USS ENTERPRISE 11 FOOT 3D PRINTED MODEL

I have an Anycubic Kobra 2 Max (all of my FDM and resin printers are Anycubic) and haven't had any issues with it at all. Other than they're often too small for the type of things I'm trying to print. The Kobra 2 Max is 420mm^3 which covers most of what I do, but I would have really rather it was 550mm^3.

At the Giga size you could allllmooostt print a full sized 2' ESB Falcon in a single print.

I have an Anycubic Kobra 2 Max (all of my FDM and resin printers are Anycubic) and haven't had any issues with it at all. Other than they're often too small for the type of things I'm trying to print. The Kobra 2 Max is 420mm^3 which covers most of what I do, but I would have really rather it was 550mm^3.

At the Giga size you could allllmooostt print a full sized 2' ESB Falcon in a single print.
The falcon is smaller but it is a vastly bigger project, lots more detail!

If I was going to go down that path, I think I would be looking to use the Giga to build an armature and then skin it with resin printed panels. It took some time but I also have an EMake 3D Galaxy which has a resin build volume of 200x400x400.

So would probably be looking to find other people interested in same and trading time on the printer for developing the STLS.

OK so I have finished printing all the parts...it didn't actually take that long but I had to wait to clear my workshop before laying this puppy out. I too am waiting on the Elegoo Giga...should get mine in April, apparently.
The Saucer is cut into 16 parts. 4 per quarter, to fit on my Neptune 4 Max...on the Giga it could be printed in 4 quarters! I have welded the saucer in 2 halves and will add the lighting, window glass etc and install the armature before joining them together. There is a tiny bit of warping and a few filament run-outs during the printing, but it went together pretty smoothly

gtVhLATl.jpg
5l6wmE9l.jpg

Love this Star Trek 11ft. Model. Wonderful subject to recreate and for generations of folks to appreciate. Certainly the quality of its build will rival that of the original given the talent of individual involved.

Those parts look incredible!

I can imagine that the STL file must be pretty dense to create such a smooth outer edge of the saucer at that scale without faceting.

Can't wait to see more!

E
I prefer to use fairly hi-poly when printing large, particularly anything with curves...also means less filler, and less weight, to smooth all the faces.
Got the Nacelles and secondary hull glued up and added the diffuse acetate for the windows

bKX0I3Rl.jpg

Were the balls on the back end of the warp engines that far out? I may have gotten a little to used to injection molded plastic model kits. I just looked and you got them very close.

Last edited:
I prefer to use fairly hi-poly when printing large, particularly anything with curves...also means less filler, and less weight, to smooth all the faces.
Got the Nacelles and secondary hull glued up and added the diffuse acetate for the windows

View attachment 1790532
I agree 100%. The denser the mesh, the smoother the curved surfaces, and the less finishing work is required. I wish more 3D modelers shared your perspective!

E

I don't use 3D printing but I've been doing CGI since the 1980s, and I expect previewing any polygon-based output mesh in whatever 3D software you use with smooth shading switched off, and as flat shaded only, would give a pretty good idea of how faceted your print could turn out.

OK found a bit of time to play with this...I've decided to glass the outside of the saucer, which will make it heavier but needs doing, I think. At 100% infill, the plastic tends to curl a little at the edges, as it cools, off the bed...probably warp factor 1 :p so I'm resigned to making it strong and durable. At least the saucer is now in one piece and I can think about inserting the armature...I'm gonna use aluminium extrusion mostly...I have a load from old Creality printers that have died so it should be light and rigid enough to do the job

sgZY7H6l.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back