Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (will resume shortly)

Re: Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (currently on hold)

Hi all

Bout time I gave you guys an update I reckon.

After giving it some considerable thought, I'm going to be partly using the cavity moulding method to make the final production mould as it has advantages over other moulding techniques that I can use. It will differ from most as I don't plan on using clay to cover the disc with first. Instead, I'm going to see if I can make a jacket buck (incliding motor shaft mount) instead. Clay is a little too dependant on sculpting skills of which I only posses a little, and the entire mould needs to be as symmetrical as I can make it if it's going to work.

The idea is I can use the shaft mount hole to line it up dead centre with the disc underneath once the buck is removed. When both both jacket and disc are secured to a removable mid section, I can then fill the void with silicone. The other side I can do like any other two part mould as it won't be spun like the main section.

I think the jacket will have to be fibreglass this time, loath though I am to use it. It's strength and lightwaight characteristics are the only sure way to reduce shake if any small imbalances exist, though a bit of light modding will sort that out should it come to that.

More soon....

Hi all

I found the perfect item to make the plaster buck with this morning at the Sunday market....

1NiGF5d.jpg

... and the company I get my ultracal30 equivalent from sent a customer email saying that the prices have come down, so things are lookin good :D

Hi all

Just been told that the UK Lumilor trainees will be back on British soil in a couple of weeks :thumbsup Looks like January's shaping up to become rather interesting :)

More soon....

Hi guys :)

The new year brings good news so I thought I'd share ;)

I've just spoken to Curt from UK Lumilor and he says he's seen my work and is keen to help out :) He's not long got back though so his shop won't be ready till mid Feb, I think I can wait a couple more weeks.

Considering the advantages sprayed EL has over standared sheet, I've decided to scrap the centrifuge idea and going for a multi part mould instead. It'll still require some thought on its construction, but at least it won't be so criticaly dependand on weight distributuon, and jacket design.

I found another use for the motor anyway, I'm going to use it to upgrade this :thumbsup

K2j45Re.jpg

more soon....

Well folks, not long now till this project starts moving again (hopefully end of next week).

I'm a little gutted the project's been as slow as it has, but I totally believe the wait will be worth it. Every time I drop in to see what Dark Side are getting up to I see new innovations and further possibilities. Things are truly looking up for us Tron cosplayers

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back