Tron: Legacy Quorra helmet build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Crimson490, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Crimson490

Crimson490 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey Tron-fans out there! I have officially caught the modeling bug. After I finished the CLU helmet, I just couldn't stop thinking about my next project.

Hopefully I can do justice to this very challenging shape, and I hope this thread is enjoyable to those watching the progress.

If you see something that doesn't quite look right - comment! There isn't a lot of reference material to go on, so all help is appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  2. Crimson490

Re: Tron: Legacy Quorra Helmet

The foam model is starting to take shape. it's so easy working with this stuff to rough in the basic form. Its not quite right yet, but the details will get ironed out with the bondo.

Another thing i did, which i did for the CLU helmet, is make a "poor man's" sculpt stand which helps me to work on the helmet hands-free. This comes in really handy when it'll be time to pour the silicon. I like the spray foam can cause it's taller than most spray paint cans - gets the model up off the table better to work underneath. also, the cap let's me swivel the model and it works great for quick release/attach of the sculpt from the stand.

3. Crimson490

Latest update: First 2 coats of bondo and 1st sanding. Still have some tweaking to do on the chin/jaw line, but getting closer!

stay tuned...

4. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic progress so far, really seeing the Quorra shape coming through on the final picture.

Great idea with the 'poor mans' sculpting stand, may have to steal that one, in fact i'll be using a lot of your techniques if and when i come to sculpt a helmet!

5. Crimson490

Thanks! Hope this stuff is helpful.

today's progress:
    more bondo and sanding. i can't keep track of how many coats i've done!
    still ironing out the jaw, and starting to do the rear 'vents'. The cheek looks a little puffy to me...not sure.

Once i get one side of the helmet right, i'll do the other side.

6. Crimson490

slowly making progress...this is a tough shape!
    I'm starting to rough in the side vents. I also took about a half inch off the neck behind the jawline.

I think i need to work on the nose a little. It dents in to far.

7. Crimson490

I've had a really hard time getting the jaw and chin right. Though my original iteration didn't look too bad, it just wasn't quite right. But now i think i'm almost there...I've extended the chin and the back of the head a bit.

i'll refine it a little more, then tackle the other side.

8. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looks good to me so far!

9. Skaar

Skaar Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing!
    I loved your clu helmet and this one doesn't look like it will disappoint

10. Crimson490

Thanks!
    I'm starting to work on the symmetry now...
    First, i'll match up the top surface, then when that's good i'll work my way down the side. It's nice to have definitive edges on the helmet to measure against. The profile gauge is also very helpful at zeroing in on fine differences that my eye can't see, though it is a tedious process. We'll see if it pays off.

11. Primo50

Primo50 New Member

Nice, im a fan of this movie and looks like you are coming out with another great piece

12. Crimson490

Thanks! More progress on the mirrored side:

I'm using the profile tool to capture the shape of the finished side at different locations, then tracing the shapes onto cardboard. The cardboard cutouts are nice for quick reference to show where i need to add or remove material.

The top is about done, and the upper surface on the side is about 70% there.

13. pandamajik

pandamajik Member

I just made a curved helmet as well and struggled a bit with symmetry even though I had a contour gauge. What was your method of getting a really accurate center line and marking those distances? (Actually I guess the numbers you have marked don't have to correlate with distances such as inches if you're just matching the two sides at those points.) I personally had difficulty in assuring that my "center" line was truly on center the entire way and I had to redo some areas as a result of correcting the center line halfway through.

14. Crimson490

Here's a couple ways you can establish a good centerline:

-The quick and dirty way is to use a string and a good eye. This isn't fail-proof though as the line can wander if you're not careful.

-The most accurate way is to cut a hole in a sturdy and flat piece of cardboard, or plywood etc. slightly larger than your helmet. This cardboard is your 'centerplane' which if you can hold it steady with your scuplt generally in the middle, you can trace a line all the way around the helmet. If you don't think you can trace the line accurately enough, make a few dots at various points and then use the string/trace method to connect them. Technically, you only need three points to establish a plane, but a few more might help keep you from letting your string wander too much.

Good luck!

15. Jaedena

Jaedena Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This looks absolutely fantastic! Keep up the good work!

I love that you're showing detailed pics on how you're doing the sculpt. I've been thinking about trying a sculpt myself and this information is going to be very valuable to me.

