Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (will resume shortly)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Canobi, May 11, 2012.

1. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good cycle programs and users, welcome to the Grid :)

It's been a long and frustrating road, but I'm finally at a point I can put this build thread up.

Here is a couple of the exploded views of the plans for how disc one will be put together:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a big let down and some thorough searching for an alternative to get the parts machined

Ta da!

I proudly present the masters for Disc one (pics supplied by factory):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These will be in my hands sometime next week, which should coincide with the RTV silicone I'll be ordering with the remainder of my budget.

I have most of the items I need to make a working prototype once I've cast the top shell and lens, but the holder attachment for the back plate is still being ironed out, so the prototype wont have one (for now).

More soon.....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. USiT

USiT New Member

Re: Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1

caps lock + a + mazing = AMAZING

3. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

4. Canobi

Hey don't knock your work dude, yours look sweet :thumbsup Plus, you still get to play frisbee with your versions. Mine will only ever be a costume prop or display item, too heavy ant too many gubbins in it to be aerodynamic :lol

5. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

Mark me down for one. The masters look awesome. Why didn't MR do this? Waste of the Disney license!

Are you gonna do the legacy hero thrower? Or the back hanger version?

Subscribing.

6. DEVONKNIGHT

DEVONKNIGHT New Member

It's looking good!

7. Canobi

Thanks for the compliment :)

It's a team effort between myself, and two other members, Davlin and TheMuffin.

So far I have 3D files for most of the discs types. My idea was to make them as though you were on the Grid (all lit up in other words) without the real world bits ruining the effect. as such, anything needed (like switches and magnets) will be hidden or "stealthy".

I hadn't considered a throw-able version of the legacy disc, They were going to be back hangers, but I did have durability in mind when designing them. All the shells are 3mm thick, and the blades have a interlocking system they share with the shells (to swap blade types), so I don't see why it couldn't be thrown if there were no electronics inside. The only concern I'd have is with the blade, I personally can't get clear polyurethane rubber in the UK. I've tried several company's but got no reply to any requests or emails, so I might be using a hard resin substitute. That's all in the future though, so I'm hoping I can come up with a solution before I get to them.

8. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

I didnt mean to actually throw...

There were different props in the movie. The back hanger ones didn't have the light Blade.

The one that zuess gives to clu is a thrower minus the blade... You can see inside it... But the normal back hangers only had the center ring.

9. Canobi

:lol got ya :lol

I'm going to make both blade types, battle ready (extended blade), and standby mode (blade retracted). They have been designed to be swapable and will include the data transfer bits so they light up too (they are white on the Spinmaster vesion).

Battle blade
    [​IMG]

Standby
    [​IMG]

Proper CNC'd disc holders for costumes and display units for the discs are also in the pipeline.

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  10. Canobi

Hi all

Going to try xrobots trick and use roto resin for the white bands. I'm making a centrifuge that will spin the top mould (supported to stop deformation) like a potters wheel. I should get nice clean lines, and it'll keep the resin in the band sections. I'm making it adjustable so I can keep it tilted at the correct angle as I do each band. Well that's the plan anyway. Painting the white bands just doesn't sound like a long term solution as there is a chance that it will rub or chip off over time.

11. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

My god... the metal version of it... just... wai a minu e, ha to ge my jaw off he floo . ;)

I'd suscribe to this thread if I wasn't already involved ! Really excited by this metal master. Can't wait to see a lit up version of it. ^_^

12. Canobi

I know, isn't it gorgeous. You should be proud Davlin, you helped make it a reality :thumbsup

Y'know, I keep looking at it and thinking Steampunk Legacy disc.

13. Xenuprime

Xenuprime Member

14. Canobi

Looks very interesting, I'll investigate further. Thanks :)

15. Canobi

Hi all

The parts and silicone arrived today (wooo!). The disc parts are amazing up close and all the details are present, I couldn't be happier with them.

Unfortunately I have to fix the degassing chamber (or replace it with a cost effective alternative that I have lined up just incase), which I shall do on payday. Sorry for the extra wait everyone but funds are extremely tight at the moment.

I will be prepping everything in readiness for then, so as soon as the chamber is fixed or replaced I can get on with things. I'll also aquire a small amount of roto casting resin and enough DSM sinolite (cures with a blue tint) to cast the lens and main body.

*edit for repeated comments* oops:behave

I'll post pics of the process as get to them :thumbsup

More soon.....

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  16. UnholySpectacle

UnholySpectacle New Member

Now that I see the master, I'm super excited. this will be well worth the wait. I can't wait to see the proto.

