Transaction Gone Wrong - Batman Grapple Gun

MattMunson

Master Member
I am posting this thread for two reasons: information, and a hope for resolution. I know how these threads go. I've seen it happen a million times in the past. I don't want to start a flame war. I hope the mods will help prune this thread as necessary.

Despite the fact that I am IMMENSELY upset and distraught over this transaction, I will do my best to stick to documented facts.

The transaction took place between RPF user TK-4140 and me. This user goes by the name GermanBat on other forums, and signs his name "Guido".

I recognize that TK-4140 has had many successful transactions with fellow board members. However, that does not change the facts of THIS transaction.

here's the simplified breakdown of events:

1. Guido offered an ALL METAL replica of the Batman 89 spear gun.
2. I PM'd Guido to discuss the piece, and asked for confirmation that the piece is ALL METAL.
3. Guido confirmed that the piece was ALL METAL.
4. We negotiated a price, which I paypalled to him immediately.
5. The piece arrived and was NOT all metal. I recognized it immediately as an SDStudios piece. There were a couple of metal parts on it, but the bulk of the body and "business end" were resin.
6. I emailed Guido and informed him that the piece was not all metal, and that I felt he had misrepresented the piece.
7. Translating loosely, Guido told me to go to hell, demanding that it was indeed all metal.
8. I removed a metal plate from the piece and took pictures of the tan, primered resin inside, emailed them to guido as proof that it was mostly resin.
9. Guido insisted that he has no interest in doing anything further on this transaction.

So there you have it. Guido represented the piece as all metal, which it is not. The ONLY reason I purchased this piece is because I was led to believe it was all metal. I was in posession of an SDStudios kit at the time of this purchase, and really didn't need another.

The fact that Guido was completely unrepentent, showed NO remorse, and absolutely refused to believe that the piece he sold me was made of resin demonstrates either a complete lack of familiarity with building materials, or an inability to accept the truth when it is looking you in the face.

YES, I am hoping that the attention this thread brings will force Guido's hand, and he will be willing to make this transaction right. Since he has demonstrated no desire to do so in private communications, I'm really hoping that some friendly pressure from fellow board members and collectors will work in my favor.

And while I know I have my detractors on this board, I hope that any one with open eyes and a rational mind can see that this is a transaction gone wrong, and deserves to be rectified.

Thanks for reading.

So he's not even considering the proof that you've shown him???
If true, and he reads this (I'm sure he will) please remember:
"A bad reputation is VERY difficult thing to come back from".

In the spirit of the RPF, please do the right thing. This is a hobby. Please don't take the fun out of it. :unsure

That sucks, Matt. I know that the board has a "buy at your own risk" unspoken law, but shouldn't the moderators intervene in SOME way? Account bans, IP tracking or so forth?

At the very least, can't you dispute the charge to your Paypal?

Good luck, brother!

That's not a bad idea. A Paypal dispute may be the way to go. But let's wait until we get the other side of the story.

Good luck, Matt
I did a trade with him a long while back for some Vader boxes. Sent my item priority mail and waited and waited and never got the boxes. When I pm'ed him he claimed that he sent them by boat( yes boat !!! ). After a few unprofessional emails from him I just gave up since he claimed he never got the circuit I sent. Now, I suppose it is possible that he never got the circuit, but just the entire deal with him left a bad taste in my mouth.

Good luck, Matt
I did a trade with him a long while back for some Vader boxes. Sent my item priority mail and waited and waited and never got the boxes. When I pm'ed him he claimed that he sent them by boat( yes boat !!! ). After a few unprofessional emails from him I just gave up since he claimed he never got the circuit I sent. Now, I suppose it is possible that he never got the circuit, but just the entire deal with him left a bad taste in my mouth.

Wait, wait, wait. Why did he say he sent them (by boat) then later claimed he never got the circuit? Wouldn't he of just said initially that he never sent them as your circuit never arrived or am I reading this wrong?

Well Funky, I believe we both agreed to ship at the same time so I sent out my electronic cylon eye circuit as a trade for his Vader boxes. Thing is, I have sent out dozens of items priority mail international and they have always arrived. It is entirely possible he didn't receive it, but why send the boxes out by boat? I just chalked it up experience.