16. pandamajik

pandamajik Member

Thanks for the info. I used the string method combined with the lines on the inside of the helmet since it was a pep model. I don't know why it never occurred to me to use a piece of cardboard as a sturdier plane but I'll be sure to use that method in the future since it seems a lot better.

17. Crimson490

Quorra Re-rezzing...

Top is done, upper side is done, working now on the lower side/jaw.

I'm also starting to fiddle around with lighting. My plan is to use the ~$25 Glowhut white EL tape (comes with 9v inverter) cut into as many sections as there are lights on the helmet and wire them in series. I count 8 sections...maybe 9. The 1.4m length should be sufficient to do them all.

For now, i plan to use copper tape w/ soldered wire running off them. mcmaster sells 3ft spools of 1/4 wide tape for ~$9. i just wanted to do a sanity check with splicing the tape with the copper. no problem. the laminate peels off the back nicely. the copper sticks, and we have light!

Edit: after a few weeks, the splicing job with just the copper does not hold up, and the connection goes bad. You'll want to use wire glue or piercing connectors.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  18. MOGUAI

MOGUAI New Member

Looking really nice keep on the good work!

19. thenextavenger

thenextavenger New Member

keep up the good work!

20. Crimson490

thank you. i've been pretty swamped recently, but will get back into it asap!

21. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

OMG, That's so awesome, I can't wait to see the final end results and to get one of those.. Nice work sir, very nice work. :)

22. NexusFX

Not really tron related but foam related, im workin on a clone wars bo katan. I made my carboard "skeleton" then added up layers of the foam. I did some minor sculpting in the foam and when i came out in the morning the entire left side pruned up and shrunk in. I lost all the details and alot of the basic shape i had. Have you ever had great stuff shrink on you?

23. Crimson490

hmm. i haven't had that problem, but i have noticed that as it is expanding and setting up, big air bubbles can grow inside. I usually spray and walk away. Maybe you disturbed one of these air pockets while it was still soft, and it caved in on you.

Also, for what it's worth, i have only used the 'window & door' great stuff, which is a low-pressure expandable foam. Not sure if the high-pressure/high-expansion great stuff performs differently...

24. Onephattsi2

Onephattsi2 Well-Known Member

very nice!! your work is amazing to say the least!!!

25. Crimson490

Alright, it's about time i got back to work on this.

Here's a few pics of the finished left side. looks like I need to do a little tweaking here and there to get it identical to the right, and it still needs the rear 'vent' features. I photoshopped some lights, just to give me something to look forward to!

It still needs the raised center details, and lots of smoothing out.

Stay tuned for more progress in the coming week (i hope!).

26. Super8

Super8 New Member

Hey I gotta say this looks awesome crimson and i am officially following your work carefully. I am pretty scared to give the whole Rinzler suit a chance but you inspired me because you have much more talent than I do but I hope to be there one day. I'll try my hardest and you keep doing what your doing.

Nice job :)

~Super8

27. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees New Member

Nice! That is comin out sweet man!

28. Crimson490

Thanks guys. This project has been fun, which is really what motivates me to keep working on it.

Here's a mini-update showing some minor tweaks to improve symmetry, i'm starting to add the vent features on the other side, and i'm beginning to lay out where the finer detailed elements will go.

Last chance for critiques on the shape!

29. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

Look Perfect, Can wait to see the helmet painted and with lights

30. Crimson490

Thanks! me too!

OK - quick update showing progress of the center raised detail. At least i think it's raised in the pictures i've seen. The movie barely shows this detail, and the prop pictures i've seen seem to indicate this detail gets thinner as you go up from the chin to the top. It's probably ~1mm at the top, and ~2mm down by the chin. I might take it down even more.

After making a decent outline on the helmet with a sharpie, i traced it onto paper and cut the shape out. then i traced this shape onto foam with adhesive backing and cut that out. This foam went onto the helmet to create a wall for the bondo to stop against. Once i skimmed on a layer of bondo inside this wall, the foam came off, and then it was easy sanding the new layer down to the desired thickness.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  31. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

thats such a easy and genius way to create the wall from the bondo/filler to go flush against. i made it so difficult for myself during my build using ruddy cardboard and trying to add filler on top to make a similar effect, it was a pain, i'll be stealing your idea for future builds, thank you.

great looking build so far

32. Crimson490

Thanks, and good luck!