17. Canobi

Thanks for the kind words everyone:)

I did a test fit with the parts earlier today and it was tight. I didn't want to screw up at this point so didn't push the lens all the way in. Once these are cast and put together, the lens and top shell will be inseperable without glue.

More soon....

18. Canobi

Hi all

I have a couple of things I need to tell you and get your opinions on in regards to the Gibson and legacy discs, but in order to keep this thread on topic I'm going to open the intrest thread back up for discussions about the later discs.

See you there :thumbsup

19. Canobi

Hi all

I have some free time coming up this afternoon so I'm going to see if I can make the mould for the disc body. The info that came with the silicone states that it can be used without a degassing system so I'll get on it. I've just gotta finish the reusable mould box I'm making first and then I can start. I'll take pics or make a vid and post them up.

More soon....

20. Canobi

Hi all (if your still there :confused)

Totaly screwed up the wood for the reusable mould box, so I knocked up a disposable one instead using sintra:

[​IMG]

Going to add some non drying clay to the corners/edges and undercut on the disc, but I gotta go into town in the morning. Once I'm back I'll mix up a batch of silicone and get pouring. I definately don't have enough silicone for both halves or the lens, so I'll order some more on Thursday (payday) along with the resins I'm going to need.

There was me thinking 2kg would be enough, just wish there was some kind of size referance with the pics so it's easier to judge quickly if it's going to be enough. The 2kg kit is a whole lot smaller than it looks on screen damnit :lol

Please check out the interest thread to see some of the things in line for the other discs, thanks :thumbsup

More soon.....

21. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

Silicone... You never have enough of it. :D

So, stop posting and please mold that thing, so we can see the very first prototype ! :)

22. Canobi

Sorry, I can be such a tease some times :behave

I'm on it :thumbsup

23. Dargas

Dargas Member

I want one! that's it. I know this will be the greatest Original Tron Disc prop ever made. I'll just start massing cash man. I want one without a doubt.

chances of making a red one too? that would be nice!

24. 9Gs

9Gs New Member

Love the details. I'm excited to see what it'll look like finished. I'm particularly intrigued by the defraction disc.

25. Canobi

That means a lot :$ thanks :)

Consider it done :thumbsup

So much effort has gone into getting it to this stage, especially with all the upheavels and life changes that the guys were going through and still managed to * time to turn my concept (and some of theirs) into beautiful works of 3D art that can be made reality (like this one :)).

It is indeed possible to make a red one, all you need to do is swop out the blue tinted Perspex (see costruction pic in first post) for the red one that will also come with the disc :thumbsup

26. Canobi

All credit to Davlin for the lens, it's his creation. His idea is that when you tilt the disc around, it will play with the light in an odd but subtle way (like the discs did in the film), giving it a kind of "life" as it were.

I'm as exited as you are to see this one light up :thumbsup

27. Canobi

Hi all

Dropped kids off at school this morning and got on with stuff

All prepped, waxed and secured
    [​IMG]

Silicone on standby just begging to be used
    [​IMG]

Pouring this slowly from a hight (till I get my replacement chamber)
    [​IMG]

And my worst nightmare! Not enough silicone!! Silicone sticks to silicone right????
    [​IMG]

28. UnholySpectacle

UnholySpectacle New Member

Hope this proto wont be wasted. Good luck with the rest of the work.

29. Rebelscum

Rebelscum Sr Member

I once poured a 2 part mold without release on part 1 and though it was difficult get separation it started, the two parts came apart cleanly.

It felt like it would have stayed together fine if I hadn't needed it apart.

30. Canobi

Hi guys

I ordered more silicone, the clear resin and the roto resin today. I'm hoping it'll arrive early next week as it'll coincide with some much earned time off work (very handy :thumbsup). I've kept the mould covered and hopefully dust (or anything else) free as possible in the hope the next layer will bond better.

We'll have to see how it turns out I guess (fingers crossed).

31. Canobi

Hi all

More supplies arrived this morning, so I will be finishing the one side of the mould today, other side tomorrow and casting the first pull (with bands) on Saturday.

With any luck it will come out OK :confused

32. Canobi

Hi all

Quick update

Well there's good news, and bad news.

The good news is they the top layer of silicone bonded really well to the rest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, as I turned it over to start on the other side the master dropped straight out of the mould. I was going to make the undercut part of the second half, but in hindsight, it would have held the disc in place :facepalm. As such it's no longer viable to make the prototype with :cry

However, as it's captured so much of the detail, I might offer some slush casts (as I cures white) at a very cheap price to those that might want to have a screen accurate black and white one. The rim will need a lot of attention as there will be some exess resin where the clay had been layed up for the other half of the mould (hence the cheap price)

I'll turn one out when I get back from work tonight, and put up pics.

