two piece jacket with plaster gauze and pottery plaster. Works great for indoor builds as there is no smell, unlike fiberglass.

016 (4).JPG 017 (3).JPG

Once the jacket cured overnight I pulled it apart. I came apart very nicely and you can see the high tech support method (EVA Foam) I used to seal the eyes and mouth as well as build it up high enough to make a good lip.

018 (3).JPG

The mold came out nice and with a few small tweeks it will be ready for the first cast. It had a few bubbles so I am not sure if I like the Rebound or the Stroke better for the print layer. But it should turn out just fine.

019.JPG 020.JPG

I will let everything sit apart for a few more hours to make sure there are no uncured parts. Then later today I will try a few casts to see how they turn out! Stay tuned!

Are you planning on selling any of the test casts?

Excellent work!

Are you planning on selling any of the test casts?

I will, most likely, sell a few casts. I am not planning a run or anything like that. Just a few here and there.

Here, for example. [emoji6]

/\ Yes....of course, there!

All Right!!! I was finally able to get the masks cast! I did the first cast in Smooth Cast 300 and tinted it blue to see the layers better against the white silicone.

016 (5).JPG 017 (4).JPG 015 (3).JPG

I then did a second cast (for the client) in Smooth Cast Onyx.

018 (4).JPG 020 (2).JPG

Brothers - "Blue Boy" and "Blackie"!

021.JPG

I trimmed up the Onyx and started the prep to get ready for painting. We are close....so very, very close!

022 (2).JPG

Next up...Paint!

Really cool!

Excellent. I am super excited to see this painted up and weathered.

Whew! Friday was a busy day! The client I am building the costume for had a contact that allowed us to use his automotive spray booth for the day. We started out early and hung each of the pieces on wire and prepped everything for the first layer. We started with a base coat of gloss black.

026 (2).JPG 028 (2).JPG

We ended up a little short on black paint and had to run back into town to pick up a couple more cans. After a few more coats we took a break for lunch. When we came back we added several thin layers of Satin Nickel. The allows some of the back to still show but keeps the metallic sheen. I think it turned out great!

035.JPG 034.JPG

Here is the mask!

040.JPG 043.JPG

I have let the pieces cure over the weekend and on Monday I will get back to assembling the pieces and adding the details. A few places will need to be touched up and the chest rondels will need a coat of gold paint. Almost there!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - Armor Paint Up Page

Beautiful! Getting close, now!

Re: Vacuum/Thermoformed Plastic Dr. DOOM Costume/Armor/and Mask - Armor Paint Up Page

Trying out the fabric insert to cover the inner elbow. I will spray this fabric with the same satin nickel color I used on the armor to help it blend in a little more.

018 (5).JPG 016 (6).JPG 019 (3).JPG

Here is one of the "chain mail" pieces painted on the right next to one unpainted on the left.

015 (4).JPG

I also finished the gorget, wrapped in the painted piece of the fabric. Just a little bit of this will stick out above the tunic and below the mask but I wrapped the whole thing just in case.

016 (7).JPG

Amazingly, I bought a couple of yards of that exact fabric on clearance a year or so ago thinking I might use it someday for chain mail on a high school theater costume. Fate!

Amazingly, I bought a couple of yards of that exact fabric on clearance a year or so ago thinking I might use it someday for chain mail on a high school theater costume. Fate!

Ha! Yeah, old theater trick, fabric for chain mail. I have used old knit sweaters too, but this is nice and lightweight to keep the wearer as cool as possible.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back