UPDATE* BOUGHT IT -So I've been offered an old movie theatre built in the late 30s

Jet Beetle

Sr Member
Gone but not forgotten.
I'm a sucker for old movie theaters - a fool for them, so when I got a call from a friend of mine that he knew of one up for sale I had to go check it out.
The place is not in running order and it would take a pretty penny to get it there, but what kept my interest as a buyer is the fact that most of the original architecture is still there - be it painted over or even in some cases boarded over, the grandeur lies beneath some sweat and elbow grease.
While there, we discovered an office behind the main stage and screen - i say discovered because there were cabinets built over the entrance. The owner helped up pull them down and we walked into a room that has not been used since the seventies - we know this because there were posters on the wall (Hot Lead and Cold Feet, If Ever I See You Again and You light Up My Life) and log books showing the upcoming movies, one of them being Superman. i haven't dug through that room yet, but believe me - even if I don't buy it, I plan on asking. There's also an underworld beneath the stage filled with boxes - two I know are old refreshment articles - popcorn boxes and cups, but there's at least 15 more down there I want to get a peek into. The balcony is in pretty good shape - still fitted with ASH TRAYS (I thought smoking in the theatre was always a no no). And an outdoor deck that would be perfect for lawn chairs and a bar b q pit - originally built for intermission.
The price is not the problem - it's what to do with the thing if I DO purchase it. It's always been a dream of mine to restore one of these places to it's full glory and show old movies - all the way up to the 80's, running double features like Indiana Jones, Superman, the Godfather and maybe a Kubrick night or Citizen Kane and Magnificent Ambersons - not to mention Hitchcock. I have a pretty big collection of prints and I know where I can always get more - I'd even like to do some Anime - or screen some 2 hr pilots from Television. i can't charge for any of this - and wouldn't want to. i just want to the kids of today to see what they missed and maybe get to see some of the stuff I missed on the big screen.

Now, i've already asked and checked with local zoning and YES - I can actually LIVE in the place if I desire - and I absolutely do desire. I'd love to convert part of it into a bedroom and have an arcade and all that jazz - it would honestly be the coolest digs you could ever dream of having. Here's what's holding me back a little -

12 people DIED there in the 50s because of a fire in the balcony. Now, I'm not superstitious per say, but the owner told me repeatedly the place IS HAUNTED. They actually had a team of "ghosthunters" out there who filmed their experiences and it was shown on some television show. They picked up EVP of someone saying "You don't belong here" and "Please, let me go". They captured some faces on film and using infra red caught doors opening and closing a well as what looks like someone walking back and fourth in the projection room. He showed me some of the photos and said the man he bought the place from also would attest to the ghostly activity, also claiming the place was closed because everytime they ran a film for an audience there were shadows on the screen and sometimes the movie would start to run backwards. :eek

He's had six people look at the place and four backed out when they found out about the deaths. I have no idea what to do here. i love this joint, but as i said I plan on living here sometimes when my family and i are in Texas. -

Advice Advice Advice.

BTW - This theatre was also once visited by Elvis in the early seventies - they closed it off to the public for a few hours while he and his crew watched a movie. He was in town to do a show and the place was owned by the same man who owned the concert hall he was to be performing in.

Last edited:
Re: So I've been offered an old movie theatre built in the late 30s

This is very cool. American pickers would have a field day in the office and all those boxes. I love old theaters too. The one we had was in a plaza yet was full of architecture and stuff you just don't see. I saw tons of movies in the 80s there.

I would make the projection room my bedroom! If it were sizeable enough, and I would list fake movie titles on the marquee! BUY IT!!!!!

That's interesting about the haunted side of it. It does seem like a good prospect though. I say go for it.

dibs if you pass.

That is everything I've ever wanted in life.

My own haunted movie theater. ::sighs::

I am jealous, you'd be a fool not to get it.

The sad thing is if someone doesn't buy it the thing will go to a person who will just tear it down and put up something bland.

Buy it and show Ghostbusters for the grand opening, let those ghosts know who's the boss now.