If its something you guys might concider I'll only be selling them for £15 each so I can gather back some funds for some replacement silicone for the prototype.

More soon....

33. Stormshadow

Stormshadow Well-Known Member

As you know I am so down for the finished product(s)...still most likely would like 2 of each..one back up for when my child hurls it across the room.....

34. Canobi

Hi Storm :)

These will be relatively heavy, so it probably won't be hurled very far :lol

35. Canobi

Hi all :)

Quick update

while the parts look nice and shiny in the pics, they just aren't good enough for my liking (not to say I'm unhappy with the parts, far from it), so I bought an aluminium polishing kit to make them as close to mirror smooth as I possibly can without killing the details.

I'm going to skip the most abrasive wheel as the finish on the parts are already very good and show no machine marks that I need it for. I also bought two specially shaped finishing buffers for concave/convex parts.

I'm pretty busy for most of this week and it's my birthday on Friday, but hopefully I'll be able to get started at the weekend. I'll keep you guys posted :thumbsup

More soon....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  36. Canobi

Hi all

Quick update

The last of the supplies arrived five minutes ago, so I will be able to get on with things this weekend and hopefully make some decent progress.

I've also got to get the degassing chamber sorted properly. I'm having a lip welded around the rim as the JB weld didn't stand up to the task. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my homemade chamber and I'm looking forward to using it properly.

More soon....

37. B4DW0LF

B4DW0LF Active Member

I feel my life would be incomplete without one of these... let me know when it comes available

Paul

38. Canobi

Shure thing buddy :thumbsup

39. renderinfo

renderinfo Active Member

Thanks for everything. Keep the frequent updates coming on the progress of this one. I am really excited to see the finished project!

[R U Slacking, a week with no updates?!? - JUST KIDDING!!!!!]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  40. Canobi

Hi all

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I was involved in a car accident a week last Friday and it wrote off my car. I'm ok now thankfully, but my wife's car also blew it's head gasket so I'm having to buy TWO new cars for the family now :(

It's not all bad news though. I had some time to think about the processes I'll be going through and realised I had missed a few items from my shopping list. Most of them have been bought and delivered, I'm just waiting on some of the medium/fine grit wet n dry to arrive so I can start the long process of sanding and buffing the parts :thumbsup

More soon....

41. Vader1

Vader1 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very sorry to hear the bad news. Really glad only the car got hurt.

42. Canobi

Thanks Vader1, I'm back up to speed again, and raring to get crackin with the projects again this week :thumbsup

43. renderinfo

renderinfo Active Member

Looking forward to some new pics of your progress! :)

44. Canobi

Man, so am I. Sorry for the cliff hanger everyone, but I'm still waiting for the wet n dry to arrive (hopefully by tomorrow, fingers crossed).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  45. Travman93

Travman93 Member

I'm extremely excited for this! I participated in the Tron: Legacy ARG when it was in its beginning stages all the way through. I have my eye on this thread!

46. Canobi

Man, that must have been so cool! Thanks for the compliment :)

47. Canobi

Hi all

I got bored of waiting, so I've decided I'm going to get started tonight after I gave the parts a good clean, and another good look.

There are a few sanding marks left from a fine grit sand paper that need sanding out on both sides of the two parts (you can just make them out in the earlier pics).

Oddly the tops look to be finished with a finer grit then the undersides so I'll be addressing that small issue when the other wet n dry gets here, but for now, I'm jumping in with the 1500 grit for both top halves.

Once both sides of the two parts are sanded with the 3000 grit, it's on to the buff n polishing.

Expect more soon....

48. Canobi

Hi all

I worked on the underside of the lens last night to see if it was good enough to carry on with using the grades I already have. I started with the 1500 (my next lowest grade is 600) but stopped at 2000 as it became obvious it wasn't working.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, even though it's reflecting better, there are still some courser grade scratches showing. As such I'll be back-sanding this side again to address that issue.

I also want to give a quick reminder to everyone that the original mould will be destroyed to help make the "new improved" version. If anyone wants a white slush cast from it for only £15 + shipping (due to the rim cleanup involved), then order soon or it will be too late.

More soon....

49. Canobi

Good cycle program's, ISO's and users :)

Well, here it is everyone, the long awaited first pour. I mounted the mould and base on a potters finishing wheel and hand spun it till the resin set in two pours. One for the middle, the second pour for the rim. De-mould in about 20 mins :) :thumbsup

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  50. Canobi

Oh yeh, and the rest of my wet n dry arrived this afternoon, so I'll be wrecking my elbow on the lens underside again when I get back from late shift.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012