Tron: Legacy Quorra helmet build

Re: Tron: Legacy Quorra Helmet

haha, thanks. Yeah, the look is growing on me.
The big tradeoff is that you loose pretty much all peripheral vision (like my original CLU helmet).
I need to prove out the finishing process and then how the matte paint (or plasti-dip) will hold up to normal use and how difficult it will be to clean up if it gets dirty.

Last edited:

In the quest for the purest white el wire, I wanted to see how elwirepros 'super bright' white wire looks. Compared to the coolneon 'high bright' white wire (on the right) that I'm currently using on the Quorra helmets, you can see for yourself.

It appears to me that they are pretty close - maybe coolneon's is a little bit brighter. But I'll stick with coolneon because their two hair-like wires that wrap around the phosphor are evenly spread out. The elwirepros' wires are paired together making them look thicker, and as a result you get this visibly dark line spiraling through the wire. You can actually tell the difference in the picture.

OK - while taking the pictures I really tried to do my best to get the picture to resemble what you actually see. Yes - it does have a slight bluish hue to it. Which is why I'm on this quest to begin with. I took another picture with the white compared to the blue. And for kicks, here's a pink and red - though coolneon's red looks like orange to me. Their pink looks more pink in low light.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a REAL white el wire - I would like to use it! Until then, coolneon seems to be the best.

WARNING: Another boring/minor update - for those interested in the 'concept artwork' version of Quorra.

I did a little test with some flat black and plasti-dip spray. The comparison photo shows the flat on the left, plasti-dip on the right. I was interested in overall look, scratch resistance, and general functionality given that oily or dirty hands will handle it and it still needs to look good.

Overall look - I think I still like the flat black better, but it's really a matter of preference. The flat looks, well flat. The plasti-dip has much more dimension to it - a rubber, but almost leather texture. It's cool in it's own way.

Scratch resistance - the flat came right off with the swipe of a fingernail. The plasti-dip, while it did make a mark, didn't come off. And because of the texture, the scratch didn't show all that much.

General handling - the flat, again because of it's plain look shows everything. And it's very hard to clean up and get that uniform look again. The plasti-dip already has a sort of semi-gloss look, so oil doesn't show up much, and it's much easier to clean up and get it to blend in.

Overall - plasti-dip wins in my book.

Lastly, here's a fun little side-project making an evil Quorra...:angry

WARNING: Another boring/minor update - for those interested in the 'concept artwork' version of Quorra.

I did a little test with some flat black and plasti-dip spray. The comparison photo shows the flat on the left, plasti-dip on the right. I was interested in overall look, scratch resistance, and general functionality given that oily or dirty hands will handle it and it still needs to look good.

Overall look - I think I still like the flat black better, but it's really a matter of preference. The flat looks, well flat. The plasti-dip has much more dimension to it - a rubber, but almost leather texture. It's cool in it's own way.

Scratch resistance - the flat came right off with the swipe of a fingernail. The plasti-dip, while it did make a mark, didn't come off. And because of the texture, the scratch didn't show all that much.

General handling - the flat, again because of it's plain look shows everything. And it's very hard to clean up and get that uniform look again. The plasti-dip already has a sort of semi-gloss look, so oil doesn't show up much, and it's much easier to clean up and get it to blend in.

Overall - plasti-dip wins in my book.

Lastly, here's a fun little side-project making an evil Quorra...:angry

Plasti-Dip rocks, the coating on my helmet and disc hub are still looking good after a few events and much handling :thumbsup

Good luck finding white EL wire, with tape it's: pink off/white on for the pure white. I have a company I use for tape and sheet, I've not bought wire from them yet, but I'll see about getting a sample of their white el wire with my next order
(let me know what gauge you need, i.e 2.5mm, 1.2mm). If its any whiter than what you have found so far, I'll let you know :thumbsup

Last edited:

thanks, Canobi - I use the 2.5mm wire. Coolneon's wire is the same - pink off/white on.

Yeah, it definitely looks like the coolneon wire is the way to go so far!

And yeah, I have to admit that the matted plasti-dip finish alongside the high-gloss visor looks pretty sweet. Tough decision between the partially matted version and the completely high-gloss version on your original helmet...

Thanks guys!

OK - I've finished the concept art version. It's a little more involved, but in the end, it's a cool look. Visibility is still not too bad, but peripheral vision is all but gone. Oh - and it's a PAIN to keep it looking clean! The glossy finish actually hides way more than the satin plasti-dip finish. But, with a microfiber cloth, it cleans up quick.

Very nicely done!

I have to admit that I'm still partial to the glossy finish. But this still looks incredibly awesome!

im sorry. But you sir. Are the man. My goodnesss, this makes me want to throw away my quorra helmet i built for my gf....sigh...

Hahah! Thanks guys.

I'll be posting up pics of a 'Starfighter29 Version' later this week. :) It will have plasti-dip applied to just the chin/jaw line panels.

Oh man, now that looks awesome! Exactly how I hoped it would look...subtle but effective. Thanks so much for the update! Cannot wait to receive this beauty in the mail!

hello I saw your helmets, they are great! I would be interested in two helmets worn Finished LED Quorra and clu. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back