TRANSPARENT RESIN TEST CASTING....

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Chewie15, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Hi Everyone.

I wanted to share my latest experiment... I'm using some transparent resin to cast a few things and wanted to try a 'test' on my own Oldman Bust. All of the paint work is actually from the inside (as I was casting) I did many layers of flesh and mottling from the inside so it would look as real as possible. Not much other than the eyes dremeled out for eye placement... but this is pretty much straight from the mold. Of course once I paint on capillarys, freckles, liver spots, etc, the skin will become more realistic.

I'm working on another 'horror' character right now that has lots of vein work and needs to be very transparent so I'm using Drac here as the experiment :)
    I think I'm going to ad real hair on this Oldman like Jeff Camps Latest, his bust was very inspirational to say the least..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 'new' project will be reveiled later this week ;)

H

2. CTF

CTF Sr Member

You are a god among men. B)

That is so awesome. I can't wait to see Ben Kenobi... ;)

:p

3. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Very nice work -- very cool technique.

Any progress pics?

4. rileyreplicas

rileyreplicas Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wicked cool Howard :) I have a question for you, will you be adding the veins to the "outside" of the head since it is already painted? I like the look Howard, I can't wait to see your next project :)

5. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Holy cow. That is freaky.
    I love that technique. . . looks terrific.

6. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No truer words were ever spoken. It looks like a wax sculpture. Howard your skills are scary. :)

7. vaders evil twin

vaders evil twin New Member

Yeah. Seriously Howard, your starting to scare me. For the love of God man, please stop before you lose control of this talent and put us all in jeopardy.

8. Simmon M

Simmon M Sr Member

Sweet Christmas ... that looks creepy. I love the transparent resin and your paint job thus far. Is there nothing you can't do?

I also can't wait to see your next project ... :)

9. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

AMAZING. Just awesome. Thanks again for sharing your work Howard. I love seeing it. This is one of my favorite Oldman characters, he elevated that whole film, and you captured the character's essense in every way.. :thumbsup

Noeland-------------------

10. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks better than a silcone bust.

Amazing work.

-Zoid

11. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

Howard that is incredible...it's almost creepy

12. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

Holy Toledo, that's awesome.

13. Betamin

Betamin Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My god you suck so badly it makes me sick.........

:p That is amazing, simply amazing. It has the look of thin, elderly skin as it should be. Paper thin and nearly transparent. Damned impressive work.

14. MR BARLOW

MR BARLOW Well-Known Member

That looks creepy as heck ...

B:)

15. Hand-Schaub

Hand-Schaub Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

16. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Woweee. That's amazing. What a unique look.

What kind of resin are you using for this? I would LOVE to see some WIP photos of this process...anything to de-mystify your scary supernatural sculpting talent.

BTW, I like the sculpted hair better.

17. frosty

frosty Sr Member

great work bud, looks great, now stop putting the rest of us to shame please. :p

18. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

very cool. it looks like a wax or silicone bust. i would love to see some WIP pics, but since most of this was done in the mold.. that might be kinda hard to do :lol

i dig it. its very very very lifelike, and spooky to boot.

great work as usaul :)
    chris

19. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

You never seize to amaze me.

Excellent. :)

20. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW. Translucent skin... in resin. WOW. :eek

21. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Thanks. I actually got this idea from a few other guys who have been doing these transparent like castings... the only difference is recently I was talking with an FX pro and he was telling me about a piece they did for a trade show and how they layered it in the mold as it was being casted... thanks Steve.

The resin I'm using right now is not made for slush or brushing in layers so I had to go really slow with this, it took about 3-4 hours to cast. I'm looking for a better resin that will slush nicely and maybe then I'll snap some shots of the process... I think its worth the extra time, because you have to paint white resin anyhow and some things like 'Vampires' need to have that creepy transparent look to them so you can see all if their really dark veins under the skin ;)

H

22. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

very cool.

Is it possible to hit this with a light mist of matte finish to make it a little less "waxy"? (don't see why not, but ya never know with these things.)

I love the way the redness around the eyes and nostrils comes through. Nicely done.

Tom

23. Gruson

Gruson Well-Known Member

As usual, incredible work.

24. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

That's possible but I want this and my next 'vampire' piece to seem super translucent (waxy) so they'll be really creepy with all the veins, etc... I want them to appear very corpsy.
    But when I do a normal portrait, I would just make the layers on the inside more opaque.

This is also just a 'test' piece so I can iron out anything now so when I do my next project I should have it down... I hope ;)

H

25. greatgarlando

greatgarlando Well-Known Member

Test Piece my A## That looks Dang near perfect. :eek

26. hollywoodhardware

hollywoodhardware Sr Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghh.... I nearly $hit myself. That looks dang creepy.... shudder...

Best of both worlds: long lasting super sturdy but translucent lifelike - great composition.

Can't wait to see what's up next ;) :D

Thomas

27. Sith Prop Lord

Sith Prop Lord New Member

Howard, that is fantastic. It does indeed look like wax or silicone. What type of tints did you use on it? I am looking forward to seeing your WIP of the next vampire test you make. Awesome work as usual :thumbsup .

28. Lupus Yonderboy

Lupus Yonderboy Well-Known Member

Mind-boggling mate.
    I agree. Can't wait to see it with veins, spots and all that jazz... Amazing.
    /P

29. lionelz

lionelz Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awsome piece looks like the dead actually come to life . Bill

30. Kris

Kris Sr Member

I actualy yelled out WOW out loud when seeing that. Hope no one heard me. ;)

31. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Thanks again Everyone.

Like I was saying in the first post... I actually put down a thin layer of clear resin and airbrushed flesh directly inside the mold. I kept repeating this process and started adding veins as it got thicker to blend the colors in better from the inside. I also did more red and blue near nose, ears and eyes...

There are no tints involved in this :) If I do a WIP on the next test I will try and find some kind of tint and another type of polyurethane because what I used was not designed for slushing or brushing and it was super time consuming...

H

32. Super Serg

Super Serg Well-Known Member

Wow.
    That's cool as HELL. (Hell being the key word here)

Wonder if light would shine through if you put a bulb on the inside...

GREAT JOB.

*ss*

33. Scapey

Scapey Sr Member

Whoa.
    Stunning.

34. darienvader

darienvader Well-Known Member

Those images give me the creeps . . . fantastic job, Howard. What a great technique and thanks for sharing...

35. xaoslord

xaoslord Well-Known Member

A realistic looking flesh using a resin? I wouldn't have thought it would be possible. Fanstastic work.

36. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

It won't because I backed it with regular white resin when I was happy with the build-up of the clear...

I do however think that would be cool with an E.T. statue for example... cast him in a translucent brown color and ad lights in the chest and tip on the finger :)

H

37. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

And you don't have any problem with air bubbles.?

38. Rocketeer390

Rocketeer390 Well-Known Member

Stunningly life-like. The transparency turns up the realism of a brilliant sculpt.