This place sounds like a treasure trove of character. You have the history of Elvis having visited there, the old look of the theater, the antique-ness of the whole thing, and also the mystery of haunts and history of the deaths associated with the structure. I'd say this should not deter you one iota in the notion of buying it but instead should enhance the very reasons to indeed purchase it. These are all assets--hauntings, Elvis, nostalgia--that you can use not only for a monetary benefit but also for added appreciation to having such a unique and unusual project that is ubiquitous to the whole nature of this building. It's not a plain Jane prospect but instead an opportunity to acquire something colorful and historical. I say go for it if it's your dream to do this venture. If the price is no object, then you'd probably be hard-pressed to find another theater with this much intrigue yet alone finding one that is in restorable condition.

Can you post any pictures of it or is there a place to view it online?

Worst case ontario, exorcise the hell out of the place. It sounds like a "you'd be dumb not to" buy.

Doooooooooooo it

Sounds cool, I'd buy one if I could afford it!

I also say go for it! And show us progress Photos as you fix it up! :)

Wow, just wow...I'm no fan of supernatural stuff, but for the history and original features alone, you'd be mad to pass it up. It just sounds incredible, especially with all the hidden rooms which have been dormant for decades.

The sad thing is, as someone else has already said...without you project managing the development...it's history and features may be lost forever. Places like these don't come up very often.

Oh and please keep us updated...and see whether the owner would mind you taking some 'reference photos' so you can post them on here! I'd love to actually see it's current condition and the leftover memorabilia.

Man, nobody on this board is afraid of no ghost!

You guys do make sense - I'm going to click off some pics when I go back to see her again. I talked it over with my family and they are excited to see it - except my son, who has no love for ghosts (he hates zombies even more). But when I told him his game systems would be on a theatre screen he started to forget it was haunted. I'm taking two of my cousins with me the next time I go (they flip houses all the time and have been very successful at it). I want them to crawl around and take a look at the structure and start giving me ballparks on restoration.

One thing is for sure - it'll be a hell of a prop party I throw when all is done.

Looks like should you purchase the theatre, the restoration and subsequent screenings are not a business proposition bit a labour of love.

If money is no object based on your comments, then,the hauntings should not be that much of an issue. After all, if the audience is not paying for the film, they cannot complain about a lack of value. If anything, the hauntings could become a plus, adding to the character of the place.

sounds amazing. seriously. if I lived in texas, i'd volunteer all my free time to come help you restore it. Sadly, I am in Cali. But yeah.. chance of a lifetime for a geek! :) Hope you can get it, and enjoy it! The haunted aspect can only help you with publicity! And don't be afraid to charge. Even keeping it low, like a buck or two, would be a big draw. You could use any money from that to upkeep the theater if you are really not in need of the money. That, or donate it to some film cause or something.

Geez.. that's like my dream.. i'm so jealous!

I don't believe in ghosts, so obviously it wouldn't be an issue for me. And really, even if I did, I'd get over it. Too cool an opportunity not to!

There are no such things as ghosts.

If the movie played backwards there was something wrong with the projector.

The problem is that you obviously believe in ghosts. Regardless of whether they are real or not, this is going to mess with your head the entire time you are there. The mind can be a pretty powerful thing when it comes to anxiety.

Much as I hate to say it, unless you truly stop believing in ghosts (or have some kind of exorcism done as said to satisfy your need that they are "gone"), I would pass.

And it kills me to tell you to pass. :(

Kevin

Go for it! If I were in your shoes I would. The draw there is the novelty of it's history. And you could even do history/ghost tours during the day while there are no movies playing. I'd love to get a tour of an old theater. With everything digital and 3D these days, it would be cool to showcase a restored facility like this.

When I read about the deaths and the fire, the first thing that popped into my mind was this: YouTube - David Bowie - Cat People (putting Out the Fire)

Are you worried about the ghosts or the deaths (from the 50s)? Safety wasn't what it is now. With proper exits and fire/smoke detectors, things should be fine - and you'll have final word on all that stuff.

Ghosts? Heck, make that a part of the advertising! Seriously. "Do you want to go see a regular ol' movie, or would you like to take a chance on something REALLY different?" ;)

Keep us updated, please. I'm interested.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back