Update for today showing the addition of fine details to the jaw and chin sections...

I ended up using small nails with rounded heads for the chin bumps. Then it was just a matter of being reeeealy careful getting the holes drilled in a clean pattern. And with the first coat of gloss black, they seem to fit in well.

33. NexusFX

WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! amazing work dude...stunning

34. strengthof10men

strengthof10men Active Member

beautiful work. it all looks so precise and clean.

35. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I think it looks awesome. What kind of foam do you use that supports the bondo like that? I would love to try it out

36. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Repect ! You have done a perfect job !

37. Crimson490

:cool thanks guys.

I used Great Stuff expandable foam. Specificaly the 'window and door' product, which may or may not matter. It truly is great stuff!

38. NexusFX

i used the red can and i wish it was more compact, im gonna move to the blue cans from now on

39. The Ronin

The Ronin Well-Known Member

Absolutely amazing. I am simply in awe.

40. msldkdk

msldkdk New Member

Looking Trontastic!

41. Crimson490

You guys rock. Thanks for the comments. This has been a fun sculpt. Though sometimes it kicks my butt. I'm trying as best I can to remain patient and methodical, but it's hard not to rush when the end is in sight!

I started smoothing it out more (up to 1000 grit and even polish) and found a bunch of small spots/scratches that will need to be filled. Now I'm working on the details for the lighted areas. Probably should've done those first - again, this is where I tend to rush to the end before I'm really ready.

Gotta still do the rear, top and chin light sections.

42. roblightyeah

roblightyeah New Member

How the hell did you make that with your hands?? completely awesome!! and your techniques of using cardboard and measurements to work out the symmetry, thanks... I'm stealing those for later on :lol

43. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Loving the progress shots too. Well done!

44. InsaneLuck

InsaneLuck Member

That looks amazing

45. Annisse

Annisse Well-Known Member

If you ever need a model for your Quorra helmet.... raises hands! ;) OMG! such good hard work! That looks amazing! I would love to try and achieve this one day! :D

46. Crimson490

Roblightyeah - hehe, feel free, man. That's why I'm putting all this up. I've learned some things here, so I'm just paying it forward with the little tips that I can offer up.

And Annise, that's high praise! pm me what you have in mind.

Again, thanks everyone. I hope to have another mini-update tonight.

47. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How are you craving in your panel grooves. They look nice, even and clean!

Nick

48. Crimson490

Nick, thanks, and they aren't too difficult to do. Forgive me if I'm too wordy.
    - Draw the line onto the sculpt in pencil (so that you can erase your mistakes)
    - Trace over the line(s) you like with a sharpie.
    - With an exacto knife, follow the right side of the sharpie line pulling the knife towards yourself, holding the knife at an angle, and only using the tip. Basically, you're cutting a V-groove.
    - Flip the sculpt around and cut the other side of the line.
    - First pass is a very shallow cut and nice and slow. Should only take 2-3 passes till the cuts meet each other at the V and the material just falls out.
    - Sometimes I'll need to straighten out a wobbly cut - lay the full length of the knife edge flat into the groove and use it's straightness to help you make a straight cut.
    - Fold 220 sandpaper in half and use the V of the paper to clean up the groove.
    - Spraying it a few times with filler primer also helps knock the crispness of the knife cut down a little.

For the mini-update:
    All of the light grooves are cut in except for the two small chin features. After these are in, I think it's just a matter of getting the sculpt glossy and ready for silicon! I feel like I'm forgetting something...

Attached Files:

49. Crimson490

All of the major sculpting is done, and I've been sanding sanding sanding up to 1500 grit, now I'm doing rubbing compound and then polish. So far, only the left side has a mirror finish.

I decided to switch gears on the lighting from an EL tape to EL wire. The curves were just too complex for the tape to bend. But I'm glad I'm using wire - I think it will go together much faster and cleaner than trying to use tape.

The picture below is just the wire sticking in the groove of the sculpt. I'm loving it, except it's looking a little bluish, and in real-life it's not as bright as the picture. I'm using Glowire's ultra-bright white wire on a 9v inverter. Does anyone know if I can find something brighter and whiter? I dunno, maybe it's ok.

50. Rinzler

Rinzler Well-Known Member

Looks great and the EL Wire seems to do a great job!