TOS phaser consensus question...

Chrisisall

Sr Member
Okay, I'm currently working on my AA/DS phaser, and it seems like the clear emitter *may* be a couple of mm too long. Richard Coyle blueprints say no. Screen caps from hero phasers say yes. Screen caps from midgrade "Cloud Minders" says maybe.

phaseraccurizing011.jpg

So, a couple of mm isn't much at all in the scheme of things, but I was just interested in getting some peanut gallery feedback on this.
My gut instinct says take it down 1 mm, just to be sure.
But should I go for 2?
Or leave it alone?

It varied a bit from mid-grade to mid-grade and the shot in the dirt from "Cloud Minders" is one of the heroes with the removable P1. That one has the nozzle retracted part of the way in because of how the spring mechanism works. Unless you are trying to replicate a specific screen used Phaser I would make it whatever length looks good to you. :lol

having studied screen caps from episodes and a gajillion threads discussing this prop, there is no definitive length on nozzle as they appear to vary from prop to prop -- unless, of course, you have a specific screen used prop in mind that you are trying to replicate (one of the hero phasers for example) -- and as the emitter retracted on the hero versions, it depends on the episode and the scene within the episode you are referencing as the nozzle can be seen at different lengths.

also, some appeared to be solid, others hollow with "grain o'wheat" light bulbs inside tip that served as a guide for animators adding in the phaser beams in optical post effects.

so i say make it the length you like, modeled after whichever version you liked the best.

I'd either leave it alone, or choose ONE specific phaser prop and go all out to duplicate all of the various details.

Simply put no two phasers were identical especially between hero and midgrade props. The blueprints on Coyle's site were designed to be an average among several props, including some that turned out to be fakes.

The hero phasers typically had a shorter emitter (even when it was extended by the P1). The mids emitters were typically longer but as already stated they all varied from unit to unit.

I was going to add my 2 cents but you already have good advice from The TOS heavyweights here, all the posts above mine, listen to em, ya can't go wrong.

Okay, now... to round off the corners on P1, or not to- that is my next question...
phaseraccurizing012.jpg

I'm leaning towards 'not'. However, the rounded corners do kind of look interesting, even if it was only a practical choice as the series progressed & tunics got snagged.:lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back