That sucks, Matt. I know that the board has a "buy at your own risk" unspoken law, but shouldn't the moderators intervene in SOME way? Account bans, IP tracking or so forth?

At the very least, can't you dispute the charge to your Paypal?

Good luck, brother!

Ah yes, I left that part out of the narrative. I did indeed file a claim with paypal. HOWEVER, paypal only offers protection against unshipped goods. They do not offer protection against misrepresented items. Go paypal!

And while you are right, there is a "buy at your own risk" policy, I usually apply that to things like resin kits. You know, you never know how good a kit is going to be.

But I don't think anyone enters into a transaction expecting it to go wrong.

Either way, thanks to all who have shown support.

So he's not even considering the proof that you've shown him???
If true, and he reads this (I'm sure he will) please remember:
"A bad reputation is VERY difficult thing to come back from".

In the spirit of the RPF, please do the right thing. This is a hobby. Please don't take the fun out of it. :unsure

Thanks also Funky for the support. I used the words "do the right thing" NUMEROUS times in my communications with him. Even after I showed him the picture of the gun guts. what a mess.

i've got a transaction thats messed up like this going on at the mo, but the other way round, i'm the seller, sold an item on ebay with an accurate description, buyer won the item, then when he got it he claims its not as described, turns out he just didnt read the auction right. anyway, i left it up to paypal to decide if he should get a refund (knowing fully that my description was correct so paypal would side with me) and they sided with the buyer! and now i have to give a refund for no reason (which i'm not happy about at all!)

anyway, my point is, if need be, take it up with paypal, they'll side with you as you're the buyer. just tell them its not as described and you'll be well away

Ah yes, I left that part out of the narrative. I did indeed file a claim with paypal. HOWEVER, paypal only offers protection against unshipped goods. They do not offer protection against misrepresented items. Go paypal!.

You may want to double check Matt.

I filed a paypal claim like a year ago because I recieved a counterfeit item on evilbay. The "item was not as describe". I proved to paypal that it wasn't as described, and I got a full refund from paypal.

I strongly recommend to look at it again, but Hurry because I know they have a time limit to file a dispute.

Michael

Last edited:
I would see what Pay-pal might do.

Sorry to hear that you are having problems Matt.

Seems like he is an A-hole and the way he did Nicksdad confirms that he is. :unsure

I hope things get worked out.

Do you have a surname for this guy? Sounds a lot like someone i have been trying to get armour for for some of the RPB members. if its the same guy I am sure i have a phone number somewhere.

Well here's my two cents.

Matt - You helped me out lots when I was looking for a metal R2D2 and I found you to be extremely knowledgable and a great guy to deal with. You took the time to answer all of my questions about R2 and gave me a great start on my search.

Guido- You are very knowledgable about Batman props. You have also offered several batman props to members here.

I'm no fool either about batman props either. But when it comes to that "metal" grappling hook from 89. I must admit back in the day I was confused because I assumed that SD studios was the ONLY one who made a metal (partly metal) grapple gun. Thus, when people said "metal grapple gun" I assumed it was just the SD studios one.

The same thing might be going on here. I do have a FULL metal one and I still, to this date, have no idea who made it. Someone in the junkyard kindly told me when I put up my WTB ad in the junkyard that the SD studios one wasn't all metal (because I myself wrote "i want a all metal SD studios 89grapple gun")

The same thing might be happening here but in reverse. Guido might not have known that there is actually an ALL metal grapple gun and then just sold the SD studios gun thinking that it was the all metal gun that Matt was looking for.

~T

The stuff I'm hearing about paypal is weird. I went through the whole process, and they sent me an email explicitly saying that they do not deal with my kinds of issues. Maybe at the time their policy was different? I'm not really sure. They said they have a policy if you get the WRONG item, and maybe that's where I blew it. Should have just skipped the complicated facts and told them he sent me the wrong item. Either way, that ship has sailed :(

Either way, I do appreciate the support.

I know guido is aware of this thread, and it looks like he has chosen to ignore it. That's too bad, though it comes as no surprise. The pattern here is him failing to do the right thing on what is a transparently obvious issue.

File the claim again and this time say it wasn't the right item.

Other than that get the Mods here to give him some gentle persuasion to fix the issue.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back